Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

Re: Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

Post by Jeff »

JerrBear wrote:
reynaldx wrote:I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
Self defense against what? Butterflies? :P HO! HO! :P
well I do have a set of nunchucks also. I guess in case I need to defend myself against nuns?
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Jeff wrote:
JerrBear wrote:
reynaldx wrote:I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
Self defense against what? Butterflies? :P HO! HO! :P
well I do have a set of nunchucks also. I guess in case I need to defend myself against nuns?
My Girlfriend's daughter is a 3rd degree Black Belt, one the first things she learned was, NEVER attenpt to use a martial arts GADGET, in a serious altercation :idea: :!:
They are fun to PRATICE with, in the highly discplinced environment of the Dojo :wink:
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

my lightsaber works well :P
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

catavengercaptain wrote:my lightsaber works well :P
So does my Tom Swift's electric rifle :wink:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

reynaldx wrote: I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
JerrBear wrote: Self defense against what? Butterflies? :P HO! HO! :P
Jeff wrote: well I do have a set of nunchucks also. I guess in case I need to defend myself against nuns?
NO, Silly! Nuns use them to protect themselves against chucks... :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I did learn an interesting fact, in my state, my CCW allows me to legally carry a switchblade.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

I did learn an interesting fact, in my state, my CCW allows me to legally carry a switchblade.
I am not disputing that in anyway but remember that perception is reality. If God forbid you do have to use it in self defense, it would look much better in front of a judge if you used a regular utility knife than a switch; at least that is what a lawyer told me once.
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

catavengercaptain wrote:
I am not disputing that in anyway but remember that perception is reality. If God forbid you do have to use it in self defense, it would look much better in front of a judge if you used a regular utility knife than a switch; at least that is what a lawyer told me once.
You is most correct Mr. Catavenger. Jim
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I appreciate the feedback, I don't carry anything. I have the CCW in case I feel like it. If I carried anything, it would go bang, not click.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Nun Chucks are very damgerous in and out of the dojo..........................

Leverlock switchblades
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Jeff wrote:Nun Chucks are very damgerous in and out of the dojo..........................
:P HO! HO! :P

"damgerous" = damaging/dangerous?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I was a Baltimore city cop at the height of the Nunchaku craze, and we often encountered them. The best defense was to let the simpleton swing them around until they hit themselves in the head and fell down.

A friend of mine worked in a nursing home in Baltimore, and one of his patients was a guy who was parylized from the waist down. He got that way by trying a fancy Nunchaku spin between his legs-he crushed his own testicles.

The nunchaku, manriki-gusari and chain whip are effective, but learning how to use them is dangerous indeed, best to wear a full hear coverage helmet while you get the hang of them. Frankly, a rubber whip(much used in South America, they're cut from a truck tire, or purchased from martial arts stores) or a bicycle chain is easier and safer to learn.

I have several pistols, but there isn't enough crime here to justify carrying one day by day. I have my spring whip for going out very late, but I also have my pit bull with me, then. I carry the whip to protect the dog from aggessive strays-she can fight like a house a-fire but I don't want her getting in the habit.

Often, a gun causes more trouble than it solves, bullies and criminals are passive-aggresasive, and good at making you look wrong.

And a knife is a last resort-but when push has come to shove, it's good to have one. Avoid using a push button knife. Where I live, a balisong or an assist open is legal. I have a fondness for the karambit, which is a good garden knife and utility blade, so if you use it, you can get by.

Never threaten with a knife, instead, wait until the last second, then cut at the forehead, forearms, hands and face. The idea is to get loose and get away. Call the police at once, tell the truth and that way, when the skell calls them and starts crying the blues, they will be ready to lock him up.

It's best to avoid trouble, if you can. If not, remember, getting away is the best defense.
Life has no value, Death has a price
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Never threaten with a knife, instead, wait until the last second, then cut at the forehead, forearms, hands and face. The idea is to get loose and get away. Call the police at once, tell the truth and that way, when the skell calls them and starts crying the blues, they will be ready to lock him up.
Yes, a knife, just like a gun, should not be openly brandished. If your going to use it, do so, otherwise keep it away. (dont give the enemy time to prepare)

Also, I was always taught that the best place to attack was the forehead because it bleeds profusely and blood stings a lot when it get in your eyes.
My Girlfriend's daughter is a 3rd degree Black Belt, one the first things she learned was, NEVER attenpt to use a martial arts GADGET, in a serious altercation
They are fun to PRATICE with, in the highly discplinced environment of the Dojo
They shouldn't be teaching you to use a weapon in the dojo if it's not intended for use. Thats just idiotic. Dojos are supposed to be a place to train and become good with skills or weapon if they are needed in the future. Otherwise you might as well go to a regular gym.

That being said, the balisong is intended to be a general purpose utility knife and should be used as such.
Last edited by dark2023 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
switchman1

Post by switchman1 »

Lord, I've gone from reading about collecting knives, to a tutorial on how to seriously maim someone. This isn't what I joined this forum for. Jim :!:
Switchman1 Alcohol,Tobacco,and Firearms....... who's got the chips?
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

If I pull a knife I'm already screwed, it means I missed 6 times with my 44 mag
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises