Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wild zebra

Re: Anybody carry a knife for self-defense?

Post by wild zebra »

Here in Ohio the 21 foot rule is used in the Conceal Carry rules also. I'm saying that a citizen with a ccw can use deadly force if he fears his life or GBH if a perp is inside 21 feet otherwise you have a "duty to retreat". Unless the laws have changed, it's always a good idea to pick up the manuals and reread in case they have changed some laws. I agree very much with Tom though you will be convincing a Judge and jury if it was justified so you better have a damn good reason. A friend of mine just got jumped for 7 bucks and ended up with a black eye. They threatened with a non visible gun, my friends seem to think I would have filled them full of holes although I did kinda leave my statement that way I would much rather give up my wallet.
Elite_Operator

Post by Elite_Operator »

I think alot of modern knives are designed to give you the impression that there the only Weapon you should bother carrying. There always visually designed to look fearsome, with all the vicious blade styles, and glassbreaker/skullcrushers etc. In reality your not trying to be tough, or trying to one up somebody, you have quickly been placed in a situation were you might lose your life, you want this to be over right now. If Firearms carry is legal, carry a pistol, if its not Move somewhere where it is:)
"Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men". John F. Kennedy.
andersonix

Post by andersonix »

I carry a butterfly knife for my self defense. : />
When is a croquet mallet like a billy club? I'll tell you: Whenever you want it to be!
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

I think alot of modern knives are designed to give you the impression that there the only Weapon you should bother carrying. There always visually designed to look fearsome, with all the vicious blade styles, and glassbreaker/skullcrushers etc. In reality your not trying to be tough, or trying to one up somebody, you have quickly been placed in a situation were you might lose your life, you want this to be over right now. If Firearms carry is legal, carry a pistol, if its not Move somewhere where it is:)
I carry a simple Liner Lock folding knife. With a simple flick of the wrist it can be opened almost as fast as an SB, single-handedly, but also, it can be opened upside down and quietly. Which is good for me, because I prefer an upside down grip anyway for actual fighting, and I believ (in a self defense scenario) that no-one should see your weapon unless it's being actively used on them.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
h1942

Post by h1942 »

I never leave the house without something sharp and pointy on my person. Hank
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

dark2023 wrote:because I prefer an upside down grip anyway for actual fighting, and I believ (in a self defense scenario) that no-one should see your weapon unless it's being actively used on them.
Truer words never spoken. Dark you are wise beyond your years.
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

because I prefer an upside down grip anyway for actual fighting, and I believ (in a self defense scenario) that no-one should see your weapon unless it's being actively used on them.
Truer words never spoken. Dark you are wise beyond your years.
I've just been taught well.
This is the magic incantation congress uses to constantly violate the 10th Amendment - "...the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce of such shall be prohibited"
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The thread that wouldn't die. Check the date on page one :lol: Before that we had similar threads. Almost all of us carry a knife as a TOOL !!! The few that carriy it as a weapon, are most likely "looking for a fight". When they find it [start it] they run the risk of, discovering how Fast, a SERIOUS weapon will "settle it" :wink:
Such sillines, is eternal :roll:
missaman

Post by missaman »

Mr. Dark.
As Missa Vagrant says THIS will finish it
Attachments
MVC-012S.JPG
MVC-012S.JPG (31.65 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Ewww, a 1911, I'd much prefer an HK45 or P7M8
The thread that wouldn't die. Check the date on page one :lol: Before that we had similar threads. Almost all of us carry a knife as a TOOL !!! The few that carriy it as a weapon, are most likely "looking for a fight". When they find it [start it] they run the risk of, discovering how Fast, a SERIOUS weapon will "settle it" :wink:
Yes, well as I said, I dont usually carry it for self-defense (unless I'm going somewhere I feel I might really need it). But, I have been known too. It's better to have something than nothing. And, I cant exactly carry a pistol (being 18 and all), and I cant think of a quicker way to attract the wrong kind of attention than walking through the gehtto with an AK74n or 10/22 strapped to my back.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

dark2023 wrote:Ewww, a 1911, I'd much prefer an HK45 or P7M8
Yes, well as I said, I dont usually carry it for self-defense (unless I'm going somewhere I feel I might really need it). But, I have been known too. It's better to have something than nothing. And, I cant exactly carry a pistol (being 18 and all), and I cant think of a quicker way to attract the wrong kind of attention than walking through the gehtto with an AK74n or 10/22 strapped to my back.
You are in the wrong state :lol:
Move to New Hampshire, you CAN get a license to carry at 18 :D
Under federal law a parent or guardian has to buy the gun for you :idea:
But if you aren't old enough to recognise, places you might "really need one", AND, AVOID THEM. You aren't old enough to carry :roll:
dark2023

Post by dark2023 »

Sometimes I need to be in places were it's not really smart to be unarmed. It's unavoidable. Also, I live on the edge of the bad side of town (unfortunately).
As far as I am aware, you MUST be 21 to own a handgun, period. Having a family member buy it for you (if your underage) is a straw-man purchase, right?
And, BTW, yes, I am in the process of getting concealed carry permit.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

dark2023 wrote:Sometimes I need to be in places were it's not really smart to be unarmed. It's unavoidable. Also, I live on the edge of the bad side of town (unfortunately).
As far as I am aware, you MUST be 21 to own a handgun, period. Having a family member buy it for you (if your underage) is a straw-man purchase, right?
Wrong, there are even Police Officers that must have a parent buy for them - the exceptrion for parent/guardian buying, was written into GCA '68 [subject to state/local law] :idea:
If your state say 18 or older, that's legal - under 18 NO WAY at all :!:
wild zebra

Post by wild zebra »

I haven't backed this up with research but in Ohio I believe it is 21 handgun, 18 long gun.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

missaman wrote:Mr. Dark.
As Missa Vagrant says THIS will finish it
Nice piece Missa, here's one of mine, 1911 is still the most copied pistol today! 8)
1911 SA.jpg
1911 SA.jpg (466.68 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers