pinning

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
shank

pinning

Post by shank »

does anyone know a site that showes close up picke of pinning the scales to the liners of pinning the main pins i have no idea how to go about this help.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If you are using the small nails wih a pre-formed head, it's easy- The head goes on the outside of your scales. Put the pin through and cut off all but about 1/16". File the end flat. Place the head on an anvil, vise, anthing metal and solid. Tap the cut side LIGHTLY with a SMALL hammer. A tack hammer will work, but is rally too large. Tap around the edges of the pin, and in the center. The idea is to swell the end into a head without bending the shaft. Once the pin is peened tight, file the inside heads flush.
If you are using plain wire or pin stock, do the above twice-but leave the head on the outside.
Bill
shank

mikov

Post by shank »

what about the 2 main pins on a mikov they are completely straight how would you go about this.that go right through the knife .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Cut each end 1/16'' above the surface, file flat, and peen each side, supporting the other side on the anvil.
Bill
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

Hey Bill,
Any more consideration to doing an instructional video of repairs?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Actually, I haven't had the time to think about it.
Bill
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

Any idea where one might find those small nails with preformed heads for pinning?

Quicksilver
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Actually, I don't. It's easier to just peen both sides, to me.
Bill
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Quicksilver, you may try a local hobby shop. I 've found some 2 & 3mm brass nails at a local hobby shop used in building train models.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver »

Thanks for the tip Razor, I'll try that. I only hope I'll be able to leave the hobby shop with out feeding my OTHER collecting addiction!

Quicksilver