Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Guitars and Blades

Re: Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

Post by Guitars and Blades »

Careful in those public restrooms, Mike.
They could sic one of those trained attack gerbels on ya'!! :shock: :o :shock: :twisted: :lol:
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Attack Gerbels? Oh hell; A guy I was in a band with in the late 60's decided we'd all breed combat toads to keep us out of that infamous undeclared Southeast Asian camp-out (Defense Industry Exemption). An idea that failed spectacularly. I guess somebody finally came up with a viable solution to the deadly-weapon-system-innocuously-disguised-as-a-harmless-little-beastie technical challenge. A tough nut, I'll admit.

Having been influenced by Knife of Sparta, or whomever, I now carry a Swiss Army Classic for defense...... while the assailant(s) are doubled over laughing at the sight of me closing in for the kill with the scissors extended menacingly, I figure I'll be able to poke them in the eye with a Bic pen and then run away.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Guitars and Blades

Post by Guitars and Blades »

ROFLMAO!!
Good one, Tom!! How about threatening to burn them with the little magnifying glass? "Any of you mugs move and I'll put a blister on your arm."
Steel strings and steel springs...what could be better?
aka.kevin

Post by aka.kevin »

Claudester wrote:I just have a 18" oar handle under my truck seat. Nice grip and wouldn't want to get snapped in the head with. It's long enough to fend off a blade and the magnetic field I have put on it, stays off bullets. :roll:
wooww nice knife. hope i can have one for my collection.
Last edited by aka.kevin on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Thought of jumping in on this one long ago as I've studied self defense as a "hobby" for 40 years. A knife may not be the ideal self defense weapon but if I am attacked; win, lose, or draw, I plan on leaving some of my opponent's DNA at the scene. A knife comes in handy for that. And while a striking implement (stick, club, bat, etc) is usually considered more effective (ya got the distance) an edged weapon IS quite lethal in trained and knowlegable hands. #1 rule of knife fighting is NEVER display your weapon to "scare your opponent off." If you really "need" to use a knife for self defense, your foe should be unaware of it until it's been appropriately inserted into his anatomy. (And a thrust is generally more deadly than a slash.) There is a video I saw about police officers attacked with knives and it's pretty scarey.

My state does not allow concealed carry of a firearm, nor are electronic weapons allowed (ecept for law enforcement). Pepper spray is highly recommended. Switch blades are not! Due to the ridiculous image the general public has of them, you wouldn't wanna appear in front of a jury with one. Besides, you want the element of surprise in a fight, not a knife that makes a loud "clack" just before you use it. Plain old buck knife or sheath knife is way better for several reasons. I did research a while back and found there were 1700 deaths due to knife attacks in 2008 (I think that was the year?) Thats about 5 a day, so it is not uncommon. Most were probably kitchen knives used at home by a known assailant. Anyway, my advice is keep your wits about you (your best weapon), be aware, be preparred to act, walk away if ya can, run if ya have to, but when your life is on the line, take em out as best ya can.
h1942

Post by h1942 »

Who doesn't. Hank
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Guitars and Blades-

Until such time AS I became a guest of the state, eye always carried a knife for defense, and AS a tool. Due to a slight incident, no need to go into that now, I was relegated to carrying only non-sharp or metallic defense items, to wit- the pointed tongue depressor, and the petrified rectal product in a sock. Since even those were discovered and confiscated, now I must rely on the rather effective defensive mechanism I learned first hand from Mr. Doofus Emeritus' sister in law, that being a hearty combination of acrid body/genital residue odor, coupled with monthly re-occuring lesions. Works great!!

AS ever,

your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Corpse,

I told you not to touch it, but not only that, you stepped in it with both feet. Sorry ol' pal, but it must be pretty miserable to go through life smelling like tuna casserole.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Wally J. Corpse
Level Zero: True Jerk

Post by Wally J. Corpse »

Greetings, Mr. Doofus Emeritus-

Feet? Feet you say? You never told me I was supposed to use mine feet!! In hindisght, that would have been an extremely useful bit of information . When I look back and try to measure the linear inches of scratching fingers' travel on the itchy scrote, I could've saved miles if'n ye' had only directed me unto footage use on the said in-law poonatoid, dammit! Gee, thanks, ol' pal, of course I must tell you not to be a-standing next to your remotely rural mailbox, eagerly awaiting my annaly sent custom WJC X-mas card this year, AS you usually do.

AS ever,

Your ol' pal,

Wally J. Corpse

P.S. You're out of the will again.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

kubaton is my choice. Silent and the perp usually has no idea what is coming at him.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

You can raise bloody he!! with a cane and it's perfectly legel on a Plane [or in court etc.] :idea:
They even help you through the metal detectors :wink:
Midnight Drums

Post by Midnight Drums »

I legally carry a Ruger LCP for self defense, and a S&W spring assist knife as a tool.
If I knew that I was going to need to defend myself in advance, I would carry the Beretta 9.

I bought a Boker Klashnakoff at a store in Eureka Springs Arkansas recently.
The store owner & I had self defense conversation.
I told him that I have a CCW license, and I normally was armed with a pistol.

He said "guns are for saving your friends, knives are for saving your self"!

Interesting.....

Mike
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I normally carry whatever handgun fits in my hip pocket but, for places that is not legal, the cane is "socially acceptable" and VERY effective :wink:
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Vagrant wrote:I normally carry whatever handgun fits in my hip pocket but, for places that is not legal, the cane is "socially acceptable" and VERY effective :wink:
I like the cane idea Vagrant. Must give it a try. I have a cane sword. Legal where I am but don't think it would pass customs scrutiny.
robcelani

Post by robcelani »

I always carry a knife with the thought that it is a weapon first, tool second. If I felt my life was in danger I would use my knife for defense and offense. I'm really surprised by the number of people here who say their knife is a tool and they carry some other weapon. I realize a knife has value as a tool of course but I place more value in it's weapon option.

I'd like to emphasize the point Shiver was making. In a fight distance matters. There are distances, for example, wrestling distance where a knife is an excellent weapon. It might even be the best weapon at this distance. I know that if I fight I want it at wrestling distance. At further distances my knife would be useless obviously but a cane or pistol would be excellent.

In my mind I've spent much more time thinking about self defense in close quarters than at distance. I've trained with rifles and handguns in the military and those fights are at distance. My experience and observations of the regular world is that most fights are up close, face to face.
Though you hold your blade over my heart, through endurance... I will Prevail!