White micarts swingaurd

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

White micarts swingaurd

Post by leighdog »

I did a swap for the white micarta swingaurd from a member here.When i got it is was ok but did need some tlc and the spring wasnt very snappy.I sent it to Texasmad to fix it and man o man he did an awesome job on it.It looks like a brand new knife.Absolutely amazing.I highly recommend Mitch to repair a knife if you are in need.I had several offers from members here but finally chose Mitch.Here is a picture of it.My camera doesnt do it justice but its the best i can do.
Attachments
DSC00887.JPG
DSC00887.JPG (60.35 KiB) Viewed 5584 times
redeye

Re: White micarts swingaurd

Post by redeye »

very nice there dog me likey alot
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Leigh , looks great ,you picked the right guy for the job. :wink:
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks guys,i got it from chad.He is a new member here and posted a photo of his collection.He has a video of it on youtube.Mitches work is outstanding.Something just told me to let him do it.Also the price was hard to beat($18.00).I really like the scales on it.i saw a picture on armandos site but it isnt available to buy.I cant imagine why he stopped making these.People would surely want a knife like this""
SRD115

Post by SRD115 »

I'm not quite sure what micarta is. My understanding is it is similar to frostwood in construction. That is different layers of colored wood which are stacked and glued and then shaped to fit the knife being constructed which brings out the color of the different wood layers. I've read that micarta is stacked linen instead of wood, as noted above, but I'm not quite sure how the process works. Can anybody provide some more info???
I think I've also heard it referred to as imitation ivory. Is this correct? Or is imitation ivory something else again?
That is a very nice swingguard by the way!!!
Thx much, SRD
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

Helluva nice swinger, Leighdog. The micarta is really cool. Mitch did a great job, as always.

Does it have the guards that are off center? I always liked the swingers with the off-center guards, Teddy's opinion not withstanding.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

Thanks for the kind words Leigh, it really wasn't that much besides a new spring and a little spit shine. I am really happy you got it to me quick so I was able to get it done and back out to you before Thursday so you didn't have to wait on me to be able to do it. 8)
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Not a problem.you mentioned in the PM about your surgery so i wanted to get it to you asap.I cant imagine what more you could have done with it.I couldnt be happier, Leighdog
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

hey Jarvis,it looks like the gaurds are off center.Im not sure what you mean?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

SRD115 wrote:I'm not quite sure what micarta is. My understanding is it is similar to frostwood in construction. That is different layers of colored wood which are stacked and glued and then shaped to fit the knife being constructed which brings out the color of the different wood layers. I've read that micarta is stacked linen instead of wood, as noted above, but I'm not quite sure how the process works. Can anybody provide some more info???
I think I've also heard it referred to as imitation ivory. Is this correct? Or is imitation ivory something else again?
That is a very nice swingguard by the way!!!
Thx much, SRD
It's paper , linen , or canvas impregnated with resin then pressed under high pressure.
They refer to the white as ivory , because it can be scrimshawed.
Comes in many colors and multicolors.
I made some home made denim for a knife I did about a year ago.
Just saw a tutorial today on doing it with cloth and twisting it before pressing it.
The result looked great , looks like damascus. Might give it a try when I find the time.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Imitation ivory is a plastic derived from $100+ dollar a barrel oil from mother earth.At least i think so?
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

leighdog wrote:Imitation ivory is a plastic derived from $100+ dollar a barrel oil from mother earth.At least i think so?
Pretty much ,althouth there are several types. some very realistic looking while most look like white plastic.
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

leighdog wrote:Hey Jarvis, it looks like the guards are off center. I'm not sure what you mean?
There was a run of Indiana swinguards several (maybe four or five?) years ago that had all the guards off center.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Mr Jarvis,the gaurds are off center on this one for sure.Does it have more value that way?
butch

Post by butch »

if its made by jndiana yes,they no longer make knives.