Best OTF Knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Nameless

Best OTF Knives

Post by Nameless »

I wanted to put this section up for everyone that owns automatic OTF knives (Out of The Front).
I have collected many through the years and have put many through some tough tests. I have my favorites and would like to share my thoughts and opinions on some of the OTF's that have been made in the past and others available right now. There are two basic types of auto OTF''s, Double action (firing the blade out, then back in with a push of a button) and Single action (fires the blade out with a button but then the blade must be manually reloaded before firing again).
The price tag for very high end OTF's can cost thousands but I find some of these custom knives are just not worth the money. You can buy others for as low as $20 but these are nothing more then novelty items that will not last long. Great double action auto OTF's with 154cm blades and internals to match, can be found in the price range of $300-$500.
A great place to start would be with the Piranha Excalibur OTF. This is one of the finest made OTF knives on the market today and is worth a spot on the top (in the class of the Sandshark, and that's saying something). There are other great OTF's that we will talk about that also share in the top 10 but because there is some great images and videos on the Piranha right now, why not start here. One video shows the knife being hammered into a block of wood with no damage to the body, blade or most importantly to the firing mechanism.
I own two Piranha Excalibur's, both tactical blacked-out versions. The only difference is one has a partly serrated blade (my fav). I have a Desert Knife Works Sandshark in my collection and have to tell you, when you hold both in each hand, the first thing you ask yourself is how similar these knives are. For anyone not familiar with the Sandshark, it is simply a legend as one of the toughest made OTF knives ever made but lets talk about that another time, since it is no longer made and is easier to find a dragons tooth then to get one these days.
I will leave it here for a bit, but please leave any questions or please post other OTF's you own, like or out right, hate.
Have a great one.
Attachments
piranhablackout.jpg
piranhablackout.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 54051 times
Last edited by Nameless on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

I have also started making Damascus blades for the Piranha and Protechs.
The picture shows one of my Piranha's with a blank billet of Damascus Steel and a partly completed Damascus dual tipped blade I have been working on this week. Note the "H" end and center groove of the Damascus blade, this is how the inside of the blade is held to the firing mechanism on the Piranha... very well made and a lot of time & work is invested into making these Damascus blades.
Sorry about the poor picture but I will post again when I finish this blade for the Piranha and others later. Please let me know what you think of the double tip Damascus Blade and if you are interested in Damascus blades for one of your knives. (Please note I still have many hours of work left before this dual tipped blade is fully complete, just wanted to show one of the rough stages before it is checked for tolerances , polished & finished to show the different color multilayer metal in the blade ). I just thought something different on a great OTF would be worth all the work.
Have a great one!
Last edited by Nameless on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunner

Post by gunner »

I've had my eyes on the Piranha Excalibur ever since they came out. I remember Josh over at PVK making a video of one getting hammered into spruce lumber. I like the new hard-coat colorful versions that popped up at BladeHQ. Very cool indeed. The only thing I don't like about D/A OTFs is blade wobble...I know Microtechs have it. The new Benchmade apparently has less, but still some. Do the Excaliburs wiggle? I saw a custom once that locked up like a vault (looked like a Harkins) but of course, it cost a fortune. I would have to wait for retirement for one of those.

ImageImageImage
Nameless

Wiggle or Play is 0

Post by Nameless »

?L:L::::::
Last edited by Nameless on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saikuri

Post by Saikuri »

I haven't found many Folks Who consider the Piranha beyound the similarly priced BM Infidel, what would be your thoughts on that?.
You Republican's better keep up!: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
Nameless

Benchmade Infidel

Post by Nameless »

