German Bonsa OTF gravity knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Monkeyleg

German Bonsa OTF gravity knives

Post by Monkeyleg »

Over on the SD auction is one of the German Bonsa chrome plated OTF gravity knives. I've only seen them for sale once on assistedknife.com, and the price wasn't cheap. The only other place I've seen them is on Bill DeShiv's site, and on the Latama site, although they were already sold there, so no price was given.

The description of it makes it sound like it's just about perfect, so I would imagine it's going to go for top dollar. Problem is, I don't know what the value is.

Further, if I were to buy this, I wouldn't have the money to get the Picklock Pat knife I've been planning to get.

So, I have two questions. First, what would be a fair price for the Bonsa? Second, which would be more collectible in the long run, the Bonsa or a Picklock Pat knife?

Thanks for any replies.
Knifeguy420

Re: German Bonsa OTF gravity knives

Post by Knifeguy420 »

Not surewhat the value of a bonsa is but its gone now i hope you got it if you wanted it! But those picklokpat knives are real masterpeices id take one of his knives instead!!! :D if ya didnt win that bonsa on SD then assistedknife has one left at the same price the one on SD went for.
' Snitches get stitches '
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

Well, $395. That's a lot of dough for a gravity knife, but I've been holding off on buying similar OTF gravity knives--the gold anodized finish ones, etc--because I think these chrome ones are really cool, with an antique look about them.

Just how collectible are those knives?

Picklock Pat said last week he'd send me photos of some horn scale samples to choose from. If it takes this long to send some photos, I figure I'll get the knife next year. ;)
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

One can see a German gravity knife at gun/knife shows far more often than a custom made Picklock Pat knife :idea:
For me there would no question the Pat Havlin is far more valuable and desirable.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

If it takes this long to send some photos, I figure I'll get the knife next year.
I'm sure he's busy but once things get decided on he is fast. At least from what I have seen.

And I think you will me much happier with one of Pat's customs than one of those Bonzas.
redeye

Post by redeye »

cant go wrong with a PLP knife I have one and I love it
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

You are not comparing like items here so it is hard to answer. The Bonsa OTFs are spring opening and gravity closing of sorts. They use to go for $100 years back, but as with the Rizzys they can sell for what anyone will pay for them. I would say $200 is a more at this point in time a price seeing as how many older Italians have decreased in value, but to me the Bonsa is a better made knife than the Rizzys and the OTF that recently went for over $500 so who knows what is fair. The Picklock Pat models are far above this knife in every way, so if you could only get one then the PLP seems to win the race....
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Tom19176 wrote:The Picklock Pat models are far above this knife in every way, so if you could only get one then the PLP seems to win the race....
Well said Tom. I see this as comparing a 1969 Trabant to a Rolls Royce.
(to be fair I used a pic of 69' Trabant and 69' Rolls 8)
Attachments
1969 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Sedan.jpg
1969 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow Sedan.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
Trabant.jpg
Trabant.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Tom19176 wrote:The Bonsa OTFs are spring opening and gravity closing of sorts.
I know the Bonsas you're thinking of Tom, but I believe the OP is actually referring to the "all gravity, no spring" otfs, like this one...

Ken's pic btw, hope he doesn't mind me borrowing it for this post.

Monkeyleg, if the knife you are talking about is the one in the pic above, then I can tell you they aren't as rare as you seem to let on. Careful not to overpay if you do decide to get one ($395 is WAAAY WAAAAAAYY out there IMO :wink: ). I think not all of these were stamped Bonsa, so maybe the stamp increases the value on this type of gravity knife??? I dunno.

I've never handled a PLP custom before, but if they live up to all that people say then I agree with above, you should def spring for that instead.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

BT- Bonsa never marketed that gravity knife. It was an Anton Wingen design.
The 4 on the bottom right are Bonsa OTFs.

Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

It wasn't the waffle pattern knife, but the one that Bill pointed out. In fact, here's a better photo from his site. ;) The one that sold is the top one in Bill's photo.

Anytime I've seen one sell, it's around $400. If I could find one for $200 I'd buy it in a split second.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Oops sorry Tom and Monkey, my bad...I was led astray by an auction on SD I thought you saw. Don't mind me :) The trapdoor Bonsa obviously does have a spring, and is more of a rarity. I did think it strange that one of those gravity knives would have a "Bonsa" stamp...makes sense now, none of them do :lol: .

Thanks for the correction Bill :!: That is quite an impressive collection of otfs in that pic by the way.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Monkeyleg

Post by Monkeyleg »

That is quite an impressive collection of otfs in that pic by the way.
I'm particularly impressed by Bill's neatly organized display case. :lol:
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Havlin --
Belmont800
niceguy2

Post by niceguy2 »

i just picked one up .....for about what it`d cost for dinner for two and a movie :D
Last edited by niceguy2 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.