Oddball OTF ring-pull

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

Re: Oddball OTF ring-pull

Post by button_man »

Bill, with all due respect, that's not how it looks from where I sit. I don't see any inaccuracies in my first post on June 20th -- most importantly, it was not until his 4th post that he specified a time period for the $10 and $12 prices that he mentioned repeatedly. Without that time frame, it is possible to get the impression that he had recently seen $10 price tags on knives that I am offering for $45.

Although I am not a complete greenhorn here any more, I am still fairly new at just over 3 years. I am acutely aware that many of the other members here possess experience, knowledge, and collections that I will never begin to approach. Because of this, I have been hesitant to post anything for sale until just recently -- the bars are set pretty high around here and I have not wanted to make a misstep.

I harbor no ill-will towards Tom and there are no hard feelings on my end of things. I just wish that he had stated that time period right off the bat.
The last thing I want is to look like some carpetbagger who is breezing in here and trying to swindle people. This is important to me.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I posted in the sale section you had a good price for the ones you were selling ( check and see). I was commenting on the history of the knife you posted here ( the Boarder patrol model) and I made statements that I thought were clear as to what I was referring too as in the past. I posted the Tomb Raiders as example of what else they use to sell in the old wholesale section. Reread what I wrote as I said references to "when they had wholesale sections in the past". I never knocked the ones you were trying to sell at anytime. I actually said you had a good price before your recent posts feeling I was not be fair to you ( check the for sale section). No hard feelings here either......
Last edited by Tom19176 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Bill thanks for your post my friend.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Would love to find one of these. Don’t think I’ll ever be able to afford an actual Dalton. I have a Chinese Cupid copy OTF, which is good enough for me. Paid $20 for it.

The maximum price I’ll pay for a knife is $250. That’s my limit. I’ll get a nice Italian for that price or even a used Microtech or Protech.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

button_man wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:04 am .

whip ~ Thanks for the background info..... if you run across that web site, or anything similar, please let me know!

Here is the Dalton thread with all the pics of most of the knives. Not sure but you may have to register to get the pics to load.
https://www.daltonforums.com/showthread.php?5088-Test
“When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty”
button_man

Post by button_man »

whip ~ Thanks for the Dalton link. Actually, the most interesting aspect of this site is that some of the handles are very close
to a knife that I posted in "Authenticating "sterile" switchblades" (Dec 23, 2021) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30121

At the time, some folks said it looked like a Benchmade. But go to the Dalton site and look at the, um, 41st knife down
(AFO, 8 - 7/16" OAL, Release: 1992-1995) -- the handle is not an exact match, but it sure is close.

So now I'm at a total loss as to whether it's an "unmarked (knife) from Benchmade" or counterfeit Dalton knife.
If it's a fake, it's really well made..... the machining, fit, etc. all seem to be top-notch.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can tell you with certainty the knife is not a Benchmade or a Dalton. The handles are die cast zinc. The knife is Asian.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Agree with Bill. I will see if I can get a few pictures of the ones my friend got from BladePlay back in the past to show you. I think he still has a few
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks Bill & Tom ~ I suspected that it might be a knock-off.... but geez, it's really very well made for a fake.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG (658.94 KiB) Viewed 69 times
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (639.27 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

My friend had six left. of these.....