Love Them Animals

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Viking45

Love Them Animals

Post by Viking45 »

I was just backing out of the drive and saw these mischievous critters in my neighbor's tree,ran back in and grabbed the camera- Here's what I saw 8)

I cropped the pics and you can see there are two obvious masked villains but in a "Where's Waldo" thing you can see a third culprit.
One can only assume they were up to no good,these guys were contemplating evil deeds :lol: Look real close you see a third,sometimes the second is even hard to see.
Just gotta love the Ozarks.

Love pic # 7 8)
Attachments
Coons-01.jpg
Coons-01.jpg (138.79 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-02.jpg
Coons-02.jpg (175.75 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-03.jpg
Coons-03.jpg (250.21 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-04.jpg
Coons-04.jpg (321.84 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-05.jpg
Coons-05.jpg (378.96 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-06.jpg
Coons-06.jpg (252.91 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-07.jpg
Coons-07.jpg (371.72 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Coons-08.jpg
Coons-08.jpg (238.2 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
whippersnapper

Re: Love My Animals

Post by whippersnapper »

Good pic!
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

whippersnapper wrote:Good pic!
Ha haa look at pic 7,little devil up high in the back :lol: Didn't even see him/her,in fact only saw one at first.
Mama may be close,didn't see her but I snapped some pics and left them alone,didn't want to stress them.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mos' cuteness...

I WANT ONE! :lol: HO! HO! :lol:
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
Frank

Re: Love Them Animals

Post by Frank »

Heck, around here they travel in the sewers. At the house I used to live in (about 7 blocks up the street), at 3 or 4am, you would see them come out of one storm drain and run across the street into another. I wondered about that until late one night I saw and heard (wingbeats) of a Great Horned Owl. Sorta explained everything.

VBR,

Frank
Don't blame me, I voted for Alice Cooper.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

JerrBear wrote:Mos' cuteness...

Just put your garbage out in an uncovered container and you should get plenty.... :lol: We have these guys in the middle of the city. They are everywhere!
redeye

Post by redeye »

JerrBear wrote:Mos' cuteness...

I had one as a pet when I was a teenager,he lived to be just shy of 15 years at our house .aggravating little suckers too . Dig in ya pockets and eat the butts outta the ashtrays
I am the KING of LATAMA collectors HAHAHAHAHAHAHA {EVIL LAUGH}
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

Cute but, anyone who has raised poultry, hates then :idea:
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

A week ago today I was sitting on my front porch (in an urban neighborhood) about 10:30PM when I saw a shadow onna next door neighbors white fence. An animal was headed toward my backyard. There are a lot of cats living around here, so at first that's what I thought it was. Upon closer inspection, I could make-out a naked tail anna pointy snout. I went through my house, opened the back door, turned on the light and there was an opossum looking at me. It promptly ran away. Last Friday night it was back. I chased it up my neighbor's tree with a few yells anna flashlight...

I don't know where it came from. I have lived here for 6 years and this is the 1st time I have seen one.
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

A few years ago we were up in the mountains. One of my daughters switched on the light over the front door as it was dark and she expected a visitor. She opened the door to check on the light and let out a muffled "EEEEK". We all ran to the door and saw a beastie with pointed snout and nekkid tail laying on its side in the middle of the welcome mat. Discussion ensued about what it was and how to dispose of the obviously dead creature. We gathered in the kitchen and consulted the phone book (yes it was that long ago) for Animal Control. Before we called we went to check on our visitor only to find he/she had been playing possum. The full meaning of that phrase was immediately and indelibly engraved into all our minds.....
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Interesting fact about a possum one of my science teachers told us many many years ago,butf course I got this from a wiki page because it explains it much better than I could and a few details my teacher left out.

