backspring sticks out

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
leighdog

backspring sticks out

Post by leighdog »

On the side of two of my knives the spring is protruding out a bit.Is this bad?What causes this?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: backspring sticks out

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If the backspring is protruding above the liners, it's caused from poor-fitting parts. It's not bad, just ugly.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Thanks Bill.I thought it might be because i store them closed.I hope you understood my question.Im referring to when you hold the knife in your hand and getting ready to open it.On the right side the spring is sticking out a bit.You dont have to reply if this is what you mean.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

Bill,when im closing the knife i can see the spring pushing out.Thats what i mean.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If the lock tab is rising off the bolster, then the spring is over-arched. If this condition is extreme, it can cause the backspring to break.
Can you post a picture?
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
leighdog

Post by leighdog »

I dont have a camera anymore.I will have to see if i can borrow one.I didnt see if that was the case.I understand what you mean now.
Grim

Post by Grim »

i also have this same problem on a knife im working on i bought the spring from switchblade kits.com and in the fully open position the locking tab lifts from the back of the bolsters and the backspring probably sticks out from the knife about a thousandths.Is there anything that can remedy this i am a novice mangler and any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.I also have pics but forgot how to upload here,but once i remember theres pics coming
DONT TREAD ON ME
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Cut the tip of the kick spring down.
Grim

Post by Grim »

ok ill try that bill thankyou,Also will that affect the operation of the knife im sure if i have to it will only be minor enough so the kickspring can still lock under the sear pin
DONT TREAD ON ME
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Probably not, but look before you cut anything!