AWESOME coil spring D2 horn humpbacks,. with a "twist"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: AWESOME coil spring D2 horn humpbacks,. with a "twist"

Post by Tom19176 »

How was the second batch with the light horn? Are they as bad assuming you got them?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I recently had a FB humpback that had the same issue: the handle was bent so the blade pushed against the liners when closed. It was so bad that it wouldn't fire. I talked to a number of people who mentioned the same issue with the same knife (the FB HB).

My theory was that, because the humpback stiletto has the two part backspring with a separation in the middle (instead of one single straight piece), warped horn is able to cause the handle to bend more significantly than on a normal stiletto with the full length backspring.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Of course, this would leave one to wonder why the same thing is not commonly seen on other HBs.

EDIT: I just looked at the pics in the OP again and the handles don't look like they are bent like mine was. When you look at them closely, can you see any evidence of warping of the horn?
peter44

Post by peter44 »

When these humpbacks first came out i wanted one badly and when knifeshop Austria (i live in europe )had some in stock i bought one . The fit and finish was that bad i sent it back and asked for a replacement , which when i recieved it was just as bad as the first one . I was expecting these to be of the same quality of franks earlier picklocks but these are crap. Could have been a nice knife but whoever assembled them did not have a clue.
Guns for show, knives for a pro!
Rave

Post by Rave »

I certainly don't claim to be all that knolegible on knives,but the pivots seem to me to be the most likely culprets,just saying. :)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It would make sense that it was a crooked pivot except it seems weird that a group of knives coming from FBs shop would all of the sudden have this issue. I have never heard of that being a problem with any other FBs so it seems unlikely that all these ones would happen to have it.

Also, on my FB humpback, you can clearly see the warped horns causing a bent handle is the culprit. If they were all made with the same stock of horn, they might have all suffered the same significant warping. Of course, HDs knives don't appear to have the same bent handles so maybe that is just with mine.
Attachments
0 1b.JPG
0 1b.JPG (83.29 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Horn warping has nothing to do with that.
Misaligned pin holes are what causes it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

So the pivot is like this (maybe not quite so dramatic)?
Attachments
Pivot.JPG
Pivot.JPG (50.24 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Yes. The pivot and backspring pin holes do not match. Something has to bend in order for the pins to tighten.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Is this how it would be corrected, by drilling holes for a bigger pivot that is straight?
Attachments
Pivot - Copy.JPG
Pivot - Copy.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Possibly. One or two of the holes on one liner don't align.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

How did something like this happen to so many of these humpbacks? I'm sure it happens once in a while but it seems like an epidemic with this batch of knives. Did they let the intern work the drill press or something?