The age old question

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
blackjack

The age old question

Post by blackjack »

The age old question, one that has bothered me for some time. Im a stiletto man and Ive wondered who makes the best one, the question has been asked before, probably in these forums somewhere, but I thought Id ask it again here anyways. I know there is a vast reserve of knowledge out there and an even greater reserve of opinions so feel free to run the gambit on this one, also feel free to include swing guards, I know, purists
will argue a swing guard is not a stiletto its a swing guard, completely different knife, but for the sake of discussion I thought we could include them. Also feel free to discuss price, shipping, quality and company service and reliabilty. I would also be interested in knowing if anyone makes a good tough stiletto for working. So go nuts folks, I cant wait to hear what you think.
Regards
blackjack
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Blackjack you ask a difficult question as you will get many different answers but what I will say is real Stilettos were fixed blades made centuries ago and used as back up weapons or if small enough for women to carry concealed. Over the years the term has been used to describe certain folding knives and switchblades which technicly is incorrect. So It sounds like your really asking who or what Company makes or made the best switchblade. I myself will bow out of this discussion at this point because it's like anything else best car,best power tools,best clothing etc. And my opinion will not be the same as all the other opinions you will get.
PB
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

I think Falcon makes the best big ones. Most of the smaller ones are about the same quality I think. F. Beltrame makes the 11" picks with NS bolsters. They are more expensive, but to my knowledge those are the smallest stiletto's that have NS bolsters.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I guess I should have said stiletto style switchblade, thanks mr Push button, see Im learning already :)
Regards
blackjack
Post Script; Dont be afraid to voice opinions everyones is valid :!:
Fishtail Picklock

Best Sitlettos

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'd have to give it to Burn Knives inc. or Merlin's Custom knives. Check their website. you'll LOVE it

Fishtail Picklock
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

F P,

Welcome to the forum.

The issue is whether we are referring to production stilettos or custom stilettos. I suspect that some of the responses assumed a production stiletto perspective. Customs (no pun intended) are in a different league as I'm sure you know. Remember, you can get 20 +/- production stilettos for the price of 1 custom.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

jim d, you are right I meant mass produced knives, many of us will never be able to afford a custom knife so I was sort of hoping for some feedback on the mass produced ones. Also thanks to Fishtail Picklock Im going to have to check those sites.
Regards
blackjack
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

mr blackjack,

i would only be able to pinpoint the country where the best production "stiletto style" switches come from....any guesses :wink:

i've only ever owned beltrames, a couple of fox's, and a couple jndiana's(swings) - and from my limited experience, i'd put my money on beltrame - his family has been making them for a long time.

there's my 2cents!
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. Blackjack,

Our hosts SKM/AB offer knives of a quality difficult to beat in a production stiletto .... check out their site ..... on the top/right of this page.

Best wishes
Teddy
tatu211

best switchblades

Post by tatu211 »

Mr Blackjack
Like everyone else my opinions are all my own but if you define stelitto as any long thin blade my vote for the best ones(custom aside) would have to be the microtech,dalton and Protech modles that fit that description--in the Italian lines I like the f beltrame,AKC, and falcon. I have a few however that were made in the late 60 or early 70s and I think the older ones have a better snap,lock and fit than the newer ones--just my opinion for wjat its worth--tatu211
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

The best "stiletto" isn't made in Italy. The "Godfather" is made in the USA. :D

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

The Falcon wrote:The best "stiletto" isn't made in Italy. The "Godfather" is made in the USA. :D

The Falcon
The best stiletto is made in Italy, the best "Godfather" is made in the U.S.A! THERE DIFFERENT KNIVES!
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

J-man,

NO KIDDING! :shock:

The Falcon
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Burlwood Godfather is SWEET.