Ceramic knives

This is a forum for discussion on professional kitchen knives and accessories. This forum is sponsored by Due Buoi.

Moderators: natcherly, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
catavengercaptain

Ceramic knives

Post by catavengercaptain »

Thought I would make a new topic here since there hasn'nt been one in 5 months. Has anyone tried one of these Yoshi knives? https://www.yoshibladeknife.com I was just wondering if they are any good? :?:
Milu

Re: Ceramic knives

Post by Milu »

Not tried the Yoshi but I have tried the latest generation Kyocera and I'm not as impressed as I should be after all the hype. I was expecting a kitchen razor that held an edge. What I got was a reasonably sharp kitchen knife that was fragile. I would stick to carbon steel. Another downer is sharpening, the kind of edge I like is way too delicate in ceramic and even if the hype says they go forever and a day before needing to be sharpened I am not convinced and they are a pain to sharpen whether you do it yourself or have it done professionally (A cutler I know charges triple because of the extra wear on his kit) What I found best was honing on a piece of old saddle leather to polish the edge, if you do it from new they seem to gain a sharper edge.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

You confirmed ny suspecions that, ceramic is too brittle to take a true razor edge.
And saved me $$$ from finding out for myself :wink:
I also assume if you drop one you own two or three ;]
Milu

Post by Milu »

You've got it in one. I learned the hardway. You don't put them in the drawer with steel lnive either. Max sharp is still an obsidian blade which is what certain scalpels are made with. I'm sure I've seen obsidian blades on daggers posted here and I'll bet they're also brittle.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
catavengercaptain

Post by catavengercaptain »

Thx I was wondering about them being brittle.
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

I've got two of the Kyocera knives. They cut well, but haven't been what I am looking for. I was told to expect 'em to cut anything they touch, including *me* to the bone... but they're not to that level.

If you want, Vagrant, I can send you my spare for a while if you wanna try it. I about halfass stole 'em from a previous roomate along with a pair of boots (that I've worn completely out) and some six hundred rounds of 5.7X28... But he run off with my girlfriend, and abandoned those items here.... so he's lucky I only kep 'em and didn't opt for the backhoe option.

If the saddle leather works good, order a George Genovezos strop and put diamond strop paste on it. That should had oughtta give you an edge. The heel of your hand makes a good ersatz strop too, but prolly not for ceramic.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

I think the comments satisfied my curiousity about ceramics.
I've tried flint-napping a couple times and there are LOTS of things I do better !
[I can make a pile of sharp little chips] :lol:
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

My granddad does the whole bit with obsidian... but he does it thre lazy way: he cuts it to shape with a diamond saw, then knaps the edge. Sure makes funny looking arrow heads.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
SpriteMakesMeShit

Post by SpriteMakesMeShit »

We use them at the taco bell I work. Cut good but don't drop on the tile floor or they crack. I got writ up for breaking one.
jmack1944

Post by jmack1944 »

Just ordered a couple ceramic folders. Curious to see what all the hype is about. Apparently they hold an edge ten times longer than steel. A customer of mine wanted them so that's why I ordered them. Anybody ever had a ceramic folder here on the forum? They are called 'ceramic' but apparently the blades are actually 'zirconium oxide'. What ever the hell that is.
missaman

Post by missaman »

I purchased a ceramic knife at harbor crap tools NO comlaints in da' kitchen I thought 6 bucks was a very fair price. I have not abused it But Its all good inna' da hood I would purchase more. For medium duty kitchen use. :idea:
Missa
Frank

Post by Frank »

jmack1944 wrote:Just ordered a couple ceramic folders. Curious to see what all the hype is about. Apparently they hold an edge ten times longer than steel. A customer of mine wanted them so that's why I ordered them. Anybody ever had a ceramic folder here on the forum? They are called 'ceramic' but apparently the blades are actually 'zirconium oxide'. What ever the hell that is.
It's the same stuff they make fake "diamonds" out of, Cubic Zirconia.

VBR,

Frank
Don't blame me, I voted for Alice Cooper.
Christian

Post by Christian »

CERAMIC FOLDING KNIFE
There some increased hardness in a black ceramic knife blade but in reality the white blade is already so hard that this increase makes very little difference in terms of the ability to retain an edge. The only real reason, in my opinion, to purchase a black ceramic folding pocket knife is one of appearance. It just feels strange using a knife with a white blade that you can almost see through. The black blade on a ceramic pocket knife gives a much more traditional appearance & darn it, just plain looks better! The black blades are however, more expensive to produce, as they have to go through a secondary Hot Isostatic Process where pressure and extremely high temperatures physically change the blade from white to black and increase density & hardness. Keep in mind that increased hardness does also increase brittleness so a white ceramic bladed knife might actually be tougher in some applications as it would be more resistant to chipping.
Thorvelm

Ceramic knives

Post by Thorvelm »

I dont recall hearing anything about not using ceramic blades on tomatoes, and we have been doing so for years with apparently no ill effects. Were ALWAYS careful to use only on a cutting board usually the nylon kind, and then we hand-wash only usually pretty soon after using the knife. After I snapped off the tip probably about 1/8" of our ceramic paring knife when I hit a bone, Im even more careful of what and how I cut with them.

The ceramic blades we use the most are name-brand Kyocera knives, and my personal favorite is a knife with a blade which is a little over 5 inches.
James0612

Post by James0612 »

Hello everybody.
Thank you for such a useful topic. Thanks to such forums I know where to buy most needed home appliances, especially as kitchen knives. I advise everyone to read the reviews before buying and you will not lose money