A new Maniago

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
krakenten

Re: A new Maniago

Post by krakenten »

Sadly, such knives have been around since the 1850s, and have never proved popular or practical.

Even the Marble's knives, the best of a bad lot, were never big sellers beyond the niche of New England, where timber scouts liked them, because they could be carried in casual clothes. Deems like a good idea, just never works.

As to the navaja, the Catalana-I have one in a 13'' pattern- are navajas. They were often called clasp knives, way back then, and Sherlock Holmes pinned his correspondence to the mantle with one.

Look to the old patterns, improve them and return them to the world!
Life has no value, Death has a price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Assorted knives could be made with a coil-spring that "pulls" to open the blade. This could be made to make replacing [a broken] spring an easy "at home" task :idea:
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Vagrant wrote:My idea for a serious o.t.f. [would require a sheath] but design it to only retract 1/2 way [and leave 1/2 exposed], this would allow a much longer blade then the usual o.t.f. and permit use when retracted for most uses :idea: [An everday kinfe, that would have a longer blade when you need one] :idea:
Microtech produced a double action otf just like that. The name of the knife escapes me, but it does exist.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
krakenten

Post by krakenten »

The Chinese also issued a similar knife to the 'armed police, though it was rigged to deploy when drawn.

Atlanta Cutlery sold them for a while.
Life has no value, Death has a price
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

krakenten wrote:The Chinese also issued a similar knife to the 'armed police, though it was rigged to deploy when drawn.

Atlanta Cutlery sold them for a while.
I almost bought one of those :lol:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The expanding knife, even if made as an automatic, would be perfectly legal, as it is always open-even when it's closed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Maniago should make an attractive useful knife that would appeal to both collectors and users :idea:
What useful can I do with a 15 inch sriletto? But, I have a Lion Steel that is VERY useful [made as an auto, it would be great] :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Perhaps Maniago should show us pics of potential choices, and ask us which we prefer :idea:
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

There are several good ideas, in "the perfect knife" http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19832 but no-one ever paid me to be a designer :wink:
skinny

Post by skinny »

Gotta agree with you here, Vagrant. I'm looking for an Italian-styled auto that will stand up to daily pocket knife use.
Solid bolsters, soldered to the frame, instead of flimsy stamped hollow ones that are only attached by one pin. Decent blade steel. That's about all it will take, to make a good working knife with the traditional aesthetics.
Switch King

Post by Switch King »

There are now new information?
Greetings from Europe
David76

Post by David76 »

Are you guys still planning on the trap door?
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

john wrote:Hello Everyone,
Frank Beltrame, his son, Ivano and an University engineer are working on the Trap Door Stiletto. They have been making prototype knives, testing these different models and making improvements. It is a time consuming process. With each prototype Frank and his team are getting closer to having a working knife that all collectors will be proud to own. I'm very excited to add one of these vintage reproduction models to my collection. As of today he anticipates having it available in mid 2013. It will be the knife of 2013. Frank's goal is to have a well built knife with a reliable mechanism, a blade that fires fast and with zero wobble. His knife will be of highest quality. If all goes as planned it will have the Italian government's "Q" etched on the blade. The same "Q" that is on the 5mm Frank Beltrame stilettos.

More updates to come as soon as Frank passes them on to me.
John
At the risk of stating the obvious, 2013 and 2014 are nearly gone - did this idea get abandoned?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!

I can't add much more. I started this thread on behalf of some manufacturers to probe the interest in particular models/aspects of knives for new production. Whether these are going to be produced or not, and when, is their decision. :-)

M.
David76

Post by David76 »

Well,we are very eagerly waiting. Thank you