Ivory Scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
quicksnap

Ivory Scales

Post by quicksnap »

Has anyone ever done any scales with ivory? I have a cheap 7" stilleto which I lost the scales of and I found a chunk of ivory when I was cleaning out my grandmas house. I just want to know if a. Does it look good. (if anyone has any pics please tell me) and b. Is it fairly easy to work with. Also if anyone has any specs/sizes for the 7" bolster lock stilletos scales, could you please tell me as I will most likely be doing this myself cause I cant take it down to my local jeweler or bladesmith because of the stoopid laws in my country.
Thanks! QS
hmmmm I lurve the smell of cold steel in the mornin'
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

QS
Ivory is one of the most beautiful scale materials. It may be wasted on a new production stiletto, though. I would suggest making a trial set from wood first. Ivory works fairly easily.
Bill
quicksnap

Post by quicksnap »

Ok, thanks for the advice. Ill give it a try.
hmmmm I lurve the smell of cold steel in the mornin'
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

good advice bill, ivory should be on a real special piece - especially if it belonged to your grandmother!
plus, when i attempted my first re-scale, i think i had to make 3 1/2 sets to get one set i was happy with :wink:

good luck!