advice for a pin head..LOL

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mr_Bolster

advice for a pin head..LOL

Post by Mr_Bolster »

I'm a jeweller by trade and I wouldn't mind having a go at doing something like ghostown does on those Buck 112's.......all the detail and making the scales isnt really much of a problem for me but I'm not too sure on how I go about (or how a knife maker would go about) removing those pins that seem to be (how can I say?) spread and domed at the ends.....to tell you the truth I wouldnt mind knowing how to put them back that way when I reinstall the scales......I'm used to working with metal so I'd just hammer them spread, then use a "cup" burr with a dentist drill.....but its really got me stumped (and I hate admitting this) on how they flange both ends of the pin without damaging the scales LOL :lol:

is it a special tool, or is it just a matter of being really careful and balancing the pin whilst tapping it with a small hammer?....I've studied it and I dont think thats how the factories do it coz it seems so neat.....plus I dont think a factory production line would bother doing it this way or they wouldnt be producing to efficiently.

and to be honest I sure woudn't like to start hammering around a turquoise scale that I just spent 3 or 4 days constructing.
as useless as rubber lips on a wood pecker
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mr. Bolster
The factories use small brass brads with a preformed head. They are peened by machine from the backside.
That said, yes you simply peen both sides of the proper diameter rod. Then you file the inside, countersunk, rivet flat. A good buffung will nicely contour the outside head. For hard materials like turquoise, mother of pearl, etc. you cold use tubing, flared into a countersunk hole. You then could insert the proper diameter rivet wire and peen it into the tubing, or not. Being a jeweler (I was), you should be able to master peening rather quickly. Use your small bench hammer (1 ounce)-NOT a chasing hammer!
Bill
Mr_Bolster

Post by Mr_Bolster »

accidently posted it twice
Last edited by Mr_Bolster on Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Bolster

Post by Mr_Bolster »

sorry your termanology seems to be different to mine.....dont mean to be a pest....bare with me....I follow you except could you elaborate on this quote I took from you........what are you calling a "brad"?
The factories use small brass brads with a preformed head. They are peened by machine from the backside
peened is unfamiliar term for me too

I think I get it but look at the avatar I'm no genuis

and as for the shenier or tube you're talking bout inserting an inner wire to create wall tension in the ream or hole?

I'm with ya but just that peening bit....I think you mean reducing a sections diameter on a wire leaving it like a nail.
missaman

Post by missaman »

Please think of a brad as a small brass nail sharp on one side and has a head on the other. Peening would be making the sharp part on the other side a head as well Normally done by a ballpeen hammer.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You are certainly not a pest!
Brad- a small nail.
Tubing- tubing (hollow wire) is easy to expand gently. You could put wire in it to fill the hole in the tube, but the expanded end should hold the handle in place without it. Peening requires light hammer blows to expand the rivet wire ends into a head.
Bill
Mr_Bolster

Post by Mr_Bolster »

BINGO i'M WITH YA....peening = flaring mildly

funny how one word can make a whole explanation confusing

thanks people...I learned a new trick.....no wonder I couldnt figure it out....too simple

slot it in, hold it down, tighten it up.

you guys deserve a beer.....I'm gonna have one too
Jackalope

Scale Pins

Post by Jackalope »

This would be a good topic to see on a video. I know I would like it! :D