AGA Campolin 2017 picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
button_man

AGA Campolin 2017 picklock

Post by button_man »

Just got this at the flea a couple hours ago.... NOT from the hoard source; somebody else entirely. The horn doesn't photograph very well,
but it's really gorgeous! The whole knife is overbuilt and reminds me of a pit bull.... not huge in size (10") but very mass-dense. (194.4 g)
The ricasso is marked "AGA" over "Campolin" over "Maniago - Italy" over "2017". The seller was asking 200 and we settled on 160.

I would love to see others from this series and of course would like to learn anything I can.... does anyone know how many
were made in that year? If there were other scale options besides horn? Different blade styles? .....anything at all.....???

If I had money to burn and didn't care about the cost -- and if I didn't mind putting wear and tear on an absolutely beautiful knife
(which would kill me!) then I would pick this out of all my automatics as the top choice for EDC. I instantly fell in love with it.

(oops.... I just noticed that I dated all the photos "1917" instead of "2017"...! Gosh, I miss the 20th century.... )
Attachments
AGA_Campolin_1917__644c__open_obv.jpg
AGA_Campolin_1917__644c__open_obv.jpg (391.41 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
AGA_Campolin_1917__654c__scale_obv.jpg
AGA_Campolin_1917__654c__scale_obv.jpg (303.93 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
AGA_Campolin_1917__664c__scale_rev.jpg
AGA_Campolin_1917__664c__scale_rev.jpg (319.42 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
AGA_Campolin_1917__656c__backspring.jpg
AGA_Campolin_1917__656c__backspring.jpg (234.42 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
jim d,

Re: AGA Campolin 2017 picklock

Post by jim d, »

button_man, that is a very nice example of a very nice model. I have seen horn like that in person and know what you mean about photos not doing it justice. I have held one of those and agree that they are stout, and think you did well on the price assuming the usual - no peek, tight lockup etc.

Jim
button_man

Post by button_man »

Oh yes, it's all good..... no problems whatsoever! There are a few light scratches on the blade.... as though it was lying on a desk and somebody
tossed their car keys onto the blade a few times.... but you really have to look to see them. A couple of the pins have very slight pin burr,
but these days that's almost a given anyhow. I'm being very nit-picky here to emphasize how extremely close the knife is to being really excellent.

I was a bit concerned when I first saw that the spring tip is "underwater" -- below the edge of the liner -- because I always sort of figure that
"spring peek" indicates extra deployment force. But there is nothing lacking with this spring.... it's just as sturdy as the rest of the knife, and
the blade snaps open with real authority.

jim, do you have any idea how many knives might have been made in one of these Campolin dated series?
Dozens? Hundreds? More than a thousand? I have no idea at all and I'm just trying to get some kind of handle on it......

JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

It's a shame that Angelo finally took down all the old out of stock items on 3Knives. Even though many were out of stock, the descriptions often showed lots of info. on a given knife. Also, provided values according to when they were new. It's all gone now.
But, they do have one Frosolone model, like yours, left... https://www.3knives.com/en/product/3158 ... b-bra.html

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
button_man

Post by button_man »

Thanks JV -- this is very interesting indeed...! Also somewhat confusing: although the specs are identical, mine weighs 194 grams and
the knife in the ad is listed at 240 grams. I don't understand the difference of almost two ounces, which is quite a bit.

Also, the markings on the ricasso are totally different! My knife (unfortunately) lacks the Renzo Pascotto signature. The only reason that I can think of
is that Campolin was already making this model of knife, and then decided to use it as the signature piece for RP's 80th birthday commemoration?

BTW, in real life my ricasso stamp looks nothing like this photo! The lettering is actually very crisp and distinct..... but for some reason,
every photograph shows it looking blurry and coarse and almost illegible.

