Is there a Bad Ones list?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
avicci

Is there a Bad Ones list?

Post by avicci »

Does anyone know what happened Uniqueblade.com? I have some knives on order for a couple weeks now (since Sept. 28). I was charged for the knives on Oct. 3 and if they shipped at that time they should have definately been here by now as even USPS usually takes no more than 2 business days from pretty much anywhere in the country in my experience.

When I tried to contact the seller both the website and email address no longer work. I have had no response regarding the status since the original order confirmation. I don't know if this is only a temporary situation and I am not saying I have been ripped off just yet, but this is obviously disturbing. I was only purchasing a couple of cheapies (total order about $80) so my exposure is not *that* great, but I do not want to get ripped off!

Does anyone know anything about this seller? His name is apparently Kevin.

BTW, is there a 'Bad Ones' list somewhere? It seems like this would be helpful as well as the 'Good Ones' list...somewhat akin to a 'Blackballed' list.

Avicci
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not to be a smart ass but there is a little "search" tab on just about every forum or website that I have ever been too. You would be surprised the amount of information that pops up when you enter the name you are looking to find info about. A 2 second search can sometimes reveal much informaton and history. 8)
avicci

Post by avicci »

Whippersnapper, thanks for the suggestion. I did do that but I was unable to find much about this seller or a bad one's list (perhaps I simply didn't use the right seach string). Even so, I wouldn't expect the archives to have info on the sight recently dissappearing (it has certainly been up all summer).

Also, the Good One's list stays at the top of the topics list. I though it might be helpful to suggest something similar for the 'bad guys' in order for forum users to avoid known shady characters.

With that being said, I am not trying to discredit Uniqueblade as I do not know what has actually happened and hense my inquiry. IF I do not eventually get a response or my knives on the other hand I certainly WILL make it known to the forum.

Avicci
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Liability concerns, make a "bad ones" list most unlikely :idea:
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Looks like the site is working now avicci. I know of a few problems people have had with uniqueblade, but not as far as not getting their orders. I think you will get your order. If they did ship 1st class on Oct. 3, I can see it taking that long (Postal holiday yesterday).

An order placed in Sept. without any communication about a delay is a little lax imo though, and enough to tick you off.

I would like a bad ones list myself but I'm not very Politically correct or do I make my living worrying if what I say ticks people off. :wink:
avicci

Post by avicci »

Whippersnapper, you are indeed correct - the site is back online today (must have been technical difficulties or upgrades). I was also able to send an email through successfully this time as well. I'll post an update when I know something...
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Hopefully you get your knives today!
avicci

Post by avicci »

Well, I won't get them today but I *did* get a reply with a delivery confirmation number today so no more worries! :D

I think this whole thing can probably be chaulked up to bad timing (due to the strange coincidence that when I finally decided to follow up on things the site just happened to be down.) It's like they say - timing is everything.

Avicci
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I don't know how they got my email but I just got one from uniqueblades apologizing for their web site being down, and advertising a 10% off sale because of it....
Grim

Post by Grim »

Why would you buy off them in the first place i visited the website and they charge an arm and a leg for a knife.I usually buy from dealers who have good reputations that or i ask around the forums if im buying with unfamiliar dealer.Sorry to hear that your having trouble hope you get your knives
avicci

Post by avicci »

Grim,

Yeah, their prices are a bit high but shipping is free so the difference is not that much (especially on low end stuff). I thought I would try out what appears to be their UTX clone as they are the only ones I found that had a similar product (the picture actually looks like a real microtech). I generally buy from guys on the 'Good Ones' list or the auctions but I was in a funny mood for some low end OTF knives the day I ordered and thought I would give them a shot. (This is my first time ordering something from there.)

BTW now that the site is back up (apparently it was down for some scheduled upgrades) I have been able to contact Kevin running the shop and he has been very responsive, so everything now appears to be in order. I'll let you guys know when I actually get the knives.

Just to reiterate, my intention was not to slam the place but to find out what happened as I was concerned when I tried to contact them and found the site and email addresses unreachable. I feel much better now... :)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Stu's got the UTX clone and a whole lot cheaper (38 bucks and last week they were 10% off-Maybe for the whole month, I'm not sure). Even paying shipping you would save 15 bucks. Not much to you rich guys, but I'm a cheapskate/poor boy :wink:

I took a picture next to the lightning OTF to show size comparison.
Last edited by whippersnapper on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Avicci,

Vagrant is right, a bad ones list is a bad idea. Look at what happens when someone posts about one bad transaction. Next thing we know, the other party is here and there is a big fight going on between them that does not belong on the forum, but privately off-line. I can only imagine what would happen if we published a whole list of "bad ones"....

The good ones list contains enough sellers that you should be able to get just about any production switchblade from one or more of them. If you find a unique piece that you can't get from someone on the list, just ask on the forum if anyone has experience with them.

Jim
avicci

Post by avicci »

Vagrant is right, a bad ones list is a bad idea. Look at what happens when someone posts about one bad transaction. Next thing we know, the other party is here and there is a big fight going on between them that does not belong on the forum, but privately off-line. I can only imagine what would happen if we published a whole list of "bad ones"....
Yes, I see the light now...I withdraw the idea. I guess I didn't think it through enough. It seemed like a good idea at the time but you're right - the flame wars that would result would be downright ugly! Definitely no need for that...
Stu's got the UTX clone and a whole lot cheaper (38 bucks and last week they were 10% off-Maybe for the whole month, I'm not sure). Even paying shipping you would save 15 bucks. Not much to you rich guys, but I'm a cheapskate/poor boy
Well, I'm certainly not rich either. :cry: I guess I jumped the gun when ordering it originally and should have checked Stu's out. (I must admit it was an impulse purchase.) That's one of the problems with the Internet - this sort of thing is waaaaay to easy, especially when inflicted with a bad case of KAS (Knife Acquisition Syndrome)!

Avicci
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

If you see something you like always check if Stu's got it stocked, there's often a decent $20 margin between Him, and other Sellers, and very, very few complains.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php