Why is there 'junk' in the World?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
bigfifty

Why is there 'junk' in the World?

Post by bigfifty »

Your talking of quality, reminded me, once more, of parallels throughout our lives ( hang in, I lighten up ). The finest bolt action, for a firearm, ever designed is the Mauser Model 1898. And it can be sucessfully argued that its record for safety and relability of design has not been surpassed, and equalled by very few others. Oh, rifles with 'modern designed' actions are made and marketed everyday that are cheaper to produce ( the main theme it seems in the reason for their existance ). But never with the same carefull thought and research that went into the original. So it is with these Chinese knockoff knives. Just make it cheaper! Make it just good enough to get by. But that is a lie.... and the older you get, the more you see of them and the more you hate them! A bit simple perhaps, but I wish the hucsters and frauds would GO AWAY and TAKE THEIR JUNK WITH THEM. Your thought for the day. Take care. Bigfifty.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Why is there "junk" in the world?

Well..... not everything that's cheap is by definition "junk"......and not everyone can afford (or even wants) the best quality.... sometimes value-for-money is more important.

As an example.... I recently aquired an MT LCC clone .... and considering the price (about one tenth that of the genuine article) it represents fantastic value for money .... there's no way the MT is ten times better than the clone........ I believe quite a few people also buy a clone to try and get the feel of the original ..........the old argument about price versus quality versus value for money will never go away......

Best wishes
Teddy
Gonzo_Beyondo

Post by Gonzo_Beyondo »

yes, i'd agree with Teddy.

It's nice to "get the feel"...
or have some junk to practice fileworking on, or inlays...
or just to have a "beater" knife that you can pry rocks outta your tires with, while you'd be hesitant to use a handground Halo blade to do the same.

It's also a matter of collecting, personally i can't afford every knife i like... but clones sorta "tide me over" till i can. I don't think of them as the "real thing" but they are still "real" knives... some of em pretty decent, and for the money usually worth owning. -Not a substitute- but any man who can be considered smart enough to own a knife, would already know that there is a difference.

If they don't... because you own both a clone and the real deal, you can hand him BOTH!
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Why is there junk? Because most people are idiots and buy junk. Why do people buy junk? Because shit floats.
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

J-man wrote:Why is there junk? Because most people are idiots and buy junk. Why do people buy junk? Because shit floats.
I sure hope you're wearin' bullet-proof underwear Mr. J-man..... :shock:

Best wishes
Teddy
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I agree with what the other guys said; I bought a new Fender Stratocaster some time ago (I won't say when), and it was so perfect I almost hated to play it. I ended up buying an old beat up one just so I could have a "player" and not mess up the new instrument. They were close enough alike that the new guitar stayed in the case except for recording, and was in mint condition when I finally sold it. Actually, I've still got the other one.

Now I run a tool & die shop in a factory, and I can testify that most companies feel that you cannot produce a product inexpensively enough; the bottom line keeps getting lower all the time. With Lean Manufacturing, ISO, and Kaizen, etc. much of my time is spent cutting costs. If this is done right, everybody benefits. If it's done by idiots, junk happens. There is a surplus of idiots, no worries there.

An inexpensive knife has more utility than a costly one, if your intent is to use it, because when you use things, they wear out. Hell, I'm worn out. I must be inexpensive.

TR
Last edited by tr4252 on Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

Mr. tr

I have a Japanese (Fender...not Squire) Strat that ....according to the experts on these matters (and judging by the examples in the shop I have to agree).... is of even higher quality than the ones being made in the U.S.A. ....but only a third of the price .... sometimes it seems you don't get what you pay for....

Best wishes
Teddy
missaman

Post by missaman »

J-man wrote:Why is there junk? Because most people are idiots and buy junk. Why do people buy junk? Because shit floats.
mine doesn't most of the time :roll:
can't speak for the dog.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Ah, we are once again entertained and enlightened by the infinite sagacity of the Joint-man...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
J-man
Supreme ruler of Bali-island!

Post by J-man »

Jezz guys, I didn't mean *MY* shit floats. Most People will buy whatever is the cheapest. Can't anybody put two and two together.
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

I agree with Teddy, the MT LCC clone, in particular, is an excellent knife for the price. I'd never use my real LCC for anything that would cause it to lose it's NIB status. :D
Warning to Fishermen! The LCC clone is quite heavy! Don't fall overboard with one in your pocket - you'll sink like a rock. :shock:
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Shiver

Post by Shiver »

Falcon; what you said is true, but if a shark should attack before you drown, you're in luck!
Last edited by Shiver on Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfifty

Junk

Post by bigfifty »

Well said gentlemen. Point taken. Have a good one and take care. Bigfifty
Stone Knife

Post by Stone Knife »

Hilarious! Bravo! <<APPLAUSE>>> :lol:
Mors Profundis

Post by Mors Profundis »

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
I like cheap knives, because when I break one, lose it or it gets stolen, I don't feel so bad.
Life has no value, but death has it's price