Laptop Battery Question

Do you want to talk about your beautiful country, family, or dog? Would you like to say where you went on holiday or how you arranged the garden? Are you willing to tell us you girlfriend left you for a(nother) loser? Do you have ANY non knife-related topic you want to discuss? This is the place!

Moderators: Bonzo, Wally J. Corpse, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Laptop Battery Question

Post by JerrBear »

Is it more betterness to leave the AC Adapter plugged-in alla time, or should I only use it to charge the battery when I get the "Low Battery" notice? Or, does it even matter?

Right now, I'm only using the Adapter to charge the battery - I would like the battery to last as long as possible...

Thank you in advance for any info...
JerrBear
Have you hugged a Bear today?
heviarti

Re: Laptop Battery Question

Post by heviarti »

Run off the ac adapter, but periodically run the battery down and recharge it. That way you have the battery when you need to run portable.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

heviarti wrote:Run off the ac adapter, but periodically run the battery down and recharge it. That way you have the battery when you need to run portable.
Thank you for your prompt response, Mr. Hevi - I was just concerned that having the Adapter plugged-in alla time might could somehow damage the battery...

How often is "periodically?" I don't anticipate taking it anywhere...
JerrBear
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

You may want to ask that question of the manufacturer. I have seen recommendations that you avoid running the battery low.

The common thread however is to keep the laptop plugged in unless you want to take it outside to the back yard, etc. Do you have a home wireless network at this point?
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

He's what I found Jerry- What will shorten battery life is temperature: If it gets hot, it will shorten the battery life.
Best thing to do, if you are able, is to remove the battery while you're at home and keep it somewhere cool.

If it's a lithium-ion battery, then they don't like to be completely discharged, so make sure you charge them regularly.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Thank you Mr. Natch and Mr. Viking - You have both been mos' helpfulness...
JerrBear
heviarti

Post by heviarti »

Also, get a cool pad. If you run it heavy you should have one.
I walked a mile in my enemy's shoes.... And then I stole his shoes.
Chrisadamley

Post by Chrisadamley »

JERR..WHAT HAPPENED TO MSN TV :?: :?: :wink:

i think it use to be an issue with battery powered items, that leaving them plugged in could diminish the battery life. But now days most electronics it doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in all the time. They just ignore the plug in once its at capacity so it does no harm...i believe anyways.

Also what others said about heat is true. You don't need to take the battery out, just make sure you are running the computer on a hard surface, not on a lap or blanket. THey have little lap things with a cushion and hard desk like thing on top to use for that.
JerrBear
MB Suckin' Bottom Feeder

Post by JerrBear »

Chrisadamley wrote:JERR..WHAT HAPPENED TO MSN TV :?: :?: :wink:

i think it use to be an issue with battery powered items, that leaving them plugged in could diminish the battery life. But now days most electronics it doesn't hurt to leave it plugged in all the time. They just ignore the plug in once its at capacity so it does no harm...i believe anyways.

Also what others said about heat is true. You don't need to take the battery out, just make sure you are running the computer on a hard surface, not on a lap or blanket. THey have little lap things with a cushion and hard desk like thing on top to use for that.
Mr. Chrisa,

Alas, MSNTV is discontinuing its Internet Service September 30th. I'm REALLY bummed outness about this...

My laptop will live on my coffee table - Glass with a 4-1/2" wooden border.

Thank you for responding...
JerrBear