DueBuoi Forged Stiletto: first impressions

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Milu

DueBuoi Forged Stiletto: first impressions

Post by Milu »

Wahoo!!!!
It's arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First impressions:

It was worth the wait and I think it's a bit of a bargain. Perhaps even a lot of a bargain!

The knife just screams functional tool (aka WEAPON!) This is the one I would have wanted to carry in prohibition Chicago.

The dark horn is sensational with beautiful swirling, Arthas' photos just don't do the piece justice. It feels solid like a tank with almost a Burn like heft to it. It reminds me of the repro four seasons run Faytwo commissioned a couple of ears ago, Visually the blade is a little thinner than I expected but fits the image with a lovely surgical delicacy to it. In reality the blade is about the size of a regular 9" and not undersized at all, it just lives in a no nonsense, ready to fight dinosaurs, hilt. It simply makes all regular production stilettos I'm familiar with seem like tourist trash. Fit and finish is somewhere between good commercial and top end custom, on mine I would say that it is much better than I would expect at this pricepoint. I have paid much more and gotten much less more than once, including from a well known custom maker.

The accoustics are fantastic, I own a vintage button open/button close that sings a similar song but this one seems to hit the notes with more power - sorry I can't express it better than that, you guys will simply have to wait to listen to yours, but I am sure you will love it!

Mechanically it feels very new, it's going to need a break in to smooth it up a hint. The button open/button close mechanism is not a new design but it's very instinctive, strong and makes picklocks and bolster releases seem a little odd in comparison. The wheel safety is perhaps the most controversial feature, it's forward to lock and back to release. I don't have a feel for it and I'm never sure if it's on or not, I am sure this will improve a lot with break-in and even more with FAMILIARITY. I don't use safeties as a rule and this one seems really different to me, a point of colour as a visual aid may also help here.

The blade is quality and has an edge. Is it sharp enough is a very subjective question for a stiletto, it certainly passed my usual paperslicing test which is more than good enough for a stiletto, especially one that won't be a user (even if it cries out to be used, the blade geometry looks excellent and I think the production ones could be phenomenal users that will just keep cutting). My impression is the blade could very easily be taken to scary sharp, might be fun but wouldn't be practical for a user and pointless on a display piece.

Niggles? There is a trace of blade play side to side, but it's not enough to worry about.

Overall conclusion: It's a fantastic knife, the kind stiletto lovers dream about. I hope it has the success it deserves in the market place.
Last edited by Milu on Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Milu

Post by Milu »

I'm a useless photographer but here's my effort:

j.a.c.

Post by j.a.c. »

8)
looks like they did a great job.

looking down on the knife gives it a totally different look , the side views posted on the proto made it look a little boxy.
Can see know that it sleek and has a very nice style.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

Great to hear such an enthusiastic review. Hope mine looks that good. Wondering when the U.S. knives will arrive.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hi!
tr4252 wrote:Great to hear such an enthusiastic review. Hope mine looks that good. Wondering when the U.S. knives will arrive.
We're nearly ready to ship... ;)

M.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Now that is my kind of nice dark horn! Looks great! 8)
gunner

Post by gunner »

I love the looks of that knife!! Glad to hear they have an actual edge...I'm sick of letter openers. I'm going to order one in stag as soon as they hit auctions so that I can get a look at the actual piece I am getting as well as a description on lock-up. I hate blade play enough to not keep anything no matter how pretty or heavy-duty if the blade wobbles, it's the first thing I check. I was expecting these DueBuoi knives to be as rock solid as they looked. Hopefully when they come out there will be a solid piece here and there. Thanks for your honest review Milu. And also, do these knives have any factory packaging at all?
Milu

Post by Milu »

Mine came tightly bubblewrapped with some Due Buoi leaflets for company. I've just played with again and I can't help but note again just how solid it feels.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Milu,

Thanks for the review, can't wait for mine (also in dark horn)

Jim
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Nice looking knife and they chose some nice horn. I may be in the market for one when in production. Thanks for the detailed review Milu.
butch

Post by butch »

looks pretty cool. 8)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Thanks for the review!

Now I really have a case of Whereisits, and just when I had recovered for the Gottahaveits.
chopsueyluey

Post by chopsueyluey »

Any update on an arrival time for USA? I wanted to convince my wife it was a valentines day gift from her to me and that aint gonna happen now. Maybe a Saint Paddys day gift?

David
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

chopsueyluey wrote:Any update on an arrival time for USA? I wanted to convince my wife it was a valentines day gift from her to me and that aint gonna happen now. Maybe a Saint Paddys day gift?

David
They're nearly there...

M.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I won't buy any knife that isn't assembled with SCREWS. :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."