alphabetized list of Switchblades in Films

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: alphabetized list of Switchblades in Films

Post by button_man »

Thanks to everyone for the additions..... it's too darn hot for me to do a lot of work on the List right now;
as soon as cooler weather arrives, I'll update it.

I noticed a switchblade in "The Night Flier" last night but was unable to discern any details about the knife.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Although I listed "American Pop" . . .the cartoon by Ralph Bakshi
I didm't have a photo grab. . .
time stamp 1:55 / 2:19
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjq8W0rgm0

So I found it
Attachments
American-Pop-Cartoon-0052.jpg
American-Pop-Cartoon-0052.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
mbnjknifemaker

Post by mbnjknifemaker »

Hello everyone
I wanted to post this a few days earlier, was doing it when a large tulip poplar fell onto my house and ripped out lines, so if this a double post I apologize. I'd like to add to the knives in movies list the following:
THE INCREDIBLE TWO HEADED TRANSPLANT 1971 At the 1hr 4min to 1hr 6min mark a science experiment gone wrong fights a middle aged looking biker who wields a 11" Rizzuto std guard and eventually plants it into the monster's arm. The monster proceeds to beat the man to death with a rock, pulls the knife from his arm, gives it a look of disgust and superiority and chucks it into the dirt. Best response to a R.E.M. I've ever seen.
ASTROZOMBIES 1968 At 16min 25 sec, 42min 13 sec through 44min 10 sec, 1hr 19 min 47 sec through 1hr 20 min and finally 1hr 28 min 04 sec
an actor named Rafael Campos wields either a 15" or a VERY robust 13" picklock. Mr Campos is a particularly slight man, maybe 5'6" in his stacked heel boots and maybe 130 lbs fully dressed AND with the knife in his pocket, so I'm honestly not sure, but it's a sweet knife.
HORROR HOTEL aka CITY OF THE DEAD at 1hr 15 min 44sec Christopher Lee pulls an Italian shell puller identical to the one on the cover and on pg 104 of Switchblades of Italy. His look of fury is more intimidating than the knife, IMHO.
WEREWOLF IN A GIRLS DORMITORY 42min 35 sec to 43 min 05 sec two men in a bar flick knives at each other
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW 1975 at 1hr9min 13sec an 11" italian knife is pulled from the back of a teddy bear.
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

Stumbled across this on YouTube.
Tarzan in Manhatten . . . . romance/comedy (early George of Jungle theme)
He confronts hoodlums, makes them drop weapons. . .
I can see two black rizzys and a Johnson Smith catalog pewter claw handle dagger.
Attachments
Tarzan-in-NY-m046.jpg
Tarzan-in-NY-m046.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 767 times
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries: Season 2 Episode 2. Janitor is instructed by inspector to empty his pockets. A small Rizzy turns up which the janitor describes as a "fishing knife". Raised eyebrows all around...
Mario

Post by Mario »

Spotted a couple switchblades in 1990’s Skinned Alive. One appeared to be a black EdgeCo Black Finger OTF and another appeared to be a red Japanese “Bullfighter” leverlock.
Killgar

Post by Killgar »

Since this got bumped I'll add some :) -

I see "The Valachi Papers" is mentioned on the list, but only the OTF's. I just saw the movie again a few nights ago, and there are several switchblade scenes. Most are 11" side-opening stiletto's, and there are the two OTF's used by the fake cops who kill the boss, but the real star of the film appears to be a 13" side-opening stag handle stiletto (pictured below).

I'm assuming they used the same knife for both scenes as I don't see a reason for the prop guy to use two separate knives. Although the one in the first pic appears to have an unusually wider blade than a typical stiletto. Unfortunately the knife is used in the castration scene :shock: which is rough to watch.

I've been thinking about that knife ever since. I'd love to have one just like it (with the wide blade).

Good movie based on real people. It details a particular period in the history of the US mafia.

A shot from the castration scene.

A shot from the initiation ritual.

And while I'm on the subject of mob movies, another movie that deals with the same story is "Bonanno: A Godfather Story", also known as "The Youngest Godfather" starring Martin Landau and Edward James Olmos.

Coincidentally, in this version the same mob boss as the one in "The Valachi Papers" is also killed by an OTF (pictured below). This knife has been a nagging mystery to me ever since I first saw the movie back in 1999. A very interesting and unusually large OTF for the late 1990's.

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A