Magnets

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Re: Magnets

Post by Vagrant »

I made about a dozen of them :wink:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for all the help of what to expect everyone, and for the ideas.
I'm working on a different display ahead of this one, but I hope to finish this one mid summer or so.
It's a 4" deep case so there is plenty of room for me to put the backing, a little knife rack, mirror, and cover the magnets w/ felt or something and I'll have a 360 degree view of the set knives by the mirror behind them. :)
Leverlock switchblades
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

8) :idea:
Bama

Post by Bama »

Sounds like a cool project!
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

The magnet part of it shouldn't be a problem. With an idea in mind I've started to order a couple things.
Because of all the other items I have in mind It will probably take me at least a few months to make this one.
I'm taking your ideas of inlaying the magnets to wood hidden inside, and also covering the contacts where I dont use wood seperation (to avoid scratches. etc...)
So Thanks for each response.
Leverlock switchblades
Milu

Post by Milu »

I'd be worried about rust at the points where the magnet and the knife have contact even if I've never seen it on the kitchen knives I have on a magnetic bar.
"se me burlé, me fico un cento e vinti in tel stomego"
Goldoni: La donna di Garbo, 1753
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Right, none of the magnets will have contact w/ the knives.
I plan the magnetics force to go through wood. It seems easy to drill holes behind the block (without drilling all the way through the block) so the round magnets are hidden, but still draw force to the wood block and have no contact. I need the blocks to space the knives away from the backing anyway so the mirrors will fit behind them.
I've ordered some strong 5/8" small round magnets and a couple other little things to check it out.
Leverlock switchblades
john

Post by john »

Hi Jeff_75,
That's a nice project you started. I think your on the right track not to have the magnets touch the blades. Neodymium (more precisely Neodymium-Iron-Boron) magnets are the strongest permanent magnets in the world. You might want to check web for dealers.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the info John. I actually have several sizes and types of them.
The display is about 60% to completion, I need my #4 knife for it.
The magnets I will be using (4) will be metal screwed to the backing. These are the ones I've had in mind for when the time comes. Although I may find some good epoxy coated magnets, we'll see. It's a slow hobby for me.
http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BY0X08BR
Leverlock switchblades
john

Post by john »

Hi Jeff,
You shouldn't rush a project like your display case. I know that if I was building one I would want it to be just right Explore your options; I'm sure you'll find the right solution that works. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished display case.
John
John

john

Post by john »

Hi Jeff,
Did you fill your display case yet? I'd like to see what you did with it. I fully understand if you haven't had a chance to finish it. I know how life can get in the way of things.
John
John

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

An arrangement months ago on the 4th knife was made with an understanding that it will take many months. I havn't talked to Walt in a while now, but he'll call when it's time.
Plans since April including the custom order are that the scales are/were being made in Italy and the knife will be finished by Walt when the next flatguards are done.
After I have this 4th knife for my case I'll start arranging it. I've got everything else except the magnets. Stay tuned next year.
I have to wait months upon months often for good knife and I have many in line to go out, but the wait is an enjoyable part of the knife collecting hobbie for me and I'm in no hurry.
Leverlock switchblades