Mammoth ivory?

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Falcon wrote:I thought Siberia is just too far away to go and collect mammoth ivory so I drove over to the La Brea Tar Pits. But to my shock the tusks are all covered with black gooey stuff! :shock: http://www.tarpits.org/
The best "wax" to use :wink:
ateam940

Mammoths

Post by ateam940 »

Hello. I have read that Russian nobility was still hunting and bagging Wolly Mammoths until the late eighteenth century. Just over two hundred years ago. Dave
Keep your head down and your powder dry
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: Mammoths

Post by JerrBear »

ateam940 wrote:Hello. I have read that Russian nobility was still hunting and bagging Wolly Mammoths until the late eighteenth century. Just over two hundred years ago.

Mr. ateam940,

What the hell is a "Wolly Mammoth?" What the hell are you reading?

If you mean by "hunting," 'looking for,' and if you mean by "bagging," 'putting inna bag,' you are probably correct...

Otherwise, slap yourself inna face and go stand inna corner because you really are "out there!"
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Teddy
Britannicus Geriatricus

Post by Teddy »

ateam940 wrote:Hello. I have read that Russian nobility was still hunting and bagging Wolly Mammoths until the late eighteenth century. Just over two hundred years ago. Dave
The "experts" are all convinced that mammoths became extinct around 10,000 yrs ago... but they have been known to be wrong before.. :twisted:

All the best
Teddy
ateam940

woolly mammoths

Post by ateam940 »

A woolly mammoth is a heavy coated mammoth common to colder portions of the northern hemisphere. Mammoths are any of numerous extinct elephants widely distributed in the pleistocene epoch. Distinguished by molars with cement filling the interstices, also by the large size, very long upcurved tusks and well developed body hair. The Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius) is known not only from fossil remains but from paleolithic drawings and from entire cadavers unearthed in Siberia. I am afraid my source about hunting and killing these critters is somewhat weak as it is from a novel. Read 'Poland' by James Michener, it is in there. The fact that cadavers are still found intact is evidence that these elephants have been extinct for a very short time, at best, so there is a good possibility that these animals were still present recently enough to have been hunted by modern man. Hint to JB: try a dictionary next time.
Keep your head down and your powder dry
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Re: woolly mammoths

Post by JerrBear »

ateam940 wrote: I am afraid my source about hunting and killing these critters is somewhat weak as it is from a novel. Read 'Poland' by James Michener, it is in there. The fact that cadavers are still found intact is evidence that these elephants have been extinct for a very short time, at best, so there is a good possibility that these animals were still present recently enough to have been hunted by modern man. Hint to JB: try a dictionary next time.

I'm speechless!
JerrBear
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

That stuff about Russian Nobels hunting the Wolly Mammoth sure sounded like a shaggy dog story to me. :P
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Teddy wrote:The "experts" are all convinced that mammoths became extinct around 10,000 yrs ago
Poppycock i say :!:
Why just two years ago i had a pink one charge the still in the back woods :shock:
It was a hell of a fight,it knocked me out :( but i must have ran the beast off :twisted:
When i woke up it was gone,and no damage had been done :D
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

teq,

Next time drain the anti-freeze out of the radiator before using it as your condenser. Product will be smoother with far fewer hallucinations, not to mention blindness and brain death :twisted:
Last edited by natcherly on Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

Natch,
Thanks for the advice,I'm still new at this :!:
I wondered why my customer list has been dropping the last couple of months :oops:
teq
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Teddy wrote:The "experts" are all convinced that mammoths became extinct around 10,000 yrs ago
tequiza wrote: Poppycock, I say :!:
Why just two years ago I had a pink one charge the still in the back woods. :shock:
It was a hell of a fight - It knocked me out! :( But I must have ran the beast off. :twisted:
When I woke up it was gone, and no damage had been done. :D

Mr. tequiza,

MOS' funnyness!

(I'm not so sure no damage was done).

:lol: HO! HO! :lol:
JerrBear
The Falcon

Post by The Falcon »

ateam940 wrote:Hello. I have read that Russian nobility was still hunting and bagging Wolly Mammoths until the late eighteenth century. Just over two hundred years ago. Dave
You know what pranksters those Siberian peasants can be. :D
This was the big-game equivalent of the "Potemkin Village." Some merry/drunken villagers raided some local zoos and appropriated a small herd of ordinary everyday elephants. To the purloined pachyderms they "Super-Glued" some bear hides and attached some carved tree trunk extensions to the tusks. :D
Thus when Cathy the Great and her royal hunting party dispatched the hairy beasts they actually thought they had bagged some honest-to-goodness genuine wooly mammoths! :wink:
(as I write this I'm almost starting to believe my own stuff - I have to stop this right now) :?
I collect springblades but I carry my "thumbers."
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Mammoth meat has been served by Russian royalty but it was dug out of the permafrost in Siberia. It was edible but not very tasty since it had been frozen for several thousand years.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Vagrant wrote:Mammoth meat has been served by Russian royalty but it was dug out of the permafrost in Siberia. It was edible but not very tasty since it had been frozen for several thousand years.

Freezer burn?
JerrBear
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

JerrBear wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Mammoth meat has been served by Russian royalty but it was dug out of the permafrost in Siberia. It was edible but not very tasty since it had been frozen for several thousand years.

Freezer burn?
Yeah no-one was there to wrap it originally :wink: