Rizzuto Estileto but no Milano?

Post here pictures of your knives and blades! All images should be on an external web site, and linked to messages.

Moderators: tr4252, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mykniveSSuck82

Rizzuto Estileto but no Milano?

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Just got a new knife. Picked it up for fairly cheap but I’ve never seen one that just says Rizzuto Estileto but no Milano? Lol can anyone tell me anything about the lack of Milano stamp on the blade... did they run out of room ?

Last edited by mykniveSSuck82 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Re: Rizzuto Estileto but no Milano?

Post by JulesVane »

lol...That IS interesting. JimBrown257 ought to chime in on this one eventually. He knows the Rizzutos inside and out (literally).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have seen a few with the Rizzuto Estiletto but no Milano stamp. That might be the only 9" one I've seen with just the RE stamp. The others were all either 11" or 8" (which is the most rare size).

There is a wide variety of stamps on those. Some stay Rissuto or Missuto. Some stay Stiletto Italiano. The most common of the rare variations is Estileto Milano Rizzuto (instead of Rizzuto Estiletto Milano). The most rare of the rare variations, based on what I have seen, is Stainless Steel across the blade with no stamp on the tang. I've only seen one of those.

I actually started a thread on SD trying to compile as many Rizzuto variations as I could. I got a lot of pics but the thread eventually got buried and forgotten about.

And that one in the OP is one of the more sturdy ones (compared to the other Rizzutos, I mean). It has a steel rocker and the better scales that aren't so prone to warping. Also, on those ones, it seems like the bolsters were done with more care because they aren't broken off the solder as much. Does it have the square sear? If you open the blade half way, you can see the sear hole. Is it square or round?
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

It is the round version... it’s in pretty good condition considering... just some rubbing on the blade from the swinguard opening and closing. Works like a champ too, snaps open quickly!
Last edited by mykniveSSuck82 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Any chance of dating the knife for me? Store I bought it from said it’s from the 60’s any truth in that? This is my first Rizzuto I’ve ever owned or could afford. For $40 bucks I feel it was a steal!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's probably from the mid 60s. There is no real history of these things. People "remember" getting them before that but people memories aren't very reliable, especially when they are in the form of sales descriptions. They did start showing up in movies in the mid 60s so I would guess that is when they were first made.

Your's being a better one would make me believe it was an earlier one. It seems like the kind of product that would have started out better and gotten worse over time.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Wow thank you so much! Seems crazy to me that there isn’t an encyclopedia on these things out there somewhere! Am I right in thinking that all Rizzutos are from Japan or is it possible that some of these early ones might actually be Italian? Someone needs to Wikipedia these knives!! I’m just so glad someone knows something about these... you should consider writing a book. I’d buy it!
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Rizzutos were always Japanese. There are no Italian quality Rizzutos.

And the name "Rizzuto Estileto Milano" doesn't sound Italian. It sounds like an Asian company trying too hard to sound Italian. Like if something is called "Super all-American A+ John Wayne Yankees #1", it sounds like a Chinese company trying too hard to sound American.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

yeah I kinda figured... I think if anything it sounds Spanish...
Last edited by mykniveSSuck82 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Anyways... is there any good info out there on how to do maintenance on these knives? My blade is peaking quite a bit when it’s closed up.... is there a simple fix or best to just leave it be? I’ve noticed that a lot of people’s rizzuto blade points seem to peak out when they’re locked up. I guess mine isn’t that bad but still... if there is some sort of simple fix I am all ears.
JayK

Post by JayK »

JimBrown257 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:37 am It's probably from the mid 60s. There is no real history of these things. People "remember" getting them before that but people memories aren't very reliable, especially when they are in the form of sales descriptions. They did start showing up in movies in the mid 60s so I would guess that is when they were first made.

Your's being a better one would make me believe it was an earlier one. It seems like the kind of product that would have started out better and gotten worse over time.
Maybe the wrong forum but if we are getting date estimates and country of origin guesses Id appreciate opinions from the local Rizzy experts on this one thanks in advance
1 rizutto open.jpg
1 rizutto open.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
1 riizzuto stamp.jpg
1 riizzuto stamp.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Myknivessuck- so do your pictures!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Well, they are rizzutos.
2024 candidate for president
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Well they are old pictures from a year old post...lol