Grind Works Selling FAKE AKC knives?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
big_slim

Re: Grind Works Selling FAKE AKC knives?

Post by big_slim »

It's a sad day when it's not obvious whether you are looking at a Chinese stiletto or an Italian one. Has the quality of Italian stilettos fallen so far that they are indistinguishable from the cheap Chinese copies?
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

I saw the listing on Grindworx and my brain saw it as SKM, because Grindworx carries SKM knives and I know that AKC usually doesn't make stilettos.

But when I saw the logo I was suspicious and recognized the similarity with the clones on the Chinese commerce sites.

A novice will be fooled but I can recognize the fakes in a few seconds. The quickest way is the two piece kick spring with an extra pin holding it.
Also the brass frame is actually plated steel and will attract a magnet.

Giving Grindworx the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were fooled by a supplier.
But the real answer can only come from AKC if they are sourcing these from Asia.
button_man

Post by button_man »

JPD1998 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:23 pm The quickest way is the two piece kick spring with an extra pin holding it.
Also the brass frame is actually plated steel and will attract a magnet.
Now this is useful information.... but could somebody expand on the statements that the safety, pins, and grind are wrong? Just hearing that they are wrong doesn't help me in knowing HOW they are wrong. The safety appears to be "high" -- closer to the deployment button than on Italian knives -- and the front pins appear to be closer to the bolster than on Italian knives -- but these are just guesses.

JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

On the clones , they grind the edge real thin, not obtuse like a real Italian.
Here's a 13" , dagger blade clone ( bottom) with an Italian bayonet blade

Here's a shot of the pin in front of the kick spring, the Italian on top has a single spring.

NorthCarolinaDude

Post by NorthCarolinaDude »

Tom19176 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:29 am Look at the PICTURE in the link I posted. The safety is wrong, pins are wrong, blade grind is off for a Italy knife but spot on for a China one.....I saw the picture in a email sale ad I was sent and that made me read the specs as it said CHINA to me. It was then I read China in the specs. Scott I am on the FB site and read your story which was interesting too.....
Admittedly, I did not scrutinize the pics, I clicked on the link and went straight to the full specs/details that were mentioned repeatedly to see what it said...

...and, as of this moment, it says "Country of Origin: Italy"

Maybe they have since corrected it?

I'd like to believe that it's still all just human error, be it the wrong picture or wrong description. I can't believe they'd risk their business with Italy just to make a few bucks selling bad Chinese copies. I'd rather like to think it's just some new temp kid working the database, keying in information and pics, and telling everybody about his fascination with Microtechs...how one day he wants to grow up and buy one. :D

In all seriousness, I guess we'll never know for sure, unless somebody's bought one and can post pictures. But let's just hope GW/BHQ hasn't stepped so low!

Peace. Scott.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I see they changed it to Italy. Still looks like a China copy. Even the black sheath. Ever see one of those with an Italian 13" model?
XBMX

Post by XBMX »

I posted a like thread last April re AKC China/Italy. Very suspicious
Erik131065

Post by Erik131065 »

They are mistakenly advertised as AKC. It's a SKM made knife. and of very good quality.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Erik131065 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:51 pm They are mistakenly advertised as AKC. It's a SKM made knife. and of very good quality.
You can’t imagine (or, maybe you can), how many “issues” come up with whether an AKC classic/ traditional stiletto is real or counterfeit. It drives me as nuts as “every Rostfrei stamped switchblade was meant for Germany”! (Or, a German knife). 🤣 It never ends! And, Angelo advertising SKM as AKC, sure doesn’t help.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Erik131065

Post by Erik131065 »

but it's true take a look at the 3K website. All the similar knives are advertised as SKM exept for the faux ivory which is advertised as AKC. They must have been mistaken. All knives are marked Made in Italy. I have one (a faux ivory). That being said, I think they are running out of classic and picklock models. Nothing new coming up since some time now.
JPD1998

Post by JPD1998 »

The knives on the 3K site are SKM knives. The knives that were listed on Grindworx had fake AKC logos.

A few days days after my post here, Grindworx listed a fake 9" AKC with the fake logo and a stainless steel frame ( and cheap belt pouch).
They originally listed the 9" for $49 and then bumped it up to $69. Then all the fakes disappeared, so either they were called out or someone bought them.

In the past I've received 2 SKM knives from GW's, listed as Frank B's, but this counterfeit nonsense has me questioning whether I'll buy anything from them again.
RON K.

Post by RON K. »

JUST GETTING BACK INTO BLADES AFTER A 15 YEAR LAYOFF.collected everything. thanks for the heads up.now i have to triple check everything.i should enjoy this forum.My uncle made blades for many years.its all been fun.RON K.