'Flick' or Gravity Knives...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jim Cissell

'Flick' or Gravity Knives...

Post by Jim Cissell »

Can the 'Kissing Crane' or 'Falcon' stilettos be considered 'gravity' knives?

Thanks,
Jim
Milu

Re: 'Flick' or Gravity Knives...

Post by Milu »

Interesting question that leads to lots of "it depends" :wink: :wink:

Because I spent my formative years in England a flick knife for me means an automatic knife, usually but not always a stiletto. A gravity knife to me is a front opening knife where the blade is released by gravity, not driven by a spring.

I suspect that because they are often illegal many policeman would use the interpretation that: if the knife can be opened by the weight of the blade or a physical movement such as a flick of the wrist then they will consider it a gravity knife. This may in their eyes include knives opened with a stud, a hood, a hole, a flicket or other. Pretty stupid as like a lot of us I can open most single blade knives one-handed.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Jim Cissell wrote:Can the 'Kissing Crane' or 'Falcon' stilettos be considered 'gravity' knives?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim,
Here are some links to old posts about or concerning the auto KCs. I have never found a auto KC stiletto. all the pictures are gone.

http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... sing+crane

Claudster,

The 15"er is a Genuine Kissing Crane Kris blade w/ KC45 stamped on the Ricasso (new book=new words). Whomever performed the conversion did a fine job. They switched the scales and and made new penetrations for the blade release and lock. The front scale is on the back as depicted in the photo. Note the original small brass KC medallion in the back scale. What's cool about that knife is that I have the same one in the original manual configuration.

I need a few more examples complete my set of 9" Stags - 5 down, 4 more to go.

I really am fond of the 13" AGA Campolin Picklock. Tydy came thru w/ flying colors on that deal.

My FB 11" Stag Damasco Picklock prolly exhibits some of the finest workmanship of all my Italians. And its a pointy mother also.

Included in the group photo is my big 37 incher. Funny - it still smells like deep fried turkey.........

I hope you all enjoyed viewing my humble collection.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Claudster,
To release the blade on the converted KC45 one needs to raise the blade lock picklock style. Prolly when the evil genius who converted it installed the kickspring made the lockback inoperable. Its a sweet piece for certain and I've had it for about 10 years or so. It has some goofy medalion epoxied around the release button. It states "Second Anniversary", tried to remove it but it would have f***ed up the stag, so it remains. I remember paying 200 for it at a Crossroads of the West Gunshow in Phx AZ. Hell - I thought two hundred was a lot of money, now I drop two bills like chump change and next month bighair starts driving. Who wants to buy more spring steel when one can pay really big bux for a teenagers car insurance??????

Post by Tom19176 »

Jim, True gravity knives open in the same manner as an out the front with out the spring, instead gravity or the thrust of your wrist opens them. I have many Kissing Cranes and almost all can be flicked open and in NY and many other states that would make them a gravity knife by the legal definition of the term and case law. They are also designed for use as a weapon and that triggers the illegal knife charge in many states.

Claudster, I have to learn how to post pictures as I have many KKs, Falcons and other lock backs you would love, and a ton of brand new Westbury Sales stuff that sat around from the 70s. I saw you collection in the past on the web and we do have similar likes....
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Tom19176 wrote:
Claudster, I have to learn how to post pictures as I have many KKs, Falcons and other lock backs you would love, and a ton of brand new Westbury Sales stuff that sat around from the 70s. I saw you collection in the past on the web and we do have similar likes....

Tom,
I would love to see your knives. There seem to be fewer and fewer KCs on auction and I hear they are discontinued but thats hearsay. I never find any of the older Falcons anymore and even less of the Edge Co. stilettos.
Read the help file on how to post picture and see if that helps. It's good to see a nother collector that likes the manuals.
Steve
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
Jim Cissell

Post by Jim Cissell »

I guess I'm wondering if these Kissing Carnes are truely 'gravity' open (or flick), or simply a type of non-automatic that needs a lot of 'loosening up' to get it to function in that manner.

The one feature that concerns me from what I've read is the so called safety catch that stops the action in mid-cycle. Is that something that would prevent a true flick open?

Ultimately, I'm looking for an authentic, current production, Italian stiletto-styled, gravity knife, and the only options I seem to have is a seemingly cheap version available from Asia, and possibly these Kissing Cranes.

Thanks,
Jim
Veech

Post by Veech »

There were some coil spring KC autos made most likely in the 1960's. They were etched with the Kissing Cranes on the blade. They are Italian made for KC.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

Sorry to go off topic.....but I have a question about the Kissing Crane stiletto's......I notice that some say made in Germany....and some say made in Italy.....some have carbon steel blades and some have stainless steel blades....which are the ones that are considered more collectible....or higher quality or whatever?
Veech

Post by Veech »

All of the KC stilettos are Italian made. I prefer carbon steel for the most part but you won't find many KC stilettos in carbon steel.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I just found this on ebay....is there a way to tell if a KC stiletto is a Chinese knock off?
KISSING CRANE - MADE IN CHINA
German cutlery manufacturer Kissing Crane moves to FULL Chinese manufacture. Yes another one bites the dust. It's hard to say how long before the Made in China Kissing Crane knives were already out there but now it's official. Some GERMAN Kissing Crane still exist with the round shield. Stilettos were already made in Italy as well as a few others. Before Made in Italy was not on the Stilettos, now it is! It is sad to see a German Co. go to China. Kissing Crane is distributed in the USA by United Cutlery, a company heavily in Chinese cutlery.
To complicate things even further, Germany has no country of origin laws, so things can get dicey when it comes to German cutlery. For years, unscrupulous manufacturers and importers have had cheap knives made for them, then imported them into Germany. They then stamp "Germany" on them, and sell them domestically or send them around the world. The key phrase here being "unscrupulous" makers or importers. Update: No factories make knives in Germany, they are all made in the European Union using German Design.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Jim, the caught does not stop them from flicking opne it does more to stop it from closing on your fingers. Look at these Falcon knives.....http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce ... =FA8023HBT

They are well made and cheap
79spitfire

Post by 79spitfire »

Yes, the Falcons are well made, and they are available in a wide price range. They have decent steel in them too, seem to hold an edge, I carry one semi-regular.
What knife?

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I have picked up the 9" honey horn Falcons for as low as $5 on Ebay. The 11' were the same price as the 9" ones at SMKW, but they only carry the 9s now. Very good knives for the price.
Springmesser

Post by Springmesser »

I wonder if them Falcon stilettos are the same knives as the Kissing Crane stilettos? :)

They are.... :D
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Off topic, but here is a Kissing Crane marked auto stiletto up for auction.
http://www.sharperdeals.net/auction_det ... n_id=14959