HELP PLEASE!

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

HELP PLEASE!

Post by JerrBear »

A few days ago I turned on my laptop. I clicked on Internet Explorer. My home page came up. So far, so good. Then I clicked Outlook.com (my mail box). Instead of getting my mail box, I get a message that says, "This Page Can't be Displayed." Why did it do this? How do I fix it?

I have been using Mozilla Firefox to access my mail box and it works fine. I could just use Mozilla as my default browser, but I prefer IE for reasons I won't go into.

Any help would be monsterously appreciated!

I hesitate to take it somewhere because I am so "Tech StUPid" that I let BEST BUY rip-me-off for $130 buck dollars to remove a virus. I later found out that even I could have done it in less than 10 minutes. Then, a couple of months ago when I re-newed my Anti Virus protection my Anti Virus provider (BitDefender) got me for $150 buck dollars for a "cleaning" I don't think I needed...

THANX in advance for any help. I don't have anyone here who can help me...

Jerry
Bonzo
Doofus Emeritus
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon Left Coast I can still see Mt. Zoomie from my house!

Re: HELP PLEASE!

Post by Bonzo »

Mr. JerrBeer,

You can reset your pc to a previous date, which can remove all the problems. You can also reset the thing to the factory settings. Just google up how to reset it, print it out, then deal with it. You will probably lose all your apps and other stuff you have saved. Try saving all your important stuff to cd first. Or, you can do what I did, go with Firefox and say to hell with IE.

Funny about Best Buy. I too bought my laptop from them. The sales "technician" was visibly upset when I refused to buy all the goodies they wanted to charge me extra for. The well polished geek thought he was going to nail me for a couple c-notes. The rude response from that guy was well noted, I have not been to a Best Buy since.

Best regards,

Bonz
"A little rebellion now & then is a good thing"
Thomas Jefferson
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

You usually get that message if the web site itself is down or busy. Refresh the page later and try again.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks, Misser Bongo, but that's entirely too "Techie" for me. I don't even know how to save anything. I am afraid I would only make things worse. Might have to make FF my default, but I ain't ready just yet...

Thanks Mr. Whipper. Since Firefox works, I suspect the problem is with Internet Explorer...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
DonC

Post by DonC »

JerrBear:
Probably the result of a stray mouse click somewhere along the line. Sometimes just going through a normal shut off procedure can get it back. Not a restart, a shut down and power off. Then power it back on. Be sure to give it time to completely start everything back up (usually at least 5 minutes to be absolutely sure before you even move the mouse let alone click on anything).
If that doesn't work do you have any teenagers in your neighborhood? A good number of them are very computer savvy and might be able to help. Just remind them that you don't want to change anything else, just get the icon link back.
DonC
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Didn't work, Mr. DonC. Don't know any teens. Guess I'm going to have to pay someone.

THANK YOU for trying to help me anyways...
JerrBear
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hi JeerBear. If your Internet explorer got messed up, you can reset it to default settings. Remember if you have any saved passwords in Internet Explore they will be deleted along with any personsal settings.
Try the following, not complicated. Good lick.

1)Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
2)Start Internet Explorer.
3)If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. 4)Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
5)On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
6)In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
7)Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
9)Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
10(When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
11)Exit and then start Internet Explorer.
~RAZOR~
Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Razor_54 wrote:Hi JeerBear. If your Internet explorer got messed up, you can reset it to default settings. Remember if you have any saved passwords in Internet Explore they will be deleted along with any personsal settings.
Try the following, not complicated. Good lick.

1)Close all Internet Explorer and Explorer windows that are currently open.
2)Start Internet Explorer.
3)If you are running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, start Internet Explorer from the desktop. I am running Windows 7 onna laptop 4)Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer that you start from the desktop.
5)On the Tools menu, tap or click Internet options. If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.
6)In the Internet Options window, tap or click the Advanced tab.
7)Tap or click Reset. If you're using Windows Internet Explorer 6, click Restore Default.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
9)Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
A box pops up and says "Resetting user customizations." Under that is:
"Disabling browser add ons
Applying default settings
Deleting personal settings"
All 3 are checked. At the bottom is a box that says "CLOSE." That's it! Nothing happens after that.

10(When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
11)Exit and then start Internet Explorer.
HI, Mr. Razor,

I've waited for more than 10 minutes, but nothing tells me it's finished. Is that long enough?

THANK YOU for your help, but, alas, I'm afraid I'm just HOPELESS!
JerrBear
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hi JeerBear, should take under a minute. From what you mentioned, it worked.
You will not get a message, just close when done.
Once you close down Internet Explorer and restart it, can you access the Email page.
Is it only the email page that doesn't work or all?
~RAZOR~
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Mr. RAZOR,

Just went through all the steps again. When I started it up I got the original TOSHIBA home page w/GOOGLE search engine. I was able to change it to MSN w/BING.

When I click on OUTLOOK (my mailbox) I STILL get, "This page can't be displayed." As far as I can tell, there is no other problem with my MSN home page...
JerrBear
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

Hi JeerBear, have you tried to clear your temporary internet files and cache. May not be the answer but doesn't hurt.
What version of internet explorer are you using. Have heard of some issues with IE10 and higher.
Also what operating ststem are you on.
~RAZOR~
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Razor_54 wrote:Hi JeerBear, have you tried to clear your temporary internet files and cache. May not be the answer but doesn't hurt.
I've run my BitDefender anti-virus. Would that do it?

What version of internet explorer are you using. Have heard of some issues with IE10 and higher.
I have no idea...

Also what operating system are you on.
Windows 7 - Is that what you mean?
JerrBear
Razor_54

Post by Razor_54 »

JerrBear wrote:
Razor_54 wrote:Hi JeerBear, have you tried to clear your temporary internet files and cache. May not be the answer but doesn't hurt.
I've run my BitDefender anti-virus. Would that do it?

No, that's only an anti-virus.
Open Internet Explorer.
Click on tools on the toolbar.
Select Internet options.
Under the general tab, you will notice about half way down, Browser History. Click on the Delete button, to clear you history.

I have no idea...

On your IE toolbar, select HELP, then About Internet Explorer. This will open a small window with the version number. Since your are running Windows 7, I suspect you have IE8 or maybe IE9.

Also what operating system are you on.
Windows 7 - Is that what you mean?
Correct, thanks.
After all this is done, I don't see it being your Internet Explorer causing the problem.
Good luck.
~RAZOR~
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thanks for taking the time to try to help me, Mr. RAZOR. I really do appreciate it!

Jerry
JerrBear
Straydog 5247

Post by Straydog 5247 »

DonC wrote:stray mouse
Who's this guy , stray mouse ? :shock:....(.just kiddin' .. :lol: )