Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tequiza

Re: Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

Post by tequiza »

Take good care of that one Missa, it's worth a lotta buck dollars as Missa Jerr would say 8)
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I'm sticking with my spring whip, nobody knows what it is.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I carry a knife sometimes but don't consider it a weapon though we know it can be.
If I was faced with a life or death situation and forced to defend I would hope to be closer to my 357 mag and a phone than my knife I guess.
Leverlock switchblades
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Very nice Jeff. We must think alike (scary for you) but I was just talking to my dad the other day and said I wouldn't mind having a basic S&W 357,blued with walnut grips.
With all the modern calibers out there today the 357 can still hold it's own.
Fun to shoot too,I used to have a Ruger 357 and loved it but in those days ammo was affordable.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Now I remember Dave............ you're a dirty Harry fan. :D
Last edited by Jeff on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leverlock switchblades
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Jeff wrote:Right on Dave. I used to have a Ruger 44 mag and it was a great gun so I imagine most Rugers are.
They are very rugged but a Smith is silky smooth and classier in my opinion.
Both have their places but if I was buying a 357 or 44 mag today it would be a Smittinwesson :lol:

No Way :!: SFPD,that is just too cool :shock:
Dirty Jeff's in town...feelin' lucky punk!
Billy Blade

Post by Billy Blade »

Guitars and Blades wrote:I was just reading a thread by Stiletto of Athens about carrying a Leverletto for self defense.
While you certainly can defend yourself with a blade, I can think of many other things off hand that I would rather carry.
Handgun, obviously, but not all of us have one or can legally carry. Swords aren't very practical, unless you're a pirate, and I haven't seen many of those around, except in Pittsburgh.
You might want to read the Stiletto vs. Leverletto thread first, then come back here and post your personal choices.
I think this is interesting, especially on a knife forum.

G&B
When I was a young man back in the 70's Just flashing a switchblade would keep me from getting beat-up,but as for self defense,I think it was all the hype of carrying a blade that kept my enemies at bay.Never had to use it but as I say it struck fear in people's hearts.But,as for today noone respects the knife for protection with all the firepower available. Nowadays I just carry mine for work and chores.A small assisted opener by Gerber.
Billy Blade

Post by Billy Blade »

Billy Blade wrote:
Guitars and Blades wrote:I was just reading a thread by Stiletto of Athens about carrying a Leverletto for self defense.
While you certainly can defend yourself with a blade, I can think of many other things off hand that I would rather carry.
Handgun, obviously, but not all of us have one or can legally carry. Swords aren't very practical, unless you're a pirate, and I haven't seen many of those around, except in Pittsburgh.
You might want to read the Stiletto vs. Leverletto thread first, then come back here and post your personal choices.
I think this is interesting, especially on a knife forum.

G&B
When I was a young man back in the 70's Just flashing a switchblade would keep me from getting beat-up,but as for self defense,I think it was all the hype of carrying a blade that kept my enemies at bay.Never had to use it but as I say it struck fear in people's hearts.But,as for today noone respects the knife for protection with all the firepower available. Nowadays I just carry mine for work and chores.A small assisted opener by Gerber.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight
Billy Blade

Post by Billy Blade »

Viking45 wrote:Very nice Jeff. We must think alike (scary for you) but I was just talking to my dad the other day and said I wouldn't mind having a basic S&W 357,blued with walnut grips.
With all the modern calibers out there today the 357 can still hold it's own.
Fun to shoot too,I used to have a Ruger 357 and loved it but in those days ammo was affordable.
I use to have a Ruger Security Six,it was light,accurate and cuold shoot .357 or.38
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Billy Blade wrote:I use to have a Ruger Security Six,it was light,accurate and cuold shoot .357 or.38
Very nice revolver. I didn't own one but got to shoot my cousin's and it had very smooth action.
StevieWunder
Location: Georgia, land of the free, home of 4 million northern escapees

Post by StevieWunder »

My WIFE packs a 4" Model 29 .44 Mag. Slicker'n a baby's butt and has an amazingly light trigger. I never offer to stab her. Actually, old fart that I am, I prefer Rugers in .45 LC. Factory loads or home-brews, the 7.5" Bisley model is as accurate a handgun as I've ever fired. Maybe not a high-capacity job, but, as an old Texas Ranger once said,"If you can't settle it in six, don't get involved."
Is this fun,or WHUT?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

StevieWunder wrote:My WIFE packs a 4" Model 29 .44 Mag. Slicker'n a baby's butt and has an amazingly light trigger. I never offer to stab her. Actually, old fart that I am, I prefer Rugers in .45 LC. Factory loads or home-brews, the 7.5" Bisley model is as accurate a handgun as I've ever fired. Maybe not a high-capacity job, but, as an old Texas Ranger once said,"If you can't settle it in six, don't get involved."
Good point!
A lady packin' a 4" 44 mag and light trigger to boot :shock: Dang! Even Dirty Harry used 44 Specials in his 44 mag,he said he has better control.

I like that Bisley grip,they are really comfortable.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

The Smith model 29 .44 Mag is definitely a better looking gun than the Ruger, but you can't beat the Super Redhawk for toughness, you can run some really hot loads through them, ( check Garrett ammo ) on the .357 I like the Smiths but I also like the GP100, it's one solid machine :!:
gp100 001.jpg
gp100 001.jpg (679.75 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The little known, little publicised, forward-lock/crane-lock, on the RUGER GP 100, was a major improvement over the Securiry Six, and [in truth] over S&W or Colt :!:
But most owners AND Gun shops are UNAWARE of this feature :( :roll:
I guess the appeal was noted by only the technically obsessed :roll: :wink:
The festure is also on the Super Redhawks :idea:
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Hey Pete,

I bought a GP100 in stainless with a 6 inch barrel last year. The Hogue grips (like the one on yours) didn't fit my rather small hands and I find them aesthetically unappealing (beauty is in the eye of the beholder), so I replaced them with the old style rubber grips with the rosewood inserts. I really like the gun - put about 60 rounds through it last Saturday and plan to do the same this Saturday :D

Jim