Fixed Blade Advice

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Greyblade

Fixed Blade Advice

Post by Greyblade »

Gentlemen,

It has been a long time since my last post so first let me wish all of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Special "Howdies" to my old pals Jim D, Bonzo, Vagrant, et al. :D

I need some advice. I know this is the springer forum, but i woul value your opinions of the best (strongest, edge-holding, cost-effective, etc.) fixed blade knife out there today. I need a 4" to 6"-long blade (no longer than that, and please cite the alloy, if known), durable handle/scales (synthetic preferred), and a decent, durable sheath (again, synthetic like ballistic nylon, kevlar, etc.) that can be worn on a belt or strapped down to a leg/calf/forearm.

So whadayagot out there for me? :?:

Always lurking,
Greyblade
jim d,

Re: Fixed Blade Advice

Post by jim d, »

Great to see you post Greyblade - how have you been? Regarding the fixed blade, I'll let some of our steel experts handle that one. One thing that deserves mentioning is whether the steel needs to be stainless for the intended use. The reason I mention this is that I'll bet Vagrant suggests some carbon steel formulations which would be fine for some applications, but not for those involving a lot of salt air or water.

For our newer members, Greyblade has been a member here as long as this forum has existed and was a member of the predecessor forum. In fact, it was Greyblade, Vagrant and dearly departed Pushbutton that answered my first post on the old forum. That reminds me, Greyblade - Michele posted some of the stuff from the old forums in a thread titled "Blast From the Past" in the "Talkblade Revealed + Mix" section

Jim
stepdaddy

Post by stepdaddy »

Mr GB: Welcome back. What price range? Are we talking Custom or Production and what kind of blade profile? for starters its' hard to argue the value/ quality of Benchmade.

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=5729

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7019

SD
OTTO MATIC

Post by OTTO MATIC »

Mr. GB, Stepdaddy is right,for a production knife Benchmade is the best. I own and use four of there folders for EDC. If you want to go custom take a look at http://www.dozierknives.com . Bob makes many models you might like. LARRY
butch

Post by butch »

thanks for the link hoodie Ive been looking for different fixed blade options for awhile.
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Hey Greyblade! Another old timer here! Merry Christmas!

I'd highly reccomend something by Bark River. Maybe one of their Hedgehogs.

Another one I'd really reccomend although slightly shorter than your blade criteria is one from custom maker Charles May.

Here's one of his Swamp Oak models I bought it is 1/8" thick and has a razor sharp scandi grind.

Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Gents,

Good to communicate with you all again. I need a fixed blade knife that is a stainless alloy (sorry, Vagrant, can't use high carbon stell because of the rustcorrosion). I also would prefer a production knife over a custom, but I'm willing to pay what it takes, within reason (<$500, something around $200-$250 would do just fine). I need a blade with a defined point (like a Bowie, whatever that particular grind is called) and really want a synthetic sheath rather than leather because of the hydroscopic properties of leather (I notice the Bark River Hedgehog that Hollowdweller recommends has a leather sheath). I also need a sheath that includes some sort of faciltiy/device/mechanism for holding the knife in until needed - it needs to defy gravity and unintentional withdrawal (don't we all, especially me at my age!).

Are there any particular Benchmade knives that you guys might recommend?

To answer you query, Jim, I've been fine and busier that a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. Still trying to keep us all safe and secure, most recently with border surveillance devices. I was in Egypt a couple of weeks ago. Interesting place. I never thought that I would ever get there and see the pyramids up close and personal, but there I was. The people are friendly for the most part and love Americans, but love American money even more. A real, bona fide Third World nation. Being there and especially coming home makes me happy and grateful to be an American, live where I do and be able to do things like post on this forum without someone crawling up my ass. Foreign travel is the best thing that anyone can do to make you glad to be from the Good Ole US&A as my friend Borat would say.

I hope all of you and your families are doing well and continue to do so in the new year. I look forward to reading your posts.

About to have a nice sip of absinthe,
Greyblade
missaman

Post by missaman »

Hi Missa GB Nice to see you back. Try Wayne Whitly From NC Custom made Fixed blades in your price range. I love my ats34 hunter Cost me 100.00 a few years ago.
Iffin you need an addy let me know
Missa
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

I'm gonna catch Hell for this, but I think Cold Steel knives are hard to beat, having owned and used several.

Kydex sheaths are available as aftermarket.

Many Cold Steel knives come with Kydex scabbards.

The point configuration you describe is called a clip point.

A hundred bux is plenty to spend to get a useable knife, and certainly a hundred and a half is going to buy you a serviceable knife.

Just my thought on the matter(and remember, several inexpensive knives to sacrifice to rough chores will save your good one.)
Life has no value, Death has a price
magnum

Post by magnum »

Greyblade i would contact Mike Stewart who owns Bark River Knife & Tool and he should be able to make what you are wanting at a reasonable price.Bark River knives are Well made knives.Go to http://www.jerzeedevil.com and you can find Mike there as he is a moderator on that forum.Just PM him and he will get back to you.
Knife Addiction??What Knife Addiction??
Greyblade

Post by Greyblade »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice.

Missaman - Address if you please.

Moochas grassy-ass,
Greyblade
hollowdweller

Post by hollowdweller »

Greyblade, There are any number of folks who could make you a kydex sheath for any sort of knife you want that would defy gravity.

I have several neck knives with kydex .
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

These "econo" models [less than $30] are excellent. The top one IS Finnish and the bottom Swedish.
Both are carbon steel..
http://www.kellamknives.com/index.php?m ... T6AyCtyLIi