What are the odds of...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

What are the odds of...

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

What are the odds of getting AB coltellerie to begin manufacturing an 11" Automatic with a Standard blade manufactured in ATS-34 Steel? They already make a 9" model, Why not an 11" version? If I could get one with a horn handle I'd be really happy. (For a while.)

Fishtail Picklock
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

At this time the odds are about as good as hearing a pig whistle.
PB
Fishtail Picklock

Why is that? Don't they want their knives to be used as tools? A properly hardened ATS-34, 154CM or D2 steel blade would make these knives lend themselves to act as "working tools" rather than "pig stickers." I, for one, would embrace them and trumpet their use for riggers and the like. it only makes sense. :!: :roll:

Fishtail Picklock
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Italian Switches really don't make good tools. You have shown an interest for tools in most of your posts. The Buck you said you ordered will fit the bill. A good working or utility knife should have a good sized blade but more important some belly. Even if they made 11"s in ATS-34 it still would not make a logical working tool. Some here will suggest a leverlock as being more user friendly in a work atmosphe. I would also sugest you looking at an MT LCC/DA that baby is built like a tank and makes a great EDC. There are a lot of knives also that are manual all though with thumbstuds or holes you can open them pretty damn quick. Companies like BM, SpyderCo,Camilius, to just name a few all will have a knife too suit your needs. Out of curiosity what do you cut all day?
PB
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

F P,

I really question the demand for such a knife. Most of us collect stilettos for reasons other than to have them serve tough duty. Quite frankly, there are better designs for heavy duty use.

The larger the knife, the more of a lever arm the blade is. This means that it is easier to place more stress on the locking mechanim with a longer blade. Additionally, a collector could have more 420 stainless stilettos for the same money as fewer ATS34 models. Don't forget, 420 is decent steel.

Leverlocks and tacticals are better choices for switchblades that will see rugged use. I have actually reached the point where I don't even use my leverlocks for anything more severe than opening boxes which contain even more switchblades. I have what I consider to be ugly modern tactical switchblades for hard use. It is just my opinion, but I like collecting the Italian stilettos and having a tactical for hard use.

Jim
Fishtail Picklock

Dear Brothers: My father was a First-Class Boatswain's mate (UDT) in the U.S. Navy. On his side, in an open-top scabbard. he carried a marlinspike with a adjustable-end wrench silver-soldered on its end. Alongside this tool he carried a 10 3/4" Italian Fishtail Picklock with a high-carbon steel blade and buffalo horn scales.

One hot summer afternoon, dad was working on the docks in Bremerton, WA. At the time, he had a line passed around his left forearm, down between the dock timbers and up around a pair of bitts (line-tying points that look like a pair of large cans) on the deck of the mine sweeper on which he was stationed.

A vessel passed by the ship in the berth. The passing vessel's wake caused the mine sweeper to move inward toward the dock, then outward, away from the slip. This motion almost pulled my father's arm down betwen the planks of the mooring. Had it not been for the availability of his Italian Fishtail Picklock, he would have either lost his arm, or his life!

I want to recreate his original Picklock, with modern materials, (e.g. D2 "tool" steel blade, titanium-alloy pivot pin, etc.) and use it when I move to Montana and work as an INS (Homeland Security) Immigration Inspector.

Does this answer your question(s)?

Fishtail Picklock
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

F P,

Glad to read that your dad made it through the ordeal as he did. You mentioned that it was a fish style picklock as opposed to a traditional stiletto. There are new fish style picklocks available, but the steel is 420. To be truly authentic, my guess is that the recreation would have to be carbon steel. Other input from forum members....

Jim
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Check out http://www.italianstiletto.com/fish.html, nice fish with damascus blade.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

For a working Italian a Leverlock especially one with steel liners instead of brass. For a hard working auto, American ones are very hard to beat.
Italian knives have "soul", German ones have "character", American ones have "guts".
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

Mr Vagrant- well put.
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

once again, good advice, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who would cringe at the thought of a beautiful italian switch being used as a common work tool - to me this is the equivalent of strapping a plow to the front of your farrari to clear the street in a snowstorm :?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I use a limited edition Hubie with carbon steel blade as a work knife, but I have a mnit one in my collection.
Fishtail Picklock

Gentlemen: I currently have 2 11" Italian stilettos, (1 Honey Horn Kris from SKM and 1 Standard blade of unknown descent) and 1 red acrylic-scaled Italian Fishtail Picklock from AKC.

I also posess 1 8" Huberus Standard Hunter, (rosewood scales with a standard blade) 2 Benchmade knives (an early AFO as well as a Mel Pardue 3500 with a partially serrated blade) and finally, I have a a OTF "Super Automatic" piece of "stuff" with a red plastic grip.

I'm waiting for my "Great American Buck" automatic to be delivered sometime within the next 2 weeks. This will be an excellent knife to press into service "on the border."

I want the custom Italian-type Fishtail Picklock with the special steel blade to act as both a cutting tool and a last-ditch weapon. It will accompany my G.I. .40 S&W auto pistol as well as the G.I Remington 870 "riot" shotgun. If the "powers that be" will permit this to occur, It will become as much a part of my uniform as the firearms.

Does this help clarify why I want to resurrect my father's knife?

Fishtail Picklock
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun May 04, 2003 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

F P
I understand completely now. The one important thing you left out or I missed is you want this knife out of respect to your fathers memory which is the best reason in the world to have this particular knife and I am hoping you find or build what you are looking for. Best of luck to you and please let us know how goes the search.
PB
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I think the fish picklocks made by AKC have great "user" blades. although I would question how much sideways pressure they would take. I think they are 440c.

If it is ever released the leverletto would be really really close to what you want.