Hello Saikuri,
I have been waiting to receive my Benchmade Infidel. I must say the knife looks the part and I really like most Benchmade knives, a few models I do not.
I'm willing to bet that the Infidel is going to be right up on the top list. Of course looks do not count on how well built a knife is but if we go on the reputation of Benchmade, then I expect a very well made knife (It is really a nice looking knife). I own & use "working" Benchmade knives and I find the knives well made. ( I have broken the tip off one blade, testing it on a throwing trial, it hit a drywall screw in the wood when we were testing how well the knife frame/body would hold up after 25 hard throws. We did not mean this as part of the testing) This test is very hard on any knife, since not all throws end up sticking into the wood (we can't find any ninjas to help us make every throw :) ). Some throws slam body first but we find this to be an important part of this test (I like to see 3-7 "off blade" hits to make a good test on a "work" knife) and you can see how well something has to be made not to brake.
The very tip (about 1/8 inch) of the blade, was actually stuck into the top hex of the screw. The blade was AUS-8 but to be fair, many metals, most metals, especially the tips, would have broken off.
I just brought this up because it was funny at the time that it hit the damn screw on a test board of 4x4. Bottom line, the Benchmade frame held up to the full test.
I will Post as soon as I receive my Benchmade Infidel and open it to see how the firing mechanism is set up, how much "wiggle"/play there is in blade lock-out and how the overall knife is made.
I hope this helped and please let me know what you think or if you happen to get one.
Have a great one!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nice to see some posts on OTF comparisons -

Owning both and comparing side by side the Pirahna Excalibur and the Benchmade Infidel, I would have to give the nod to the Benchmade knife.

Although it's always going to be subjective, I think the Infidel is better looking and feels more solid in the hand IMHO. Blade play on both is detectable, although slight. My Excalibur has slightly more wobble than the Infidel here. Infidel is considerably heavier as well.

I would have to disagree (respectfully) with Mr Nameless about the Excalibur being in the same league as the DKW Sandshark. Nothing like as well built, again IMHO.
The Sandshark is a peerless OTF and the only other I would put against it which is in the same league would be the custom Harkins Triton model. NOT the MOD version! I handled one of Jeff's knives at a show once and was very impressed although I personally feel the action would best be described as "smooth" as opposed to the slam of a Sandshark or any of my MT OTF's.

I like the Pirahna but it's nothing like as heavy as a Sandshark - admittedly it's a smaller knife, but it doesn't purvey the same solidity as my Sandsharks do.

The new OTF's from BURN should prove very interesting - he makes about the best side opening auto's on the planet so if his OTF's are to the same standard they'll be something special. "Break the bank" expensive but special :D

Interesting to see how that damascus blade works out, Mr Nameless - keep us informed!

All the best,

Howard
I don't suffer from insanity - I ENJOY it!
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

Thank you for Posting Harry,
I also agree with some points you made. My DKW Sandshark is the best OTF (my fav anyway) and Number 1, but I just wanted to try and focus on other, more recent knives not just the Excalibur either. I think I have talked about my own DKWS so much I need a little change up.
When I was placing the Excalibur with the DWS, I was trying to let others know you can get a very good knife without selling off your first born :) . Plus I wanted to stir up a nice amount of feedback, I must admit.
I received my Infidel today and I'm impressed. Right at this point I would put the Infidel at a dead heat with my Piranha but who knows in a week. I find the "play" to be just the opposite from you though, finding just a hair more play in the Infidel but just barely.
My next buy will be another Microtech I have been eying, it is simply beautiful, let me know what you think:
Have a great day!
Attachments
damascusdescarab.jpg
damascusdescarab.jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 52843 times
mmasters

Post by mmasters »

IMO the sandshark, harkins custom and microtech scarab are the best otfs. Sandshark the toughest; harkins the sweetest; scarab the most practical.

I'm interested too how burn's otfs turn out!

I've promised myself to get a 11" black beauty sideopener from him one of these days. :)

How is the feel and action on your burn sideopener harry?
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

This is a great thread which I am enjoying reading, I'd love to have some otf's but frankly they are out of my price range. I question why this is :? :? .......look at the Pirahna, nice knife.and at the cheaper end of the scale.but why is it $400....aluminum body, good steel for the blade but there is not a great deal of mechanics in it. folks speak about "tolerances" but heck once you have the setting for the lathe or the milling machine you can just churn out the pieces, even the assembly isn't the same as putting a watch together.
Mr.Nameless
I'm glad that you like taking knives apart :D ..I do myself, I'd love to hear of the differences. I've heard that Michrotechs are pretty nifty, and hard to re-assemble. I do think that like many knives out there .....a heck of a lot of the price is profit for the maker :wink:
Harry

Post by Harry »

How is the feel and action on your burn sideopener harry?
I have 2 sideopening auto's from BURN. A picklock and a liner lock.

