Help Please -- Trying to learn about an Italian Automatic

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Digger

Help Please -- Trying to learn about an Italian Automatic

Post by Digger »

I have an Italian auto from about the early 60's with stag (simulated?) scales and a shotgun shell puller on the butt. The blade is not a stilletto type but much shorter - about 4". It says Inox on the blade. Any info. on this knife would be appreciated. The auto opening feature does not work anymore.. Any good repair people out there?

Thanks
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Back then in the mid-60' and before "Inox" was it's own company it would be called stainless in english, long story short it closed down and knife makers all over europe use (mostly Italy) use it as a term for stainless, INOX sounds better the stainless (to me anywayz). If it has shot-gun shell pullers with a 4" blade and probably stag it's a large lever lock. Well by todays knife making standards because most lever locks aren't any bigger the 3 1/2" expect for Mikovs.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, not to contradict any of the resident experts here.... but the knife in question, if it has shell pullers on the rear, is a fairly rare knife. It is a button lock, not a lever lock, and was sold by the Zoppis company in the late 1960s-early 1970s.
If this description is correct, the knife is reasonably valuable and worth repair.
Bill DeShivs
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Shell puller on the REAR? Can anybody post a pic of that? I'd love to see what one looks like.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can't post pics here, but there were several knives made with shell pullers on the rear. Most had clip-point blades and a ring-pull or fulcrum release lever. They were button-opening knives. The lever lock shell-pullers had the pullers on the front.
Bill