If anyone can offer insight on the weight difference and the different markings, please wade in....! Thanks again JV !!
Attachments
3knives__B__ricasso_zoom_c.jpg
3knives__B__ricasso_zoom_c.jpg (3.25 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
AGA_Campolin_2017__643c__ricasso_zoom_c.jpg
AGA_Campolin_2017__643c__ricasso_zoom_c.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Renzo Pascotto makes certain models for A.G.A. Campolin, but only puts his laser engraving (etch?) on very few of them. This makes his “signature” pieces less common and more desirable for some collectors (like having the actual artist sign his own work). Does not necessarily mean the two markings are any different in quality than the other. The Frosolone models came in three sizes: 10”, 11” and 13”- which must be the difference in weight. It’s a fine piece.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
button_man

Post by button_man »

Well, that's just the thing..... other than the weight, ALL the specs for the knife in the advert are identical to my knife!
They are both ten inches OAL with a 4.5" blade, and so forth. But I didn't know that they also came in 11" and 13" sizes,
and this suggests a possible answer -- I have seen numerous occasions where specs for one knife were copied over for
a similar knife; and one (or more) of the few changes necessary were overlooked.... resulting in one (or more) specs for
Knife A now being given in error for Knife B. This may explain why the weights do not match.

P.S. ~ Yes, it IS a fine piece! I feel lucky to have found it, especially since dozens of people had walked by it before
I got to the flea. And more than any other knife I have, this one really made me take notice at the difference between photos
and real life. If I had never held this knife, and just looked at pictures, I would have said "Looks okay, I guess..... not really
my style, though...." and passed right over it. Only by seeing it in person and handling it did I really appreciate what a
truly outstanding knife it is.

P.P.S. ~ I dunno if anyone else saw "Perry Mason: The Case of the Notorious Nun" on METV last night.....?
During the first minute of the movie, an assassin enters a church and attempts to kill a priest with a classic
Italian stiletto switchblade..... not sure whether it was 11" or 13" but it was definitely a very long knife.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

I missed :oops: the Renzo vs Campolin stamps. Thanks for the clarification Chris, I wouldn't have known that. I certainly agree with "it's a fine piece" The one I held wasn't for sale, if it was, I would have bought it.

Jim
NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Very nice score brother. I have a 10 and 11 inch Renzo frosolone and had been looking for an AGA stamp for some time now. A few months ago a couple popped up on 3K and I didn't hesitate to pay, dearly so, for that 10 inch AGA stamp. And I was lucky at the proverbial wheel spin as when it arrived I found it to be very well put together. I had worried since these few popped up after they hadn't been available for so long that they were either old inventory found, "seconds" or possibly returned and tuned for re-sell or some other capitalistic scenario. :)

You scored well for 160, I can testify to that. So congrats on the find, she looks nice!

Now, if I can find one of the 13" modern AGA, Renzo or MiI frosolones. I've looked everywhere without luck thus far, but that's part of what makes this game so much fun...great expectations. ;)

Peace.
NorthCarolinaDude

JulesVane wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:45 am It's a shame that Angelo finally took down all the old out of stock items on 3Knives. Even though many were out of stock, the descriptions often showed lots of info. on a given knife. Also, provided values according to when they were new. It's all gone now.
But, they do have one Frosolone model, like yours, left... https://www.3knives.com/en/product/3158 ... b-bra.html
Agreed on the bummer of them taking the old sold inventory offline. I guess it was dumb luck but I went through their site and downloaded the page for every knife I have in my collection. It is, er was, an excellent reference. Had I known they're were going to do away with that stuff then I would've used a site downloader and grabbed the whole place, haha.

BTW, I'm not too impressed with the new "KnifeShop" model either. When I got an email saying "big" changes were coming and there would be a "surprise" in 7 Days, I immediately thought, "Hell yeah, here comes the 75th Anniversary Campolins!" Alas, so far, it looks like just a DNS and format change to the site. :(

Peace.
button_man

Post by button_man »

NCDude ~ Might you be able to weigh your 10" and 11" Frosolones and let us know how they compare to my knife at 194.4
and the 3K advertised knife at 240 grams? Also, I wonder whether the AGA-stamped knives and the RP-stamped knives (of
identical sizes) weigh the same? --because any significant difference might indicate that they are made differently....

