A question to Canadaians

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mr_edge

A question to Canadaians

Post by mr_edge »

I am a Canadian knife (primarily autos) enthusiast, but have had poor experiences with mail order. I ordered from skm late last year and despite the fact that they were very accomodating and service-oriented, I never received the item. This despite the fact that skm was good enough to reship without a seizure notice. Interesting to note, that I never received seizure notices for either shipment. Is this poor experience a function of it's timing with the events of Sept. 11, or is this typical of most importation attempts? Can any of you fellow Canadian Knife enthusiasts share their experiences or recommendations?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

I've only ordered a few knives from skm but I can say that customs usally lets them go, from U.S. stores such as PVK it comes fine, tiny doesn't ship out of the U.S at all anymore (and I was his last outof U.S. cutsomer a few days ago; he said on his site it's only in the U.S., but he did make a few expections but not anymore I think or adlest thats what I was told) it got through, All I can say don't flip an auto out in public and if you must cover it by going into a corner or hiding with shirt etc.
I think you should talk to Razor_54 though about legalbilty and loops (he's an ex-cop who collects autos) altough I know the law very well too, but I think you should read the thread I started up called: Canadian knife nuts must read!
jrny65

Post by jrny65 »

mr_edge...... as a fellow canadian I can relate I also ordered from SKM with predictable results I however did recieve seizure notices from both attempts.SKM did keep their promise to reship with the seizure notice....but lets give Can. customs some credit,no matter what they put on the declaration those agents allready have my name and address as well as the shippers.the only knife I managed to get was a cheap Buck imitation,Ithink because it was the first one I ever ordered and didn't have words like switchblade or stilletto on the invoice.I'm lucky to live near a couple of states who aren't so backwards in their thinking so I will go down once in a while and pick one up.
johnny blade

Post by johnny blade »

Just curious,When you guys ordered from SKM did you use express shipping?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Nope: airmail
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

always use the express shipping. less chance of nabbies.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

To echo vinithehat: Always use express shipping

Jim
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

there is much wisdom here. 8)
Taking typos to new levels.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Welcome aboard Mr. Edge, Can't add much more. Have you ever thought of ordering your knives without the spring. Springs are easy to install, once you receive them. There is no law on importing knifes and springs in seperate parcels.
Be carefull with customs, they do keep your name on record for a couple of years, when they send you a seizure notice. Especially prohibited weapons.
Whenever possible have your orders shipped express, may cost you a little more, but less hassles.
Remember switchblades are prohibited weapons and you can't legally own or buy them, but we still do, it's in our blood. :twisted:
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

thats the difference between the US and canada; were allowed to own illegal things, just so long as we never use them. well. for the most part.

vini
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

thanx for the input gentlemen.
jrny65

Post by jrny65 »

vinithehat wrote:there is much wisdom here. 8)
Something to remember definitly :D
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

heres something to think about.. Look at this thread title.

HRMMMM.

one "huzzah" to whoever spots it.

vini
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Vinithehat-

Isn't that what ians from Canada are called?

I win, can I get out of this canvas tuxedo now, doc?

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
vinithehat

Post by vinithehat »

huzzah!