When threatened or harmed, they will "play possum", mimicking the appearance and smell of a sick or dead animal. This physiological response is involuntary (like fainting), rather than a conscious act. In the case of baby opossums, however, the brain does not always react this way at the appropriate moment, and therefore they often fail to "play dead" when threatened. When an opossum is "playing possum", the animal's lips are drawn back, the teeth are bared, saliva foams around the mouth, the eyes close or half-close, and a foul-smelling fluid is secreted from the anal glands. The stiff, curled form can be prodded, turned over, and even carried away without reaction. The animal will typically regain consciousness after a period of between 40 minutes and 4 hours, a process that begins with slight twitching of the ears.

The one I posted a pic of a couple months back was in a standing position for at least 20 minutes before he slowly walked away. I had time to run in the house,grab the camera and back out and he was in the exact same position.
A possum is about as harmless as a critter can get unless you try to pet him :lol: They don't get into trash cans,they don't attack dogs or cats and they don't eat babies.
I find domestic cats to be a huge nuisance,they like to sh*t and pee in my girlfriends flower garden by the front door so we get to smell that as we come home. They scream and fight in our yard at 3 am and the worst part is that they have killed our song birds on numerous occasions.
We has a nesting pair of cardinals in our tree for at least four years and they killed the female and shortly after that they killed our mourning dove and all five freshly hatched babies were on the ground being eaten alive by ants.
Both redbirds and doves mate for life.
This sent me through the roof so I sent two neighbor's cats to the Lord via .177 caliber.(both were mangy tom cats)
I got the two responsible because I saw the one that got my redbird and my next door neighbor saw the one that got my doves.

This bothered me deeply for at least two weeks so I gave my nephew the rifle.
Gamo Hunter (made in Spain)
Attachments
gamo-hunter-extreme.jpg
gamo-hunter-extreme.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. Viking,

The guilt factor made you get rid of your rifle? A few years ago, I had a cat who liked to crap right where I would get out of my truck at home. It also liked killing the lizards around the house which really irked me. One day, I sent the little prick to cat hell. My guilt lasted about as long as it took me to grab a Coors from the ice box.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Bonz I have become a big p*ssy in the last 10-15 years. I have really grown to love animals more than ever.

I will say this,the shot I made was a 1 in a million...for me anyway. I saw the mangy critter across the street and it had just got dark enough the street lights came on.
I grabbed the rifle and opened the garage door about a foot and got into prone position and as he was creeping towards the street once he got about 10 feet to the pavement he started a slow trot and then into a run and I am no expert so I just led him a couple feet and fired.
Both front feet fell out and he nose dived into a complete somersault and jumped up and bolted like hell. He got about 3 houses down and that was it.
It was an absolute kill shot any deer hunter would brag about for a lifetime.
That rifle could reach 1200 fps with the right ammo but I used a heavy round called Crow Magnum (hollow points)
177-CrowMag.jpg
177-CrowMag.jpg (143.96 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
As for animals in general,I am all for hunting but eat what you kill.
Not against trophies either just eat the rest. I am hardcore against people hunting wolves,bears,big cats,crocodiles/alligators and any other big game just for the hell of it. I understand something like this can harm farm animals and have to be dealt with but that's different.

I understand coyotes and foxes can be real problems but to hunt them on a drunken whim bums me out a little bit.
A few years ago we had a little fox that would come up and take food but she would always wait for you to drop it,never took it out of hand.

I know to many this sounds "Super Lib" but I'm not,I just spent my entire life around animals of all kinds and I'm not sorry I happen to care for them more than most a-hole humans in today's world.

This is hands down my best friend on the planet-
Sophia_c.jpg
Sophia_c.jpg (153.04 KiB) Viewed 4908 times
Cheers!
Coors.jpg
Coors.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
Vagrant
Self Appointed Authority

Post by Vagrant »

The Crow Magnum is a great pellet for animals I don't love :idea:
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

Vagrant wrote:The Crow Magnum is a great pellet for animals I don't love :idea:
Yeah they hit hard and even make a different sound when fired.