Magnets

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jeff

Magnets

Post by Jeff »

Hi Bill,
I'm planning on building a knife display case for a few knives and want to ask if it's o.k to use semi strong magnets to hold the knives up by the blade and by the backsprings in one. They might be there for a long time if I make it.
The reason I'm checking is because I know that certain different metals do not get along w/ each other. For example copper and galvanized steel combined together cause a dielectrolysis reaction and the metals don't get along with each other and flare white acidic residue pretty fast over time, til it looks similar to a corroded car battery terminal.
I'm just making sure I wont magnetize my knives or anything and I don't want to find out later that keys and other metal objects are magnetically pulled to my knives.
Are they ok to use long term?
Thanks
Leverlock switchblades
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Magnets

Post by Bill DeShivs »

They will become slightly magnetized, but it shouldn't hurt anything. They can be demagnetized.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Placing knives in close proximity to magnets will induce some magnetism.
How much this matters is highly debatable and how much magnetism occurs depends on steel type and magnet type.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I was taught not to leave micrometer, vernier jaws closed because it "promotes oxidation". The idea is that the microscopic gap will draw in moisture from the air by means of capillary action. I think the same conditions might exist with knives stuck to magnets. It may or may not be a problem in your case; I'd just check them periodically.

If you magnetize a blade, you can demagnitize it with a simple tool available at Harbor Freight.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks guys,
I'll consider everything in this post if I use them for the knives. And TR you're right, theres a possibility of the contact points having discoloration or a reaction of some sort.
It's tough to beleive something that seems so simple could do so many things. I have a great idea I think but I'll probably have to figure something else out.
Leverlock switchblades
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Inlay the magnets into a nice piece of wood, from the rear. If the magnets are strong enough, and you inlay them deep enough, your knives will look like they are floating on the wood.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

How about installing the magnets flush with the wood and then covering the whole thing with felt?
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Or Formica.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I was thinking of putting a small rack with magnets on it in a huge 4" deep oak wallmount display box I have. This will be for the knives inside to be held in order for me to put a mirror behind them on the inside of the backing to display the rear scales also without moving the knives. The type of display box requires I remove several screws to remove the backing (it's only access) and is a pain to keep opening and closing.
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leverlock switchblades
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

good idea JerrBear, I was going to say just cover the magnets themselves up with felt might be a bit easier. Then u wouldn't have the contact point issue.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Chrisadamley wrote:good idea JerrBear, I was going to say just cover the magnets themselves up with felt might be a bit easier. Then u wouldn't have the contact point issue.
The built in backboard idea would work if I didn't need to show the rear scales.
I'm glad we're getting somewhere. And that sounds right: cover the contact points!
But keep in mind the reaction Tom might have brought up may be an elements reaction and not a contact issue that felt won't help. I'm not trying to be negative "no pun intended" I just really can't mess up the knives that will go in. I'm probably making too big a deal.
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

A REAL WORLD test :?: It only took all day to think of it :wink:
All these knive "live there", I even reversed them all to show that NONE have been discolored from contact [even the carbon steel ones] :idea: And, these are next to a frequently open window :oops:
But would a closed [covered] display have the same results :?:
[ALL of them are now magnetic enough, to pick up a blowgun dart] :wink:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It looks safe enough to me Al. And thanks for letting me know they are magnatized from it.
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

All of them are used and washed from time to time so checking now and then won't hurt :idea:
None are magnetic enough to pick up a pair of ignition pliers.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Well I might have to throw magnetics into my switchblades to display them the way I would like to and I'll just find one of the tools tr mentioned.
Also Al you've got a unique and cool set of kitchen utensils. 8)
Leverlock switchblades