Due Buoi Classic 9 Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
john

Re: Due Buoi Classic 9 Stiletto

Post by john »

Hi lamppa,
Your knife seems to me to have too many issues for a Due Buoi. I know it's not a Thorn or Forged Stiletto costing 3 to 4 times as much, but I would write to Due Buoi , www.duebuoi.it/ , in Italy and tell Vittorio about the issues with your knife. I just ordered one Classic from the Due Buoi website from Vittorio. It will take at least 60 days to arrive.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
andrea

Post by andrea »

lamppa wrote:
andrea wrote: hello Krab, is these are ugly, you're right! its ugly sin not know where you got but not good to see the photos!
Ciao
Andrea

WTF are you yammering about?
Hello Lampa,
sorry but I only see the bad pictures that highlight only flaws of this knife.
English is not my language.
but I have the eye to see what I see.
the blade to be sharpened wrong thread, with not original.
you put the knife certainly is not nice.
but be different from what I have.
the defect, for those who have passion sometimes stimulates.
try to make you change this knife.
so I would not keep.
if the store where you bought does not reimburse then just get angry.
excuse my English.
Andrea
Vito

Post by Vito »

Hi John,
i would like to tell you the concept behind the forged stiletto ( and thorn) and classic:
forged stiletto was created to make a knife completely different from what used to be in the market, so the frame was forged in one solid piece, scales were flushed to the bolster etc.etc.

classic due buoi stiletto was created for making the original old knife with the solid stainless steel bolsters as upgrade.
basically it is the standard stiletto has not the quality of the forged and, as you can see, is doesn't cost like the forged.
It still has satin bayo blade finishing and more attention on quality but .... not a forged one.
This was to have an affordable DUE BUOI knife on the market.

Now Due Buoi is working on a forged leverlock
http://www.duebuoi.it/x/uk_usd/view/m/seven12.html
This knife will have the quality of the forged but not so expensive..........

Best regards to all the forum
Vito
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

I bought one of these at Blade when they were first introduced. It was an adventure to say the least. They probably had about 30 laid out to play with. Almost all had bolsters that would stick and not return to rest. After trying several, I chose one that I thought was good. It was not. It had a hair trigger and even with the safety on, it would fire in my carryng bag. The next day I took it back to the booth to exchange it. Wayne Clifton's brother, whose name I can not remember, treated me well and handed me another that did not have issues. I think they must have sorted through the lot and had a few good ones set aside. Wayne Clifton was another matter. He fussed over my original and acted like it had no problem. It was a little annoying.
Here's a pic but for some reason this site is not compatible with my format.
Vito

Post by Vito »

HI fastr19
first run of classic stiletto ( dagger blade) had some problems with firing botton and safety.
Now problems are solved!
h1942

Post by h1942 »

I hope you don"t thinkyou got a good buy for 80.00.Alway"s buy in country.This makes it easier to get a refund when you are sent crap like this. Sorry just my 2 cents. Hank
john

Post by john »

Hello to everyone who has read this thread or commented on it.
Please read my comment here form the bottom up.
These are email's that went to and from Wayne Cliffton, Due Buoi's representative in the US.
When I saw limpp's thread I decided to buy a Classic Stiletto from Due Buoi. Due Buoi's reputation for high quality knives is well known and I have said many times my Thorn is the best made knife in my collection with fit and finish that is 99.99999999999999% perfect. I love my Thorn. I'd recommend one to anyone. Vittorio Centa is an awesome man to do business with and I recommend working with him directly.
Vittorio if you should read this thread I will be sending you an email. It will be for the purchase of a Classic stiletto.
John

Hello Wayne,
NO, I DO NOT WANT TO BUY A KNIFE FROM YOU!!!!!!!!!!
I would however BUY a knife from Vittorio Centa. I have exchanged emails with Vittorio in the past and I have found him to be a wonder man to work with. He knows how to treat a customer. Due Buoi is is Great Great Gandfater's business and he knows what it means to own and operate a business in today's global economy. You can not disrespect your customers and stay in business very long.
I will send an email to Vittorio asking him if he has a knife that he would like to sell me.
I DO NOT WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOU.
Sincerely,
John

Take a look at these Photo's. I have purchased cheap Chinese stiletto with no a sing defect for under $15.00 that work as well as Italian knives.
Have your read this thread on TalkBlade.info?
Here's the link: http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20798
Read what these people had to say, lamppa wrote "now onto the flaws. I expected some, its only 80.00.
overall I am happy with the knife, its great for the price.
I am, however, picky and looked it over well.
it was kinda sharp, it needed a bit of work.

the biggest thing first.
and he goes on to say
he top rear bolster has a flaw where the casting was pimpled and could have been smoothed out.
and he goes on to say
the scales could have been ground to match the bolsters.
and he goes on to say
2 rivets are not flush and were not flat with the scales.
this one is the worst of the 2
and he goes on to say
the tool seems to have made some marks on this one
and he goes on to say
the swivel bolster is not quite square.
the scale IS straight with the body but the bolster is not.
and he goes on to say
overall I would give it a 7.5 out of 10
it seems awesome, and it will be for a daily user.
Its not really a collector/flawless piece.

