Keychain Stiletto?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JohnnyCache

Keychain Stiletto?

Post by JohnnyCache »

I've always wanted a stiletto... and I'm still yearning for the day I can comfortably afford a frank b. picklock.. but in the meantime...

I found a few keychain stilettos that are "made in Italy"-- has anyone had any experience with these?

I had my eye on this one:
http://www.myswitchblade.com/Italian_Pi ... hnwhit.htm

...but... this site claims frank b. makes theirs [i didnt really believe it... but would love to be wrong]:
http://www.uniqueblade.com/products/Sti ... 48-67.html

Are these knives of any quality? I dont want to lose an eye toying with one of these things.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
JohnnyCache

Re: Keychain Stiletto?

Post by JohnnyCache »

also... I noticed the absence of a safety mechanism... will this thing accidentally flick in my pocket? I cant imagine a worse place for a sharp object to be--
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

no edge on them.
JohnnyCache

Post by JohnnyCache »

This site makes it a point to note multiple times that they are "very sharp":

http://www.shop.hurricanedeckcutlery.co ... uctId=3115

Do you think they're describing the product accurately or just trying to sell a novelty?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

No edge.
No safety.
Easily opens unintentionally !
Does Frank "make" them ????
That is way too complex to answwer. They are made in Italy and Frank does market or has marketed them :idea:
Great toy, not really useful :wink:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Vagrant wrote: Easily opens unintentionally!
Great toy, not really useful
Indeed they do - Dangling keys WILL open them onna key chain!

There is a serious "cuteness factor."
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
h1942

Post by h1942 »

How old are you? Hank
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I bought a 4 1/2" one on ebay for about $12.00, and the spring broke within a couple of months. So an internet search eventually led me to TalkBlade, where I became interested in real switchblades. That was some years ago. Never did find a replacement spring for the knife, but eventually I didn't care. It was a poor substitute for my Swiss Army Classic. You're ahead of the curve; you are here already, so why bother with a cheap little novelty knife, when you can get started right away hooking up with ProTechs, Burns, Leverlettos, etc.?

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JerrBear wrote:
Vagrant wrote: Easily opens unintentionally!
Great toy, not really useful
Indeed they do - Dangling keys WILL open them onna key chain!

There is a serious "cuteness factor."
Convert one to an earring, and the "opens easily" becomes MORE important :wink: :!:
JohnnyCache

Post by JohnnyCache »

hank- im about to turn 26

tr4252- I agree.. I have since abandoned the desire for the keychain and am currently toying with the idea of purchasing a real frank b [i've always wanted one].

Im hunting for a new FB 11" olivewood bayonet hopefully around the $50 USD price range.. so far no luck though.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Just for giggles....

It will clean your fingernails :Image
:)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I once field dressed a moose...er, I mean mouse with one. :lol:
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

Check out the "Good Guy's" list on this forum. Ya can't go wrong with one of those sellers. That's what it's there for.
The Unique Switchblades website states italian stillettos are ideal for police and military use. I don't know about the military, but a stilletto type knife would be useless for law enforcement type work and I've never known a law enforcement officer to carry one. They aren't ideal for "slicing" as the blades are unsharpened. I'd be suspicious of any website making these claims to try to convince you to buy a knife. Just my humble opinion. Good lick!!!!
partsproduction

Post by partsproduction »

I bought one to keep the coffee table, to do a thousand things I use a small knife for in the house. I sharpened it razor sharp, the only switchblade I've ever sharpened. I carried it for a while but it did in fact open in my pocket several times. Worse, anything even close to serious load will cause it to unlock BACKWARDS! It will try to move away from the cut. Ah well, a toy, but useful for very small jobs.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I bought a few of these in Italy years ago. The springs break quickly !! I did find a good cheap replacement spring was the straight half of a woman's hair pin or "Barbie" pin. I cut it to size, bent it and it would work for a month or so then need replacement. Almost as long as the spring that came with it !!