Thanks for the kind comments, and for any light that you might be able to shed on this weight mystery.....!
NorthCarolinaDude

button_man wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:53 pm .

NCDude ~ Might you be able to weigh your 10" and 11" Frosolones and let us know how they compare to my knife at 194.4
and the 3K advertised knife at 240 grams? Also, I wonder whether the AGA-stamped knives and the RP-stamped knives (of
identical sizes) weigh the same? --because any significant difference might indicate that they are made differently....

Thanks for the kind comments, and for any light that you might be able to shed on this weight mystery.....!
Will do, but I'll need to get back tomorrow on it. I have to dig them out and my battery is dying on this tablet. So I'll post the weights of all 3 tomorrow at some point.

I'm curious myself if there are any differences between my 2 10s. The AGA may be the model with brass guards and accents.

Not sure what the weight difference would be on brass vs nickel silver, so it'll be interesting to find out.

Peace.
NorthCarolinaDude

I have completed my initial analysis, minus one of the cast of characters. I hate to say it, but I could not find my 10 inch Renzo! Never fear, it's here somewhere, just buried in the horde somewhere. On the upside, I found not one but two classic Italian Edge Co knives believed to have been produced in Maniago, reportedly by the Beltrame clan. One if a 15 inch manual humpback kris stiletto with imitation pearl scales and the other a 9 inch manual swivel bolster kris stiletto in imitation pearl as well. Both have the Edge medallion where you'd find a firing button. One is stamped Rostfrei and the other stamped Inox. Best of all, they're like new in their boxes with original inserts and all of the other Brattleboro VT propaganda! I had completely forgot about them. They were sitting in one of my older storage boxes just as they had come to me in the mail. Looks like I opened them, said wow, put them in storage and then went about ordering something else. :D I also found my Mexican pull cord from Edge Co. and one of their brass leverlocks, so it was a good day!

And with that, onto the analysis. The 11 inch Renzo Frosolone, in horn, weighed in at 235 grams and the 10 inch AGA Brass Frosolone, in horn, weighed in at 188 grams. Now, my 10 inch Renzo is in nickle silver so if I can find it I'll throw it on the scale next. As said previous, not sure about weight differences between the Brass and Nickle Silver models. So I really need to track it down to complete the picture.

Hope this info helps. And if anybody has a 13" modern Maniago Frosolone they wish to part with feel free to reach out as I continue to seek but not find such model.

Peace.

button_man

Post by button_man »

This seems to be further confirmation that the specs for an 11" Frosolone were cut and pasted over into that advert for a 10" Frosolone,
and they simply neglected to change the weight to the correct number. The difference between your two knives is 47 grams;
the difference between my 10" Fros and the number in the advert is 45.6 grams. Since your scale doesn't register gram fractions,
the two comparisons are probably even closer.

Thanks a bunch for digging out the knives and weighing them..... Knife Knerds love obsessing over minutia like these!
And I'm glad that you ran across some old friends whilst rummaging...... I know the feeling well, and it's almost like
finding buried treasure -- "Holy Snail Snot...! I had completely forgotten about this stuff...!" It's a great feeling!

When you find the 10" RP, please come back to this thread and add the new info! Thanks again...! :D
NorthCarolinaDude

button_man wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 am .

When you find the 10" RP, please come back to this thread and add the new info! Thanks again...! :D
Will do as I surmised how unorganized my knives were when I dug into them so I'll likely find it when I pack everything back up, better organized.

Nonetheless, I think you're right in that it was sloppy cut and paste. I've seen many such examples online. Over at AZCK, they have several Frank B swivel bolsters that claim to be picklocks in the description. :)

Peace.