Both are as good as it gets in the switchblade world. Built without compromise or regard to cost which, yes, is considerable but these are handmade works of steel art. Holding and firing one of Paul Panak's knives is an experience you'll never forget.

The other maker who really deserves a mention is Picklokpat, aka Pat Havlin. I have some of his pieces also and they are also amazing. Nobody builds an "old school" picklock like Pat!!

Mr Nameless - that Scarab is sweet!! Love the damascus on that example.

All the best,

Howard
I don't suffer from insanity - I ENJOY it!
Nameless

Impressive!

Post by Nameless »

Those must have set you back a little! I have always been a fan of small details and I must say the matching Damascus bolsters and button are breath taking. Are the scales based on blue giraffe bone or the bark ivory, I guessing bone? You have great taste in Damascus, your knives are proof of that.
One of my favorite Damascus Blade artist is Eggerling, One blade in particular is on a custom Pro-Tech, Click here: http://www.protechknives.com/showImage. ... oductID=29
I would like to own that style Damascus blade one day.
Thank you for showing your fine knives!
mmasters

Post by mmasters »

Wow.

One of these days if I ever get a bonus I will buy one hopefully as beautiful as one of those. :)
Chuck

OTF`s

Post by Chuck »

OMG.....I Agree....
That One piece that Harry showed with matching Bolsters & button...is all you need....You might as well just stop now....that is one that would be Very hard to beat! Burn knows his business !!! Not to take away from Pat or any others.... As for the D/A OTFs (still in production)
If it comes down to Excaliburs & Infidels.....They both are Impressive in their own ways. Infidels are Bigger,Thinner(which I like),& asthetically better.....I especially like the step button & rear pocket clip. That being said....The Excaliburs that have come through my site have all been a little quicker than the Infidels & the Mirror Polished Blades are great.I will also mention that the design on the handles seem a bit derivative of Robbie Daltons designs. I guess its a matter of taste......
Why not get one of each ? LOL !!!!
Chuck :D
Nameless

Post by Nameless »

jorvik wrote:This is a great thread which I am enjoying reading, I'd love to have some otf's but frankly they are out of my price range. I question why this is :? :? .......look at the Pirahna, nice knife.and at the cheaper end of the scale.but why is it $400....aluminum body, good steel for the blade but there is not a great deal of mechanics in it. folks speak about "tolerances" but heck once you have the setting for the lathe or the milling machine you can just churn out the pieces, even the assembly isn't the same as putting a watch together.
Mr.Nameless
I'm glad that you like taking knives apart :D ..I do myself, I'd love to hear of the differences. I've heard that Michrotechs are pretty nifty, and hard to re-assemble. I do think that like many knives out there .....a heck of a lot of the price is profit for the maker :wink:
Hello Jorvik and thanks for posting, I do like to take apart anything I can get my hands on. You are right about being harder to re-assemble, sometimes find myself saying "now I'm in for it" when openning something up and you hear that heart stopping spring fly off the wall.
You heard right on the Microtechs, they are put together nicely, and if not watching placement when re-assembling, you will whined up frustrated. Sorry, I know this sounds very obvious but would hate to mess-up a persons knife because I typed something wrong but both the Piranha and Microtech OTF's internal firing mechanisms are very different and each has an innovative approach, maybe I would give the Excalibur a very small edge here for internal firing innovation but that's about it. Each is a good knife.
This Question goes out to "Harry" since he looks very familiar with great custom knives (or anyone that may know), Internally are the custom knives like Harkins Triton or Burns have their own custom firing method or are they basically the same?
Best to all