great grandpa's Rostfrei

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
METALGOD

Re: great grandpa's Rostfrei

Post by METALGOD »

papsknife wrote:Hi all,
My grandfather just pasted away in June and I was going thru some of his stuff in the bedroom and found this Rostfrei switchblade knife. My family is from Italy, and I was looking up somethings about this knife. On some web sites they say this is a Germany knife and other they say it was made in Italy. My grandmother told me my great grandfather bought this knife for my grandfather many years back from Italy. I was just wondering how old do you think it is and what is it worth and is it from Italy or not? I been carrying it around in my pocket for my pocket knife but maybe I should'nt be. It's 3 and 7/8 inch closed and 6 and 7/8 open. It has no scratches and it looks like it never has been shapened but it's sharp for sure. Also it looks like there's brass inside the handle for protection for the blade. The spring is so fast you cant see the blade snap out of the handle. I would love some info on this type of knife. This knife will be passed down in my family. THANKS!
Hi knife you have is a "Transitional" stiletto and could have been made from 1960 till probably mid 1970's, the swedge type blade with swivel bolster was used from early 1960 till late 1970's sometime so your knife could have been made in 1960 or could have been made in 1970's but definetly during this time frame.

Thanks Bernie ******* Folgore Knives USA *******
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

The knife is from the 70s or late 60s, but it looks thinner than the first Trannys so i say 70s. In one spot in Brooklyn I know of the great Grandpas are in their 60s today, so this could be true...It all depends when your family starts having little ones, and there is about a 25% birth rate for teen girls 13 to 17 in that part of Brooklyn. After all the poster did not reference WWII or any other time reference.....
j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

If anyone has every watched the Antique road show they should know that stories passed through the family often get altered over time. Doesn't mean anyone in the family lied .just mistakenly told something that wasn't factual.
I've seen things on the show that the owners thought were antique and came over on the Mayflower and turn out to be from the early 1900's.

It's a cool little knife ,but like everyone else said it's from the 60's or 70's.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

So now we have another incident of an ancient thread resurrected by someone making a wise-a$$ comment / attempt at humor? What's up with this?
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

natcherly wrote:So now we have another incident of an ancient thread resurrected by someone making a wise-a$$ comment / attempt at humor? What's up with this?
Mr. Natch,

I suspect it is the result of faulty toilet training anna desperate need for attention...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
twstdmtltwstd

Post by twstdmtltwstd »

8 years later......................
No one has invented a better mousetrap!