Question about a Latama picklock my antique shop found

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mario

Question about a Latama picklock my antique shop found

Post by Mario »

I was in my local antique mall earlier today. The lady who works there showed me a switchblade her dad found. It was an old Latama picklock. I believe it was a 9”, had some kind of horn handle, and is probably from the 1950s. She looked it up and saw how much they go for and knew they had found a gem. There was a problem with it however. It was in almost perfect condition but the blade wouldn’t close. At first I was thinking the seer pin was worn and it would need sent to a professional to be fixed. She then told me that button is stuck like there’s something inside the handle blocking it from moving. The safety was stuck too. It was in the down position and it barely moved up at all. I tried pressing on the button and it felt like there was definitely something hard inside blocking it. The button looked like it was stuck in the pressed in position. I figured I’d ask you guys what the issue might be. I suggested they could try soaking the knife in some mineral oil and see if that dislodges whatever blockage is in the handle.
Killgar

Re: Question about a Latama picklock my antique shop found

Post by Killgar »

Sounds like maybe the rocker has gotten jammed inside the cavity in the handle. Maybe the cavity wasn't cut with enough clearance, or maybe the horn has shrunk, or both.

I would have recommended they contact Bill DeShivs about a repair. Best to leave such things (vintage Latama's) to a professional.

I hope they aren't charging "gem" prices for a switchblade that can't be closed or fired. A switchblade that can't be closed or fired isn't really a switchblade. Not yet anyways.

This thread needs pics :D .

Avatar- Ti-Lite Auto Conversion. Video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79nia-_DzU

My youtube knife channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSYCK ... 3s5HNcsL5A

Stiletto switchblade parts for sale- blades, bolsters, sears, rockers/buttons
Mario

Post by Mario »

Next time I go in, I’ll ask her to show it to me again so I can take some pics. She hasn’t put the knife out on sale yet. She wanted to see if they could fix it first before selling it. If nothing else, maybe I’ll make an offer to her to buy it as is at a discount price of $75 or $100. I could then send it to Bill to have him fix it.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You do know how to close a picklock, don't you?
If it won't stay closed, that will be an expensive repair, as the knife has to be disassembled, repaired and reassembled.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Mario

Post by Mario »

Bill DeShivs wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:49 am You do know how to close a picklock, don't you?
If it won't stay closed, that will be an expensive repair, as the knife has to be disassembled, repaired and reassembled.
Yes I know how to close a picklock. I have one in my collection. The problem is that it wouldn’t stay closed. The button appeared to be stuck in the pressed down position.
TMD

Post by TMD »

Mario
I think you should rescue it, even though it would be expensive to make it work. As you said it was in otherwise nice condition,

TMD
Mario

Post by Mario »

So I went in and bought the knife today. The lady said it would be worth $275 in working order, but I made her an offer of $80 to buy it as is and she accepted my offer. As soon as I got it home I soaked it in some vegetable oil. That didn’t appear to loosen it up at all. I’ve attached some pics here. If it’s going to be fixed I want to send it to someone who can do it professionally. I would try to take it apart and work on it myself, but the last time I tried working on an old knife (this was an Imperial candy stripe) I fucked up the handles and my repair was a bust.
Attachments
IMG_2608-compressed.jpeg
IMG_2608-compressed.jpeg (193.79 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
IMG_2607-compressed.jpeg
IMG_2607-compressed.jpeg (167.09 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
IMG_2606-compressed.jpeg
IMG_2606-compressed.jpeg (189.16 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Mario

Post by Mario »

Holy crap! You guys aren’t going to believe this but I got it working. After oiling it up and trying to stick a bent paper clip up inside the handle, I fiddled with the safety a bunch and got it up into the locked position which pushed the button up! I closed it and it locked shut. The button works to open it, but you have to fiddle with the safety again to get the button to go back up so the seer can engage the seer hole in the blade and lock it shut. I thought this was going to be an expensive repair but I guess the oil I soaked it in just needed a little time to do its work. Woohoo!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Your button return spring is broken.
The vegetable oil you soaked the knife in will thicken and go rancid. Buy a can of WD 40 and use it to blow out as much of the oil as you can.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Mario

Post by Mario »

I got some WD40 so it won’t be a problem. I really don’t have the money to send it for repair right now. The knife is going in my display cabinet where it will be stored open. It’s not one I plan to carry.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

It's Italian. You should have used extra virgin olive oil...lol
Mario

Post by Mario »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm It's Italian. You should have used extra virgin olive oil...lol
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I blasted the vegetable oil out with some WD40.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

whippersnapper wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:32 pm It's Italian. You should have used extra virgin olive oil...lol
In these cases, some Balsamic Vinegar needs to be included in the soak. Then flush over a bed of greens.... :mrgreen:

That is a pretty knife. A deal for $80 too!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Geez, a nice vintage Latama for $80. I’ve stepped in crap before, but never that lucky! Good deal!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Mario

Post by Mario »

JulesVane wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:13 pm Geez, a nice vintage Latama for $80. I’ve stepped in crap before, but never that lucky! Good deal!
I was even luckier at the beginning of the year when I managed to get an 11” Rosco picklock in a pawn shop for $40! I’ve been on a winning streak lately getting bargain deals on picklocks.