Would I buy another for 80.00? Yes.
Do i want another from them? Yes, but its 260.00."

7.5 out of 10 lamppa is being very generous.

andrea wrote "Hello,
you have been very unlucky,
First, it seems to me that this knife someone has got their hands.
too bad.
photographs of poor quality only to highlight defects for a strange knife duebuoi.
if you are not happy with this you could let you change.
... or maybe just be a prototype ... then you are very lucky to have this.
and he goes on to say
Hello Lampa,
sorry but I only see the bad pictures that highlight only flaws of this knife.
English is not my language.
but I have the eye to see what I see.
the blade to be sharpened wrong thread, with not original.
you put the knife certainly is not nice.
but be different from what I have.
the defect, for those who have passion sometimes stimulates.
try to make you change this knife.
so I would not keep.
if the store where you bought does not reimburse then just get angry.
excuse my English.
Andrea"

I agree with Andre when he writes "so I would not keep"

fastr19 wrote: "I bought one of these at Blade when they were first introduced. It was an adventure to say the least. They probably had about 30 laid out to play with. Almost all had bolsters that would stick and not return to rest. After trying several, I chose one that I thought was good. It was not. It had a hair trigger and even with the safety on, it would fire in my carryng bag. The next day I took it back to the booth to exchange it. Wayne Clifton's brother, whose name I can not remember, treated me well and handed me another that did not have issues. I think they must have sorted through the lot and had a few good ones set aside. Wayne Clifton was another matter. He fussed over my original and acted like it had no problem. It was a little annoying.
Here's a pic but for some reason this site is not compatible with my format."

I agree when fastr19 wrote Wayne Clifton was another matter. He fussed over my original and acted like it had no problem. It was a little annoying.
Wayne you are annoying; you need to learn how to treat customers. If I were Vittorio Centa I would had fired you a long time ago.
I had an issue with you over a the Thorn I purchased a year or so ago the original knife you sent me had scratches on the blade. I returned it to you. Your attitude was awful and your attitude is still awful.
This is what you wrote:
"Hi John,
To be honest with you, John, after looking at the knife that you returned, I don't know if we can please you. Those were very tiny scratches to say the least and I had trouble seeing them without moving the knife to different angles under the light. Those type of scratches can happen any time the knife is handled. Evidently, you are a most discriminating collector and not a user. These knives can be collected but we make them to be used. If those scratches were long and/or deep, I can understand your displeasure, but the ones on that knife, well, I don't know. I just don't think we can meet your standards.
Ciao,
Wayne"

My reply to you was the following:
Ciao Wayne,

I think Signore Centa would be surprised that a Due Buoi Thorn left the plant with those marks on the tang stamp. The Due Boui website shows unmarked blades. I should have taken photos, but I didn't. My friends have shown me detailed photos of their Due Buoi knives with unmarked blades. It was their photos and recommendations that convinced me to contact you. I have a $14.00, 9" Chinese stiletto without a single mark on the blade. I was shocked at the quality of that knife from China. I bought it to take apart, but I decided to keep it. I've paid good money and received lower quality Italian knives. I'm very ease to please. If you don't want to sell me knife, there's nothing I can do about it, but I think Signore Centa might have something to say. As I said before I would like to buy a Due Buoi Thorn from you when they become available. Let me know what you decide.

Sincerely,

John

How I wish I had photographed the knife you sent me. The scratches were not very tiny and they were easily visible. Not every defect is caught by quality control defective knives sometimes get past over and are shipped. This must have been one of those occasions.
Vittorio made a knife for me and it is 99.999999999999999% perfect.

and

h1942 wrpte: "I hope you don"t thinkyou got a good buy for 80.00.Alway"s buy in country.This makes it easier to get a refund when you are sent crap like this. Sorry just my 2 cents. Hank"

I agree with h1942 aka Hank when he wrote "get a refund when you are sent crap like this."

Now read from the top down to here.

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Wayne Clifton <waykat@mindspring.com> wrote:
John,
Do you want the knife or not? I don't have time to e-mail pictures of a $79 knife for YOUR APPROVAL. I looked the knife over and it looks fine. It's a traditional Italian stiletto, not a forged custom made knife. I've processed your card and I'm ready to ship, today. If you don't want me to ship it, I'll gladly refund your money. I have customers waiting for these knives.
Sincerely,
Wayne

----- Original Message -----
To: Wayne Clifton
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: Due Buoi CLASSIC order

