rizzuto estileto milano

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
BTB0923

Re: rizzuto estileto milano

Post by BTB0923 »

Wow, only 14 posts and over 10,000 views?!? Even with the old age of this thread, that's still surprising. Why is this thread so popular? Must be hot on google searches or something.

Boogibar, while the value of Rizzutos does seem to have risen in recent years, you need to take into account that what people are willing to pay for them is constantly fluctuating. In just the past few months I've seen one type of Rizzy sell for $1000, and then the exact same type (only with different colored scales) not even surpass $175. A lot of it seems to be timing and luck. You may have a hard time trying to get a large sum of money for one that isn't in working condition. Might be worth a shot listing it on the Sharper Deal auction though.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
http://www.talkblade.info/viewtopic.php ... 08#p216408
Flicknifer

Post by Flicknifer »

I'm still amazed at the sentimental value of these Rizzies. I used to live in San Diego in the '80s and I would frequently cross the border into Tijuana and buy these for $5 a pop. I loved how the stores would have them all exhibited under the case. I had gotten a few really good switchblades over there during that time, some stilettos and lever locks, but it was rare. The Rizzies always broke eventually since they were put together so badly. Even if they didn't break right away, within a year the blade started peaking and they would never fully close.

Now, people are spending hundreds on the auction sites for these and it blows my mind. It's not like they are as old as the Shursnaps and the Prestos, which also sold dirt cheap in their day. We're talking 1980.

I know they have sentimental value. I own a few myself (one I still have from 1980). It's a "senior citizen" of my collection but I keep it around. :D
"Down in town the circuit's full with switchblade lovers so fast so shiny so sharp.." -Bruce Springsteen ("4th of July")
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

Flicknifer wrote:Now, people are spending hundreds on the auction sites for these and it blows my mind. It's not like they are as old as the Shursnaps and the Prestos, which also sold dirt cheap in their day. We're talking 1980.
You're right they aren't as old as the Shursnaps and Prestos, but they're older than you think. The first ones were made in the '60's.
Click here for the most recently updated list of movies covered in our "movie switchblades" thread...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I'm still amazed at the sentimental value of these Rizzies.
I think one of the reasons that Rizzutos are so popular despite their questionable quailty (I've described them as the Jaguar of stilettos) is that the Rizzy is the switch-of-choice for movie thugs. Any time a knife appears in a movie, it makes people want that kind; just look what 2 seconds of screen time did for those Cupid clones.
BTB0923

Post by BTB0923 »

JimBrown257 wrote:I think one of the reasons that Rizzutos are so popular despite their questionable quailty (I've described them as the Jaguar of stilettos) is that the Rizzy is the switch-of-choice for movie thugs. Any time a knife appears in a movie, it makes people want that kind; just look what 2 seconds of screen time did for those Cupid clones.
I think you might be on to something there :wink:
sicboy13

Post by sicboy13 »

I get excited when I search Ebay for "Rizzuto" and get 100 hits...all for Phil ;)

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. - Keyser Soze
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

sicboy13 wrote:I get excited when I search Ebay for "Rizzuto" and get 100 hits...all for Phil ;)
I get excited when I search Yahoo Images for "Rizzuto" and get 100 returns...of articles about mob guys killing each other.

But then, there's is a little disappointment when I realize they didn't stab each other with Rizzys.