WWII Italian Switchblades

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
jim d,

Re: WWII Italian Switchblades

Post by jim d, »

WS is correct, the stamps from that time frame are importers stamps. According to SOI A&K was "a Clevelander named Billstein"

Jim
Dew229

Post by Dew229 »

I have one exactly like the top picture that was given to me from one of my dads friends who was a U.S. tank driver in North Africa. The bone handles are white/black/greyish but identical knife. He said he "found " it in North Africa before his tank was blown up and and he was severely injured.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Post a picture of your knife, please.
These were not made with bone handles-they were usually cow horn, deer stag, or wood.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

JKT replicated my father's Fishtail Picklock. All I know is that dad carried his Sicilian automatic on his belt in a leather sheath he made for it. This knife holds a special place in my heart. He used the knife as a deck implement and kept it "razor-sharp". The "one-handed operation" of this knife saved his arm and life in a nearly fatal incident at the Bremerton Washington Naval Shipyards.

This wasn't a "battle/fighting" knife, but a deck knife that daddy carried constantly. It was both convenient and useful.
Fishtail Picklock
jerryk25

Post by jerryk25 »

A rigger's knife. . . . . . sounds interesting. . . .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

A & K . . . tang stamp
A "bring home " from italy would be like a Raimondo. Springer.
Which is not an importers / country of origin post war stamp.

the transition to newer tang stamps is often specially problematic. . .with more obscure Tangs.

If you figure out who "A-n-K" is, where they were located (like New York)
then you would have a time frame when "A-n-K" knives appeared, if they ever did.

and you could refute, or justify, any story of a "Bring-Back" . . . .

It could be argued that . . . .not saying "made in Italy" . . .or "A&K" "italy"
would / might . . .place it earlier in the post war attempts at economic rebuild.
Then some occupying force GIJoe grabbed it / them up.
before tang logo rules were settled.
Fishtail Picklock

jerryk25 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:31 am A rigger's knife. . . . . . sounds interesting. . . .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I don't know where dad bought his "deck knife" but it had a Carbon Steel blade. When Jeremey T Kreis built the knife it was a true replica. Dad carried a knife for "deck" use. When I was a kid, I accidentally cut myself with the old girl. She held a great edge. (I can only imagine that it was 1095 Carbon Steel because it had a "Carbon Steel Patina" on it). This was before my older brother either lost it or had it confiscated.

This is what made me fall in love with the "useful" auto knife. (One that holds an edge and has a place in history because of its true purpose). Daddy was a "Deck Ape" (Boatswain's Mate, First Class). He had been "passed, but not advanced" to Chief Petty Officer thirteen times. (There weren't any open billets to be filled). The UDT/NRT (Underwater Demolition Team/Navy Rifle Team) members were very special. (Today they call them SEAL teams).

I believe the old blade was a Latama, but I can't swear to it. Alongside the knife (carried tip-up) Dad carried a Marlinspike with an adjustable end wrench silver-soldered onto it. These were the tools needed to perform most of the on-deck duties. When dad was a young man, he worked as a saddlemaker. This is why his "dual-duty" sheath form-fitted to both the auto and the marlinspike.

These were the "deck tools' of "The Greatest Generation".
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
fowlintent

Post by fowlintent »

I have a 10 1/2" Latama passed down from my dad. I know it is at least pre 1960. What features would I be looking at to better determine its correct era?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Latama switchblades were made from around 1947 to around 1952, maybe 1954.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Bill DeShivs wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 am Latama switchblades were made from around 1947 to around 1952, maybe 1954.
I don't really know how old dad's knife was. I believe he found it either prior to, or during WW2. (He was nearly killed 80 years ago during the December 7th attack on Pearl Harbor. (Father was 24 years old at the time).

Perhaps Mr. DeShivs can help me "pin down" the knife's date of manufature.
Fishtail Picklock