Replacement Spring

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

Re: Replacement Spring

Post by john »

Hello Chris and Robert,

You can ask Bill D "How to temper steel?" and you can google how to..... anything.

I asked the same question, How to measure a blade :?: The reply was from the handle to the tip and not the cutting edge. An example is a 9 inch stiletto has a 5 inch handle and a 4 inch blade. The cutting edge may only measure 3.5 inches, but you should include the .5 inch tang.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

john wrote:Hello Chris and Robert,

You can ask Bill D "How to temper steel?" and you can google how to..... anything.

I asked the same question, How to measure a blade :?: The reply was from the handle to the tip and not the cutting edge. An example is a 9 inch stiletto has a 5 inch handle and a 4 inch blade. The cutting edge may only measure 3.5 inches, but you should include the .5 inch tang.
Right, thats how i found out you could temper steel in the oven :) probably not the best or more ideal way, but it works somewhat ok. I would definitely recommend looking it up first to see exact temperatures and time to leave it in and such.
john

Post by john »

Chrisadamley wrote:
john wrote:Hello Chris and Robert,

Right, thats how i found out you could temper steel in the oven :) probably not the best or more ideal way, but it works somewhat ok. I would definitely recommend looking it up first to see exact temperatures and time to leave it in and such.
n

Wow!!! Who knew tempering in an oven what's next?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

john wrote:
Wow!!! Who knew tempering in an oven what's next?
I can feel the sarcasm just seething from you :shock:

I mean to say that you don't need a special heat treating oven if you don't want to buy one, you can use your kitchen oven if have to.
turbo_dog

Post by turbo_dog »

I think a toaster oven works just fine too. We replaced one a few weeks ago, and I wouldn't let my wife throw out the old one. One of these days I will make blades and springs from scratch instead of just mangling factory knives.