Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tequiza

Re: Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

Post by tequiza »

jim d, wrote:Hey Pete,

I bought a GP100 in stainless with a 6 inch barrel last year. The Hogue grips (like the one on yours) didn't fit my rather small hands and I find them aesthetically unappealing (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), so I replaced them with the old style rubber grips with the rosewood inserts. I really like the gun - put about 60 rounds through it last Saturday and plan to do the same this Saturday :D

Jim
I like the rosewood grips too Jim but these old hands really like the feel of the Hogue grips better, especially after 50 rounds of full loads :shock:
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Pete - If the grip fits, go with it :D As I mentioned, I have small hands and with the Hogue grips my pinky sat on top of the last ridge instead of in the last groove. My son's hands are considerably larger than mine and the grips fit him well so I think the grips were sized for larger hands than mine.

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

jim d, wrote:Pete - If the grip fits, go with it :D As I mentioned, I have small hands and with the Hogue grips my pinky sat on top of the last ridge instead of in the last groove. My son's hands are considerably larger than mine and the grips fit him well so I think the grips were sized for larger hands than mine.

Jim
Not so much the grip fitting Jim but the ease of shooting the revolver, the wood grips are just to hard on these old bones where the Hogues are very comfortable to me, it's funny how it effects people in different ways, my son does not like to shoot my 1911 cause it hurts the web of his hand but I can shoot it all day long with no problem, go figure. :lol:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Many years ago during winter I had been out of work for a month or two and the callouses on my hands had came off.
My brother hot-loaded some wad-cutters for his S&W L-Frame 44 mag and told me to fire as fast as I can at a target. He had Pachmayer or Hogue grips and it removed a nickle-sized layer of skin off the web of my hand :lol:
But today I have no problem firing it and prefer the rubber grips but the walnut or rosewood are prettier for sure.

I had to sell my S&W 44 mag back in the early 90's,found myself needing cash in a hurry.
It had the Pachmayer grips and I loved it.

My Sig has Hogues but the recoil from a 45 ACP is much less than a 44 mag.
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

I never liked those rubber with wood inserts on the GP100 & they cracked on mine so replaced them with Hogues. I like the Hogues better than Pachmyer.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

There was a discussion on a Ruger forum and folks seemed to be about evenly split regarding the rubber / rosewood vs the Hogue grips.

Jim
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Viking45 wrote:Many years ago during winter I had been out of work for a month or two and the callouses on my hands had came off.
My brother hot-loaded some wad-cutters for his S&W L-Frame 44 mag and told me to fire as fast as I can at a target. He had Pachmayer or Hogue grips and it removed a nickle-sized layer of skin off the web of my hand :lol:
But today I have no problem firing it and prefer the rubber grips but the walnut or rosewood are prettier for sure.

I had to sell my S&W 44 mag back in the early 90's,found myself needing cash in a hurry.
It had the Pachmayer grips and I loved it.

My Sig has Hogues but the recoil from a 45 ACP is much less than a 44 mag.
I can relate to that one viking, had a .357 snub nose, did some rapid fire with some full house federal loads, I thought damn that hurt looked down and my hand was full of blood, tore a nice rip in the web of my hand, ended up selling that one. :lol:
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

catavengercaptain wrote:I never liked those rubber with wood inserts on the GP100 & they cracked on mine so replaced them with Hogues. I like the Hogues better than Pachmyer.
Cat, the best grips i've ever shot were on a Taurus .45LC snub nose, the ribber grips I believe there called, trouble is they ( Taurus ) don't make them to fit any other makers :(
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Gun fits you or you fit gun :?:
I can fit my mediumish hand to most guns but, when shooting serious stuff [.30-30 and .45-70] out of the Contender, Rubber grips do help :wink:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

tequiza wrote:
catavengercaptain wrote:I never liked those rubber with wood inserts on the GP100 & they cracked on mine so replaced them with Hogues. I like the Hogues better than Pachmyer.
Cat, the best grips i've ever shot were on a Taurus .45LC snub nose, the ribber grips I believe there called, trouble is they ( Taurus ) don't make them to fit any other makers :(
The Ribber grips are great but, totally un-needed on my Taurus .17HMR :wink:
StevieWunder
Location: Georgia, land of the free, home of 4 million northern escapees

Post by StevieWunder »

Pete - If the grip fits, go with it :D As I mentioned, I have small hands and with the Hogue grips my pinky sat on top of the last ridge instead of in the last groove. My son's hands are considerably larger than mine and the grips fit him well so I think the grips were sized for larger hands than mine.
The Pachmayer Gripper seems well-suited to smaller hands. Even on the largest-frames revolvers, they fit me well, offering a full four-fingered grip.
I have small hands, short, fat fingers, short, fat toes, short, fat...well, you get the idea.
Is this fun,or WHUT?
reynaldx

Post by reynaldx »

I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
“The end move in politics is always to pick up a expandable batons.”That's why I don't like politics.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

reynaldx wrote:I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
I guess I do that at times too. :D
Leverlock switchblades
birdieman

Post by birdieman »

Whenever I carry a knife for self defense purposes, I always use the same one. It's a tactical Leverletto plus with a serrated blade. Extremely compact and reliable action. :D
picklock junkie
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

reynaldx wrote:I carry a butterfly knife as a self defense weapon.
Self defense against what? Butterflies? :P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?