1988 5th Anniversary EdgeCo Catalog

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gunner

1988 5th Anniversary EdgeCo Catalog

Post by gunner »

A gift to all my switchbuddies here, especially those that wore hairspray in the 80's. Some selected pages from a 1988 EdgeCo catalog. Enjoy!!
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SPRINGER KÖNIG
h1942

Re: 1988 5th Anniversary EdgeCo Catalog

Post by h1942 »

CooL. Hank
Guitars and Blades

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Way cool, Gunner. I had that catalog and bought a couple of the OTF's. That black NATO Military is the one where the blade kept falling out when you fired it...lol!!

Great to see that stuff again!!

G&B 8) 8)
Last edited by Guitars and Blades on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Very cool. Never seen one of those catalogs before. Lots of nice OTFs.
Mike
James

Post by James »

That catalog brings back some memories. Those were not bad quality. I have the #120 in Stag with the nail nick. It just sits in the case if anybody collects these i would be willing to trade for a non Italian. Just send me a PM.
Thanks for posting these pages of the catalog.

James
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I have never seen one of those before - thanks for posting

Jim
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

Gunner , ever since you posted your photo of the shell puller and the catalog pic , you've had me wondering if the blue pearlex I got from the same seller was the one used. They all did come from an ex-employee of the edgeco. I've been comparing the pearlex in the catalog with mine and the swirls look the same. Guess I'll never know for sure ,but it's kind of interesting to think about.
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

Those knives on the last page are great users. I went through a few and still have some. Inexpensive but tough as hell. Love the 'Corsican' :mrgreen:
big_ski

Post by big_ski »

80's flashbacks! Thanks for posting these pages! I remember getting this catalog at college. And how I got on the Edge Co.s mailing list was by ordering the model 860 in "legal kit form" :lol: from the back page of soldier of fortune magazine. I know the black Nato Military otf was on a few 80's TV shows - The Equalizer definitely. Model 702 possibly seen on Magnum PI and Miami Vice, facts of life even. quite the collectables. I didn't think much of the leverlocks at that time but now I own about 15 or so.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

This thread takes me back as well... Back inna 70's I bought some NATO kits anna 9" stiletto with the blue swirly scales. This was sold as a "kit" also, as you had to drop-in the spring...

Anyway, at that time I wasn't aware there was such a thing as a "swivel bolster" so I thought it was a picklock. Since it was so difficult to pick, I hated it and it got set aside until I started collecting in 2001. I tried to keep it separate from my other cheap Asian switches, but now I'm not so sure. Is there any way to identify an Edgeco stiletto for sure?

Here is a description of the suspect:

It has swirly blue, hollow scales.

It has the large brass bottom rivet typical of asian stilettos.

The blade is flat ground with a nail nick. The locking pin hole doesn't go alla way through the blade like some Asian stilettos.

The kickspring is black.

The tang is stamped, "440" over "STELETO"(sic) onna button side, and "TAIWAN" over "R.O.C." onna back side.

Whaddya thinkness?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

GEE, THANKS, GUYS!
JerrBear
gunner

Post by gunner »

Hey JerrBear, Sorry, I can't really help much on this one, but here's my best. All the taiwan stamped stilettos from EdgeCo, to my knowledge, came in the later 80's. The early ones were all "Italy". In early I mean early 80's not 70's. EdgeCo started (according to the 1988 catalog) in 1983. When the Taiwan kits replaced the real Italian ones I believe there were a few variants to the Taiwan stamps, I remember "440 Stainless" over "Taiwan" vividly, but I do not recall the others I saw exactly. What confuses me is you said 70's, I've never heard of nato & stiletto kits in the 70's. But what would I know, I was too busy playing with Star Wars figures & matchbox cars :lol:

By the way, I was lucky enough to get another EdgeCo catalog. This one is an Onyx club special release from 1990 and includes the original membership card & letter. The pearlex stilettos here are Taiwan.

Last edited by gunner on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SPRINGER KÖNIG
Vanagas

Post by Vanagas »

Damn gunner nice find. Cool of you to scan and post all that. Good man. :D
Mike
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks for the info, Mr. Gunner. Apparently my memory is off by a decade or so... I'm almost positive I bought it from EdgeCo...

Has anybody seen that tang stamp?
JerrBear
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Jerrbear, The Twain models you are referring to came in the late 80s that I saw. A company out of NJ called Double 8 ( Now MAster Cutlery), imported both the twain and Korea models. The Twain had thin lettering saying 440 stiletto and Twain on them and the hole went all the way through the blade ( on these it did). They were mostly seen in white and black swirl plastic handles, but did come in other colors. They had good lock up for POS knives. The Korean were far worst quailty with off color bolsters and the worst pealex you ever saw. These sound like what you remember as the whole did not go all the way through. Could you be remembering certain parts of each one? They all had the kit form springs. It seems like what you are seeking is a bit of a combo of these two imports. Hope that helps...