Old Frosolone campobasso,NOW AT AUCTION

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Elan

Old Frosolone campobasso,NOW AT AUCTION

Post by Elan »

Hello all,

New to the forum. I recently bought an old home (1947) from the original owner. He was 92. Cleaning up, I found this on a top shelf in the basement.

It obviously has signs of age but would clean up nicely. Handle looks like horn. Mechanism works but could use some oil. It's about 10" when open.

Seems to be inscribed with:

D PISCITELLI
FROSOLONE
CAMPOBASSO

Can anyone provide any more info? Age? Approximate value?

Thanks!

Frosolone campobasso
Last edited by Elan on Fri May 12, 2017 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
sammy the blade

Re: Old Frosolone campobasso, more info?

Post by sammy the blade »

Probably worth some money. Don't clean it up just yet if you plan on selling it, some collectors prefer them untouched. Someone here will know about what it's worth, nice score!
2024 candidate for president
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

I`d say it dates about the same as the house , maybe a little earlier. As for worth I have my thoughts but will wait to see what the folks here have to say,,,,, the Italian switchblade knife economy is on the skids downward at the moment.
Elan

Post by Elan »

Thanks guys. It was exciting to find. I was just snooping around with a flashlight. I'll leave the cleaning up to someone more experienced. My thought was it's a fairly early model as there is no metal at the base like most have.

Are these still under restrictions? Anyone have any educational links that are worth reading about them?

My other find was a code and directions for a safe! If I can only find that damn safe! I feel like a kid in the goonies haha.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

As far as restrictions it depends on the laws in your state. A lot of states have recently changed laws regarding knives so I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about it anyway just don't get stupid with it, leave it at home, don't put it in your car and forget about it.
2024 candidate for president
Elan

Post by Elan »

sammy the blade wrote:As far as restrictions it depends on the laws in your state. A lot of states have recently changed laws regarding knives so I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about it anyway just don't get stupid with it, leave it at home, don't put it in your car and forget about it.

Yeah I don't think I'm interested in keeping it. I'm not a knife collector, and this looks like a piece to be appreciated.

It does seem to be quite rare being a piscitelli.
john

Post by john »

Simply outstanding!!! Awesome find. I've never seen that particular stamp.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Elan
Absolutely beautiful knife!

There is an excellent write up on google about rocco petrunti and his apprentices of Froselone , one of which was named Pisticelli ,and a freind of his was named Gelomino Pisticelli.(Sorry if spelled wrong)

I am only a novice my freind but type in "froselone campobasso switchblade "on google and you will find some info.

Its a rare knife at least 70 years plus in age and in the condition collectors like ....it gives options of restoration or keeping as is.

Here was one on TB a long while back belonging to redeye.If you type in "campobasso" in the magnifying glass search portion here, old posts show up ,its great

Thanks for sharing.this beauty
regards

Ian
Attachments
CIMG5146.jpg
CIMG5146.jpg (84.02 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Elan

I don't know the value of this froselone as ive never seen one for sale where i live,and search but it will be worth a pleasant surprise to you i 'll wager.

Did you try the search on google and here as i suggested.
There will be more replies here later by other members who know more about these particular knives.

Good luck .....its great to keep seeing these rare finds ....boxes in garages,wall cavitys now on top of shelves what a find 8)

Regards
gravknife
Elan

Post by Elan »

gravknife wrote:Elan

I don't know the value of this froselone as ive never seen one for sale where i live,and search but it will be worth a pleasant surprise to you i 'll wager.

Did you try the search on google and here as i suggested.
There will be more replies here later by other members who know more about these particular knives.

Good luck .....its great to keep seeing these rare finds ....boxes in garages,wall cavitys now on top of shelves what a find 8)

Regards
gravknife

Yeah I found a little bit of info by googling it, in particular excerpts from an Italian switchblade book which says this is the rarest of the switchblades. I was shocked to find only a couple examples of it online- the biggest being the example posted above. If anyone recommends an appraiser I'd be interested in having it appraised.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Oil the steel parts. Do nothing else to it.
While you aren't going to get rich off of it, it is worth probably more than you think.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I am sure by now you have had numerous offers, unfortunately they will offer you a price that sounds great.
My advice is to research and set a price on your own terms.
We are a great bunch but have our share of parasites that prey on the unknowing.
Ask around and decide for yourself what is fair.
Don't be be fooled.

You have an outstanding piece that is highly desirable. Don't get screwed,
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

wow man awesome find . i think your flatguard picklock stiletto knife was made in 1920's or 1930's in Frosolone Italy, ive seen the stamp before, the knife is highly sought after by flatguard collectors . im just guessing but i bet its worth somewhere around 2000 dollars .
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

As others stated, that is a phenomenal find. My guess is that you may be a bit frustrated by the lack of a more definitive appraisal. One reason is that values of vintage switchblades have varied a lot over the last several years. Also, it is not like some real estate appraisals where they have comparable properties that have sold recently which provide good value estimates. Your knife is rare and unique so there are not comparable examples that have sold recently. Wish I could provide more information.

Jim
Elan

Post by Elan »

I appreciate everyone's valuable info. You guys have been great in giving me the direction I needed. It has been hard to find info, but I'm happy to say that I will be putting an auction together in the next week and will be offering it up. I will update you. On the progress!

Elan