11" maple rescale

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Great work Mr. Bigg. Really like the filework. I also like the clean lines without the safety. Since Mr. Nemo suggested linseed oil, i've been using it on all my wood scales to give them that rich look.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

Razor_54 wrote:Great work Mr. Bigg. Really like the filework. I also like the clean lines without the safety. Since Mr. Nemo suggested linseed oil, i've been using it on all my wood scales to give them that rich look.
thanks mr razor!,
are you saying the stock wood handled stiletto's you have came unfinished? just sanded and that's it?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

The scales i received had to be finished, just like you did. After applying the polyurathan and letting it cure completly, then i heat up the linseed oil and apply it to the scales. I've done these on black ebony and olive wood and even on stag, does a great job.
~RAZOR~
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

you put the linsed on after the polyurathane? how does it get into the wood?
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I'm not using the linseed oil to soak into the wood, just additional protection. Let it seat for a couple of minutes then buff to remove any oily finish.
Maybe i'm doing this in the wrong sequence, but i like the look after its finished.
~RAZOR~
butch

Post by butch »

That's very nice work i've never seen anything like that before,pretty cool!
Claudester

Post by Claudester »

Mr. BIGG,
You have done a excellent makeover of that 11"er, Great work my freind!
I remember the first blade you did with filework, just look where you have gone.
Take Care
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. Thomas Jefferson
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Mr. Bigg,

Haven't been checking in to the modding forum lately, but the pics you've been posting have made me wish I had been. I am especially impressed with the filework...it's perfect. Perhaps, I should send you a backspring! :wink:
BennytheBlade

Post by BennytheBlade »

getting very good at this Mr. Bigg.
How are you setting up your filework?
Are you freehanding it or do you have a guide?
Im trying to make a guide right now so my filework will look more uniform.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

hey thanks again lads!

mr_edge - how did your knife101 project go?

mr BTB - all freestyle, i cover the top edge of the spring with clear celo tape,
then make marks with a pen every 1/4" or sometimes every 1cm,
then i take the dremel by hand and put a small "knick" at every mark i want to file at, more or less as a starter groove for the round or triangle file. the vine leaves, or straight cuts were done freehand with the dremel too...scary cause one slip could be disaster!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

Mr. B., I am ashamed to say that I haven't gone beyond the liner stage...they are cut, shaped, drilled and ready for soldering. My problem is a lack of space to work in right now....and finding the time.
mrbigg

Post by mrbigg »

don't worry - when mr nemo said he was going to go slow - he would have had to go in reverse to match my speed :lol: - best not to rush anyway!
mr_edge

Post by mr_edge »

I agree...operating under time constraints will produce a shittier knife. I've already compromised by foregoing the wings/guards on the bolsters. And besides, it's something that should be enjoyed during leisure time (with a 12-pack).
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I've been using a dremel with a couple of cone shaped grinder wheel and cutter wheels do do about 90% of the filework, then use the files for finishing and smoothing.
Went onto Nemo's site and copied most of his filework patterns and transfered them over onto my knives. Would this be infringing on any patent laws. :wink: :wink:
My knife101 is also waiting on the soldering part. Got some nice woods in from Nemo and finished them last night.
~RAZOR~
Pushbutton
King of Switchbladeland

Post by Pushbutton »

Mr Bigg
As you said you still have a lot to learn but If you send that knife to me I'll go over it with my trained eye and point out all that could be improved and instead of my usual high fee the knife itself will suffice as payment.
PB