scales

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
shank

scales

Post by shank »

i have a dark wood handle mikov kit is there any way i can dye the scales to change the colour.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

You can dye them darker, or bleach them to lighten them.
Or, you can use them as a pattern, and make new ones.
Bill
shank

bleach

Post by shank »

how do you bleach them just with house hold bleach or is there a certain one and do you dilute it with water .
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I've never bleached any.
Anyone else?
Bill
butch

Post by butch »

Shank,I bleached some camle bone for a leverletto kit I'm planning to buy.
I used house hold bleach full strength and one came out snowy white while the other had some yelowish brown tint to it,very nice.
House hold bleach should work for hard wood also but I dont recomend letting the wood soak the way I did the bone.If you apply a light coating full stregnth it should work fine.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I've tried bleaching too, with Clorox.

I had an old Lightning sailboat, which had some stains in the wood, and used bleach to even the color of the rudder; it removed the stains, but left the surface of the wood (phillipine mahogony) very soft and porous. I had to sand off the surface wood before I could refinish is.

I made some bone scales a while ago, and used some bleach to remove a few stains I'd put into the bone from my working it improperly. That turned out OK

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
mrbigg
Location: you talkin to me? you talkin to me? you talkin to me?

Post by mrbigg »

i'm sure if you head to your local lumber/woodwork shoppe they'll have something that will work...i can send you some maple - it's pretty darn light coloured :lol:
JAGMAN

Post by JAGMAN »

A company called 'Woodcote' sell a bleaching product for lightening wood that works great and does not open up the grain or damage the wood, it is a 2 part product you mix together to activate, it is like water and it will irritate your skin, as it dries it self neutralises and you are good to go.
I have bleached a rifle stock recently and it was almost white after 2 applications.
Im not sure if it would tarnish the metal if you plan on leaving the knife complete to bleach it though, it seems to be acidic with the way it felt on the skin, a good product none the less.
Jagman
right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before.