Hello Wayne,
I re-ordered the Classic Due Buoi Stiletto. I used a different credit card. This card was also recently hacked. I hope this goes through without any issues. If the transaction does not go through, I will call my credit card company. My AMEX has not been hacked. I wanted to use that one, but the site does not accept AMEX.
Please inspect the knife before shipping it. If you like, you can photograph the knife showing me that the knife is free of any defects or you can photograph any areas that may be of concern and email them to me for my approval.
A member on the TalkBlade forum limppa, photographed his Classic and display the photos on the website, while he was please with it overall. He did mention several issues with his knife. I considered one issue to be significant. It was liner gap; the gap was large enough to see right through it. He also mentioned other issues. Another one other that I recall was a circle around the pin on the bolster. It looked like the spinner rubbed against the bolster. He photographed all of the issues. You may want to take a look at it. I want to avoid any issues that would cause me to return the knife. I don't mind waiting for one to be made.
Sincerely,
John

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Wayne Clifton <waykat@mindspring.com> wrote:
John,
The knife is in my posession. .

----- Original Message -----
To: Wayne Clifton
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: Due Buoi CLASSIC order

Hello Wayne,
Do you have the knife in your possession? If yes, please inspect the knife for any defects. For example, but not limited to issues such as liner gap, scratched blade, bolsters or scale material and poor fit and finish. If the knife is coming from Italy I will ask Vittotio to inspect the knife. My credit card company will not approve purchases they believe to be fraudulent. My account was recently hacked. In the past they have called me to verify the purchase; I'm surprised they didn't call me to confirm this purchase. I will place another order with a different credit card.
Sincerely,
John

On Thursday, January 17, 2013, Wayne Clifton wrote:
John,
I was unable to process your order. Your card issuer refused the transaction. Please contact your bank so I can process and ship your knife. Let me know when all is ok.
Thanks.
Wayne Clifton
Due Buoi, U.S.A.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Krab-E

Post by Krab-E »

:shock: Wow John, that's terrible! A lesson in how to abuse & loose custom. I wonder if this Clifton character realizes he just shot himself in the foot, 80 bucks mightn't seem like much to him (That's a months food budget for me) but a sale's a sale. & how much time does it take to create & send a photo' in this day & age -5min? (including time to dig out the camera)
I'd been thinking of ordering from him because he's got stock in hand. But after reading this I'm quite happy waiting for Vittorio. I've exchanged plenty emails with him, & the man is an absolute pleasure to deal with.
I'm glad you shared this tale of woe with us so we can all avoid such treatment by shabby merchants. This is why we have the "Good Ones List," no doubt.
I'd rather have a Bottle-in-Front-of-me, than a Frontal-Lobotomy!
DonFannuci

Post by DonFannuci »

This is almost exactly what happened between Chuck Doyle and me as far as the card not working and that horrible attitude of "I've got plenty of customers waiting for knives so do you want it or not?" The arrogance just infuriates me and I've purchased 1 Frank Beltrame from bladeplay.com and two AB/SKM's from sharperdeals.net within the last 18 hours of trying to do business with this guy, spending $440 total, that this guy just lefy on the table because he acts like he's the only game in town. I just can't stand rude and arrogant customer service. Some people just really don't get it and must have certain mental incapacities to act like this and think thst its good business.
On the positive side of things, both bladeplay.com and Gloria from sharperdeals.com have been very pleasant to deal with and I will continue to hand my money to them. And not to sound like an asshole but I'll always be glad to chime in my negative experience with this Chuck Doyle for the simple fact that he's aggravated me to a point of where I honestly want to physically harm this guy if I had the chance, but in reality that won't happen, so I'll do him the next best way and make sure others that have had bad experiences with this guy have another voice behind them.
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

I like the look of that classic 9, great score. :) :)
Belmont800
RJS1966

Post by RJS1966 »

A lot of the issues you have are what I like about Italians in general. I find some flaws/ tool marks to be desirable if not endearing. It shows someone built it by hand. Have any of you ever seen two that are identical in every way? Yes quality varies, but, I like the fact that someone actually swung a hammer on it. I know I am not in the majority. I have ordered my first Due Buoi so soon I will get to appreciate the nuances first hand.
h1942

Post by h1942 »

lamppa wrote:*****Please read this before scrolling to the pics below!****

Got my classic 9 today! Already!!! took 6 days from order.
Dealing with Wayne Clifton was wonderful.

The knife operates perfectly. The safety is stiff but slides smooth, if you know what I mean.
The action is is fast and firm. It locks solid. Very little movement side to side or front to back when open.

Feels solid, well made and is one of the better knives I have owned.
The scales are nice, great detail and texture.

IMG_2837 by lump_digity, on Flickr
IMG_2838 by lump_digity, on Flickr

The butt of the knife is smooth and flush. It feels good.

IMG_2849 by lump_digity, on Flickr

now onto the flaws. I expected some, its only 80.00.
overall I am happy with the knife, its great for the price.
I am, however, picky and looked it over well.

it was kinda sharp, it needed a bit of work.

the biggest thing first.

continued
No knife should leave the shop with any directional movement in any direction when open period. Hank