Removing an engraved name on a knife handle

A growing number of collectors customize their automatic knives by changing scales, bolsters, blades, doing fileworks, ... Wether you're a guru or just a wannabe knife modder, this is the place to discuss it!

Moderators: Bill DeShivs, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Removing an engraved name on a knife handle

Post by Tom19176 »

I have a few new Buck 111s and like them. I was looking at bidding on the ones listed below as EDCs that would take some abuse. How easy ( or hard) is it to remove the names that are on them? I am not looking for a perfect finish when they are removed, but these are soft handles....???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-BUCK-AL ... RTM1562569

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUCK-111-POCKET ... RTM1562570
john

Re: Removing an engraved name on a knife handle

Post by john »

Hi Tom,
Those are two very nice knives. Metal is a lot like wood. I would sand the lettering off by hand. Start with a course sanding paper, cloth or sponge and work your way down to fine. Mask off the area you do not want to scratch with duct tape or something of your choice. Carefully sand until the lettering is gone. It can take awhile. Once it's gone to the point that you're OK with use the next grade sanding material. You'll find experience very rewarding.
I've used: Micro-Mesh 3 x 4 Soft Touch Pads http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... uch%20Pads
or
3M Softback Sanding Sponge 02600 02601 02602 02604 02606 combination (Bag 10PCS) 2 of each you'll only need one of each http://www.ebay.com/itm/221458612302?ss ... 1497.l2649
The Micro-Mesh and the 3M pads last a long time.
Bill may have another idea. Lets see what he has to say.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks for the response John. Sounds like a good plan and I have some of those 3M sponge ones now. I will wait for the Grand Master Bill to respond too!...lol..He is the guy who knows the best methods! I like these Bucks and already have one I carry ( in addition to a few that are mint), but I always have room for just one more knife....Don't we all on this site!
john

Post by john »

Jello said it best. There's always room for ..... :lol: :!: :D
I'm courious to see what Bill has to say too. Maybe he'll say send it to me(Bill not me) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:
John

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could add a plate over the engraving ...
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
john

Post by john »

ILikeStilettos wrote:Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could add a plate over the engraving ...
That could work as a solution. A very thin plate glued to the knife might actually look good and it would be a lot less work than sanding.
John

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Those handles are aluminum. It would be difficult to remove the lettering by sanding-as you would also sand away the stamped handle "engraving." It might be possible to obliterate the lettering with a rotary tool-leaving the stamped surface alone.
Adding a plate is another option, but the only way to reasonably attach the plate would be by gluing it on.
I would wait for a knife without the engraved name plate.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Bill and everyone. I may pass on these then as I stated I have a few and one is a EDC already. I don't really want to carry one with some one else's name on it, and the fix seems more than the value of the deal on getting one cheap. Thanks again all....
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

I agree, that it would be best to pass on these and wait. I see a lot of Bucks up for sale a E-Bay.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
john

Post by john »

Hi Bill,
I thought of the rotary tool option, but I thought it might be too aggressive. I thought aluminum was a "soft metal", but goes to show I don't much about metal.
I have passed on engraved knives for the same reason. I don't want a knife with someone else's name.
John
John

TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

JOHN, there's nuttin wrong wid someone else's name on it................... as long as ya don't leave ya finga prints on it.............LOL
john

Post by john »

TRYKER wrote:JOHN, there's nuttin wrong wid someone else's name on it................... as long as ya don't leave ya finga prints on it.............LOL
That's the reason why I use rubber gloves. Leave no prints behind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

TRYKER wrote:JOHN, there's nuttin wrong wid someone else's name on it................... as long as ya don't leave ya finga prints on it.............LOL
:P HO! HO! :P
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?