great grandpa's Rostfrei

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
papsknife

great grandpa's Rostfrei

Post by papsknife »

Hi all,
My grandfather just pasted away in June and I was going thru some of his stuff in the bedroom and found this Rostfrei switchblade knife. My family is from Italy, and I was looking up somethings about this knife. On some web sites they say this is a Germany knife and other they say it was made in Italy. My grandmother told me my great grandfather bought this knife for my grandfather many years back from Italy. I was just wondering how old do you think it is and what is it worth and is it from Italy or not? I been carrying it around in my pocket for my pocket knife but maybe I should'nt be. It's 3 and 7/8 inch closed and 6 and 7/8 open. It has no scratches and it looks like it never has been shapened but it's sharp for sure. Also it looks like there's brass inside the handle for protection for the blade. The spring is so fast you cant see the blade snap out of the handle. I would love some info on this type of knife. This knife will be passed down in my family. THANKS!
Attachments
Picture 566.jpg
Picture 566.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 28264 times
Picture 567.jpg
Picture 567.jpg (157.52 KiB) Viewed 28229 times
TRYKER

Re: great grandpa's Rostfrei

Post by TRYKER »

it was made in italy for the german market, rostrrei is german for stainless steel.

tryker
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Sorry, but Grandma is mistaken. The knife is of relatively recent manufacture. It is Italian.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
magnum

Post by magnum »

The knife appears to be a 1960's era Italian made Stiletto.
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Some people do think that the 60's-70's were ancient times. My guess is papskinfe is a younger gentleman. The knife is nice, but not particularly valueable. Also not what most of us consider old. Except for the swedge blade, it almost looks like stainless bolsters, so it may be newer than 70's. jmo.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Looks like a bolster release, the does date it to recent production :idea:
If Great Grandfather had more than one knife that could lead to confusion over wich was which.
Hadson

Post by Hadson »

The lock release mechanism is a swivel bolster, and it also has a swedge grind blade. This would put it in the 60's transitional, or possibly 70's era. It is certainly Italian, not German.

It's not the most common OAL length you'll find from that era either.

Probably worth a little under, or over a $100 with the current market problems. I could be wrong however.
Best regards, Hadson.
texasmad

Post by texasmad »

whippersnapper wrote:Some people do think that the 60's-70's were ancient times. My guess is papskinfe is a younger gentleman. The knife is nice, but not particularly valueable. Also not what most of us consider old. Except for the swedge blade, it almost looks like stainless bolsters, so it may be newer than 70's. jmo.
I have to agree with you whippersnapper not everyone is as old as most of us on the forum so Grandma may not be mistaken but just have a different concept of what many years ago really means and to be honest the 60's does seem like a really longtime ago to me! :oops:
Jayess

Post by Jayess »

Just because you are Bill Deshivs does not mean you know everything. I bet grandma knows more about grandpa than you certainly do!
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Damn jay, did it take you 2/1/2 years to think of that :?: :lol:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Where the hell did that come from?
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

:lol: Jayess, don't be a hater bro.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can guarantee that I know more about knives than Grandpa or Grandma!
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Jayess wrote:Just because you are Bill Deshivs does not mean you know everything. I bet grandma knows more about grandpa than you certainly do!
Mr. Jayess,

Be careful, someone might come along and say that is a bolster release swedge blade with the old fashioned button found on the old picklocks, which in turn makes it a transitional switchblade, which in turn made it an improvemnt over the picklocks because it made it easier to close for lazy idiots like you!

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Do idiots have "radar" [or something] so they know when away for a weekend - and then hop on the keyboard, because they think it's safe :?: :wink: