Black Beauty Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vanagas

Re: Black Beauty Stiletto

Post by Vanagas »

Very cool knives. Very cool story.
Mike
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

When the auto "Opens with the speed of sound," does it create a 'sonic boom?' Wouldn't THAT piss-off the neighbors iff'n you were engaging in some serious 'click therapy?' :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JerrBear wrote:When the auto "Opens with the speed of sound," does it create a 'sonic boom?' Wouldn't THAT piss-off the neighbors iff'n you were engaging in some serious 'click therapy?' :P
:lol: Just a bit of "poetic license" or advertising exageration :wink:
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

do you guys remember the little 3" stiletto's that advertised 1.98 for 1 and get 2'nd one for 1 cent
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I really like seeing these old advertisements for knives.Anyone who has more like these please post them for everyone to see.It sure would make for great conversation""Just a thought"""
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

Anybody remember the similar "Wolf Killer" ads that ran in the same magazines?

And take note how scarce these knives are, even though thousands must have been sold to justify the expense of the monthly ad?

I would not be afraid to speculate that there are more automatic stilettos in America today than in the '50's-I never saw any for sale when I was a child, even though the nearby York Cutlery Co. was an importer.

In fact, I don't think I saw one in the flesh until I was seventeen-they were very rare items, indeed.

I used to see them on TV, though, and in the movies, where villains could throw them with unerring accuracy (in'Macao', a Jane Russel vehicle, one highbinder carried several 11'' stilettos in his sash, ready to fling them as needed!).

Dear, dead, innocent days!
Life has no value, Death has a price
jarvis

Post by jarvis »

krakenten wrote:And take note how scarce these knives are, even though thousands must have been sold to justify the expense of the monthly ad?
There were probably only a very limited number that actually had the Black Beauty stamp. They probably sold a whole bunch of them that had other stamps.
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

As I said above-hence the plethora of "M.Italy" knives. It's my theory, anyway.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Yes Bill, you jogged my memory. I seem to remember a post on one of the forums from at least a few years ago. Either the poster purchased a knife from the ad, or bought a knife from someone who did, and it had the M. Italy stamp.

Jim
ragtime red

Post by ragtime red »

jim d, wrote:Yes Bill, you jogged my memory. I seem to remember a post on one of the forums from at least a few years ago. Either the poster purchased a knife from the ad, or bought a knife from someone who did, and it had the M. Italy stamp.

Jim
The Black Beauty phenomon is an interesting one. With the ads running for at least 4 years, there should be tons of them. I have talked to people that responded to the ads and received knives with many different markings. I think it is only possibly the last year that the importer (a guy in Florida) had them marked as such, and the manual picklocks and lock backs that followed after the 1958 ban were marked Black Beauty. M. Italy was a stamp used by the Mauro Mario company in the late 50's and early 60's according to the man that was the production manager for the company in the 50's. (Angelo Campolin senior) It is possible that the Mauro Mario company made the Black Beauty knives, I think it is very likely, but there is no specific relation between the M. Italy stamp and the Black Beauty importer. Knives were still marked M. Italy for several years after the 58 ban when the Black Beauties ceased to be switchblades.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As always, thanks for the insight Tim.

Jim
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

The manual knives were also banned in the early sixties.

A few would appear from time to time, with clip points, very rarely, with bayo blades.

I even had a fifteen inch manual folder, once.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Manual knives may have been banned by some localities, but they were not banned from importation like the autos.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
switch67

Post by switch67 »

That's very odd, why would the manual stilettos be banned,and who banned them? I would like to hear more on this from Mr. Krakenten. As far as I know the main importer for stilettos between the 50's to 70's was G.C.Co(Guttman Cutlery Company) out of New york.They sure supplied us americans with alot of different italian stilettos,be it autos & manuals.
Cryptomecanic

Post by Cryptomecanic »

what ever happend to "THE WESTBURY SALE's COMPANY"
Italian Stiletto's Swing guard Lock Blades, Survival Knives,the last thing advertised was a boot knife in Soldier of Fortune magazine mid 90's ?
(everything from wine skins to tear gas fireing starter pistol's)