Snappy Secret Disclosed

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Snappy Secret Disclosed

Post by tr4252 »

I just discovered something you guys probably knew all along.
My last topic, regarding the problem I was having with a dull witted stiletto, was an inquiry about how to make a spring more powerful or snappier. The knife seemed to have a weak spring, and would snap open and lock up only about 80% of the time.
This is a modified AB; the only original parts are the blade and spring, and I mentioned that it was kind of sluggish even when it was new.
So. as I've said, I'm building the knife almost from scratch, and have it apart half of the time to do various operations. It's nearing completion, and I've started buffing some of the parts, mainly due to childish anticipation, just to see it all cleaned up and shiny.
Since I had it apart anyway, and some parts like the blade are getting just a little bit shopworn and scratchy, I polished the blade, the sides of the spring, the pushbutton parts I made, and the internal areas of the liners. I did this cautiously; buffing can generate a lot of heat, and I didn't want to draw the temper from any parts, especially the spring.
When I got it put back together, it not only looked good, but it tried to jump right out of my hand when I pushed the button. It's got a whole new personality.
I can see two reasons for this, and being a toolmaker (supervisor, no less), am ashamed of myself for not thinking of this sooner.
The polishing reduced the friction between the moving parts, of course. I didn't realize what a difference that would make, though.
Also, since polishing or buffing is an abrasive operation, like grinding, probably a minute amount (not just a C.H., but a Red C.H.) of clearance between the moving parts was accomplished.
The R.C.H. reference is old time shop jargon; I think my subconsious was jogged because I saw the BBC production Warrior Queen with Alex Hensley a while ago on PBS/Masterpiece Theatre. She's so sexy as a bloodthirsty Celtic historic figure. (or in any role), it's not even funny.
But I digress.
I thought this information might be of use to somebody; indeed, even a "healthy" knife could benefit from this treatment, in my opinion.
TR
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Howard

Snappy Secret Disclosed

Post by Howard »

Yes indeed! I found out the same thing when working on a Dalton that a nice polish on the woking parts of a automatic made the action faster to my delight. I used 360 wet and dry and woked up to 60 then zam polish on a hard wheel the clean buff with aluminum oxide on a loose wheel then a good cleaning with a toothbrush and Dawn soap and thn a hot wather rinse.
tr>Did you get my e-mail reply :?:
Howard

Post by Howard »

Brain to finger lock again! My finish sanding was 600 grit wet. :oops:
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm sure the polishing helped, but more likely the blade pin was too tight originally.
Bill